//Trail Status mouse over Java // MOAB ?

Author Topic: MOAB ?  (Read 2494 times)

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
MOAB ?
« on: November 07, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »
My BUCKET LIST has a trip to MOAB on it. 
Anyone have some suggestions as to the best time of year to go ?
I've only been riding MTB now for 2 years.  Is this a far fetched notion on my part ?
Just curious !!!!
Thanks in advance  :)
Happy Happy Happy ------- Trails that is !!!

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
Re: MOAB ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
Moab is awesome, plenty of stuff to ride, from easy to crazy scary and everything in between.

Slick rock in the evening ending in night ride.
Amasa back
Whole enchilada if you are up for an all day ride.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
Spring and Fall are typically considered "prime times" for Moab.  In the winter you run the risk of the high country being under snow and the summer is VERY HOT.  The last time I went was mid-August, which is their hottest season.  We got up every morning around 5:30 and hit the trails by 6AM.  Around 10am it starts getting hot and by noon you're in the danger zone...literally.  With that said, I wouldn't hestitate to go back and do it in August again.  Not nearly the crowds as the other times, prices are more reasonable and it allows you to head up into the mountains of CO or Utah for some of their peak riding season. 

Either way, make sure you check Moab off of your bucket list as it's a blast and well worth the trip. 

LEE3

• Do It!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
My two trips have been over Labor Day weekends.  Totally awesome weather.  Plus I think it's the very end of summer travel so nothing was super busy.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
I have ridden Porcupine Rim, Sovereign Trail and Poison Spyder.  All were very cool with their own personality. I think we rode late Sept and weather was perfect.
Porcupine Rim was the most Epic, but very tough
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys,,,,,,,  Now all I've got to do is look at my work schedule for next year and figure out my vacation days and start planning my trip.  Awesome,,  can't wait. I'm guessing I can do some online searches and probably get INFO mailed to my home.    ;)

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
one thing to be aware of, if choosing to go during the summer offseason low traffic time, is that the heat isn't the only reason it's the offseason there.  Heat is somewhat manageable.  I rode in TX when it was well over 100 during the day.  They tended to be shorter, low intensity rides, but it was also very humid in east TX where I lived at the time.  Low humidity desert heat means your sweat ACTUALLY does cool you down some if you stay hydrated.

Summer (usually starting in July and going through Aug and sometimes early Sept) is the monsoon season.  What that means is strong popup storms in the early afternoon, especially at high altitude.  What happens is that the storms are focused around mountaintops because the conditions are favorable for storm development there.  However, the rain comes hard and fast and creates a high risk for flash flooding.  the "flash flood" stuff we get in IN is nothing like a real flash flood in the desert.  The rain can be happening MILES away and a wall of water can rumble through in seconds, bringing car-sized boulders along for the ride.

Otter's strategy of going riding in the EARLY morning is a good one if you choose that season.  Gives you a few hours of cushion to avoid the storms.  I worked for the USFS in southern Utah for a summer and I'd have to stop working and start driving off the mountains by 2pm (where the temps were VERY nice - usually upper 70's or low 80's) or I risked being hit by lighting.  I nearly was once and that's an experience that sticks with you for the rest of your life.

DeepVI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 06:52:17 PM »
The best bang for your Moab buck has got to be Outerbike.  You won't even have to worry about taking a bike.  Ride demo bikes for three days, free shuttles to all the big Moab trails, free food, free beer, and entertainment all part of the event fee.  Went there in '12 and had a blast.  Didn't ride anything that wasn't carbon the whole time.  Weather was perfect, high 30's-low 40's for the lows and 60's-70's for the high.  If there's no snow you can still do the Whole Enchilada or if there is snow you can start at Hazard and still have an amazing ride.  Be prepared for a beat down if you do the whole thing.  It's a 35 mile pounding.  I don't thing anything on the east coast can really prepare you.  A stellar ride though.  There are plenty of places to stay.  We stayed at a KOA cabin split between 4 people worked out to like $20 a day.  If you do go, get to the gate at least an hour early, because when they open the gates, it's a stampede to the demo tents.  Plus the first brave souls usually get some free swag from the vendors.  It should be something everyone does at least once.  It's a killer deal and a killer time.  Here's the details already for next year.  http://www.outerbike.com/
2012 Trek Scratch
2012 Transition TransAM
Keep the rubber side down!

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »
Thanks mtbikernate and deepVI !! Very useful info indeed.  Not sure when I'll get to go yet.   My lil lady isn't real thrilled about my riding there....   Worried about my well being I guess !   :-[ But,,,, I'm very determined.
All this information is very helpful in my understanding the terrain before I arrive.  Awesome !!!   Outbike sounds like a blast. Doubt that I'd be up to the after ride activities due to fatigue lol. 

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links