//Trail Status mouse over Java // Premature Fox Fork Stanchion Wear

Author Topic: Premature Fox Fork Stanchion Wear  (Read 7261 times)

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Premature Fox Fork Stanchion Wear
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
If any of you have been frustrated by the short life of the Fox Fork Stanchions, here is a service bulletin from Fox about how to clean and lube the seals to keep them working smoothly.  I do think Fox's service intervals are ridiculously short compared to other forks that I have owned.  Having replaced 2 sets of stanchions recently, I may have to service my forks more often.
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/Dust_Wiper_Seal_Quick_Clean.htm
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
Re: Premature Fox Fork Stanchion Wear
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
I find using enduro seals help keep the dirt out much better compared to stock seals. Dirt in the oil is what will cause the damage.
Also, it is easy to change the oil in fox forks, doesn't require a full tear down every time.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »
Last year my fork was creaking when riding, kept getting worse to the point it was loud and all the time.  Fox replaced stanchions under warranty, said they were worn were pressed into crown?  Creaking went away so I was happy.

I agree short service interval is comical. I really like the fork.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »
I currently have my fox fork out in California with fox because of a premature blown seal. Very bummed that it happened the first yr I had it. Didn't even get a ful season out of it. But as long as they take care of it. So be it but I do agree I love the fox fork it's awesome.
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »
I've been using Finish Line Stanchion Lube for years and not experienced wear problems. The stanchions get cleaned before every ride. Of course, I don't put in the miles you do either.

The little bottle lasts much longer than I thought it would.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/stanchion-lube.htm

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 03:01:09 PM »
I've been using Finish Line Stanchion Lube for years and not experienced wear problems. The stanchions get cleaned before every ride. Of course, I don't put in the miles you do either.

The little bottle lasts much longer than I thought it would.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/stanchion-lube.htm

I did not know there was a specific lube.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »
I've had wear at the bushings twice now.  First time Push fixed it with new crown, stanchions and top tube.  Second time I did the seal replacement and said screw it until I start having problems.  It's doesn't get to the seal area so I'm not worrying about it for now.

Yes, Fox forks are easy to replace seals and oil.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »
Also be sure to wipe them down occasionally, after every ride, but who does that?  The lack of rain and the talc like powdery dust can reek havoc on forks.  Enduro seals are legit, but not according to Fox. I got a nasty gram from their service department saying the seals were the reason I destoryed my 180 VAN doing the Whole Enchilada in Moab, not the bushing I knew was bad before we did the ride. :D  The Enduro's might take a little time to break-in, I've run them on 3 of my Fox forks. You don't necessarily need a overpriced bottle of stanchion lube.  A quart of fork oil from a motorcycle shop is around $20.  You can use it to service your fork and add a few drops from time to time.  To measure oil volumes accurately and most importantly, cleanly, I use a large syringe from a feed store. Kind of like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Corporation-BLX0485-Hand-Feed/dp/B000YJ467A.  Doing your own fork maintenance is super easy with just basic hand tools.  There are plenty of tutorials on the Fox support website.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 12:45:42 AM »
If you use this syringe to measure accurately, how do you know how much is already in fork or how much has been lost? Most fork manufactures list to the milliliter on volume to be added to the spring side and dampener side. Also they usually spec 2 different weight oils to be used and it's very rarely 20wt. No wonder you burn up forks prematurely. Most manuf. state 100 hours useage between oil and seal intervals. Most riders never adhere to this interval and wear out bushings and stachions.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »
If you use this syringe to measure accurately, how do you know how much is already in fork or how much has been lost? Most fork manufactures list to the milliliter on volume to be added to the spring side and dampener side. Also they usually spec 2 different weight oils to be used and it's very rarely 20wt. No wonder you burn up forks prematurely. Most manuf. state 100 hours useage between oil and seal intervals. Most riders never adhere to this interval and wear out bushings and stachions.

You just don't add oil to your fork.  It should be a complete change.  The syringe is for doing your own oil changes.  For Fox that's measured in mL's, which is clearly marked on the syringe. Using a measuring cup or other graduated cylinder can get messy and there's usually 2-5mL's of fluid that don't make it.  Using as little as 20mL's on some forks that can add up.  No one said anything about using 20wt., don't know were you got that from.  I was merely stating that you can spend $10 on a measly 15g of "Stanchion Oil" or just get a quart of fork oil, do your own oil changes and use it for a seal lube, kill two birds with one stone.  No need to get snippy either.  Unless you're using the royal "you", but I doubt it.  As I said, the destruction of my fork was my doing, I knew it had a wonky bushing, but I went ahead and pounded the wee out of if for 32 miles in Moab.  Fox is notorious for being very aggressive about their fork/shock maintenance.  The plus side is a majority of stuff works out of the box and is very reliable.  With RS it's a crap shoot if you get a good fork out of the box or one's that's already leaked all the oil out. No one complains too much because they must have a massive warranty department. Here's a link for all Fox oil volumes and weights if anyone's interested. http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htmDoing your own fork maintance isn't that bad, give it a shot.  Fox has some really good step-by-step walk throughs on how to do simple oil/seal changes all the way to tearing down a TALAS or RC2 cartridge.
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:34:36 PM »
Sorry Mr.Arizona

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:38:56 AM »
Sorry Mr.Arizona

Not an official title, but yes I am a "Mr." and yes I've just recently moved here from AZ.  Thanks for the "warm" reception.

2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM

ryantrek

• Patches, the marble jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »
 I have a Manitou Relic fork on my bike, and I do have a case of the nasty stanchion wear on it. I rebuilt it Monday night, and was very surprised at how easy it is to rebuild a fork. I will be doing all of my own fork maintenance from this point on, as it's not at all a big deal!!

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
...Thanks for the "warm" reception.

About as warm as you gave us "overpriced stanchion lube" users. ;)

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »
...Thanks for the "warm" reception.

About as warm as you gave us "overpriced stanchion lube" users. ;)

As to that, it is over priced.  But it serve's it's purpose.  Just like the tub of "Judy Butter" I finally got around to throwing away, after toting it around the world for the last 15 years was.  Hopefully some people remember Rock Shox's answer to horrible stiction back in the 90's.  "Here, we fixed the problem.  Slather this stuff on your fork."  I didn't mean to sound condescending or anything of the like.  Just trying to give people some alternatives.  There are rare cases when stanchion wear is the manufactures fault.  A little TLC can go along ways.  The forks of today are not the crude forks of old.  Cripes I have a Zoke Bomber Z.1 that went 8 years before I changed the oil and that was only after one leg started hemorrhaging oil.  Buy whatever you like(even 29er's :) ), ride what you like, makes no difference to me. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:22:39 PM by DeepVI »
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links