//Trail Status mouse over Java // ??? Using Maprika In Case Of Emergency

Author Topic: ??? Using Maprika In Case Of Emergency  (Read 2541 times)

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
??? Using Maprika In Case Of Emergency
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:55:53 PM »
It has been suggested that we could/should use the Maprika app's "Send Location" feature in case of an emergency involving a downed rider.

While I understand using "Send Location" by email or text, what I don't have is an email address or phone # to send the info to.

The situation I'm trying to avoid, is calling 911 and then having them give me the email or text info. I would need a pencil and paper as well as reading glasses to write it down and make use of it. Others ride with nothing but their phone. I don't see this going very well in a stressful situation...especially if I am the injured party.

Can we get an email address and /or a phone number to text to so they can be saved on our phones and ready for use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

john7722

Re: ??? Using Maprika In Case Of Emergency
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 04:10:29 AM »
If you have Sprint Services? Forget about Maprika or anything else. I have so little serve on BC trails, I cannot even send a text if needed.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:56:09 AM »
Still working on the EMS side of using Maprika.  For now, if folks get used to using it and we use it to report trail issues, that will help us work out the bugs. 

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »
Thanks Paul.

John...Verizon seems to have solid coverage on the MTB and hiking trails.

Nemhed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
For the record, ATT had good cell phone coverage this past week when I was at BCSP.  I just loaded Maprika this week though so didn't have a chance to try it out on the trails.
"Why does everything seem cooler when somebody else is doing it?"

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 04:15:37 PM »
I also have AT&T and have no problems what so ever with coverage. This yr has been a lot better then in yrs past.
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

john7722

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:52:48 PM »
I know I need to change providers! Butttt!  if I change providers,  then I will lose my unlimited data plan That I currently have. (when I have service :-(  )

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
My wife and her friends were hiking at BCSP today and tackled Hesitation Point. Unfortunately, they misread the park map and thought HP was a loop. They found themselves at the HP/Aynes junction at around 4:15 as dusk was falling. Luckily my wife had seen a flier at the trail head which mentioned the Maprika app and downloaded it before they started their hike. The app helped them get oriented and they got back to the trailhead. So, kudos to Maprika.

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »
This is a great app,,  I actually used it to meet up with a friend @ Versailles State Park while riding. He showed up after I was already there and on the trails. So,, I shot him my location and the direction I was traveling so he could meet up and ride the other trails with me. 
Plus, after you d/l the map of the park you are visiting, you then have a map on your phone should you come across a hiker or biker that is turned around and want to find their way out.  ;)
So,,  this app does have more uses than you might think.  :)  BUT,,,,, being able to send your location to a RESCUE team is the MOST important reason to have this app on your phone.

I use Verizon Wireless on my Droid RazR Max.  Works great.
Happy Happy Happy ------- Trails that is !!!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links