//Trail Status mouse over Java // Report Trail Issues

Author Topic: Report Trail Issues  (Read 92617 times)

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Report Trail Issues
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 04:38:31 PM »
A tree JUST fell on HP. Guy in front of me saw it come down about 20ft in front of me. This is just up the hill from the foundation.

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »
So that would be starting from the end of GV that meets NT? 

How do I use GPS coordinates to know where something is on a trail if I am sitting at my computer? I plugged the coordinates into my phone, but it just shows a location in the big green parcel that is BCSP.  If you had given only the GPS coordinates and no verbal description I wouldn't even know which trail to head to. 
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

schoolie

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »
So that would be starting from the end of GV that meets NT? 

How do I use GPS coordinates to know where something is on a trail if I am sitting at my computer? I plugged the coordinates into my phone, but it just shows a location in the big green parcel that is BCSP.  If you had given only the GPS coordinates and no verbal description I wouldn't even know which trail to head to.

This website's pretty handy for stuff like this:

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=39.17939,-86.22579&z=15&b=oc

At the bottom of the left menu, click Add New Object > Add Marker, then enter the coordinates like this: 39d11.375m N, -86d14.236m W

JCampbell

• GT Sensor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 06:00:32 PM »
Sorry, with my GPS I just input the coordinates and zoom in until I can see the point location along the trail.  The trees are on GV, about 0.6 miles in, starting from the NT end.  I can't seem to get the insert image to work or I could show you location on the trail map.

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 11:35:36 PM »
No, I am asking how to use the information.  I don't know how to use the coordinates to find that exact location on the trail. 

Unfit Nitwit

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 11:41:55 PM »
Mahk, maybe Paul or someone with the Google Earth map of BCSP trails can send it to you since you don't have it.
Then you can see the location pointer on the trail layout instead of just in the park when you put the GPS in on your home computer.

Even with exact locations it means more to see it on the trail layout when you aren't on the trail.

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the link and info, that's all helpful. 

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 10:40:35 PM »
Cleared a 14" oak from HP, but didn't have time to do the one on GV. 

Also:

The GPS coordinates help, particularly if there is no good physical landmark that is nearby (trail intersection, bridge, log hop, stream crossing, fire road  etc.).  I have a map in Google Earth with all of the trails and I can plug in the coordinates and see where that location is on the  trails.  But, the coordinates have to be in a particular format.  This format works:

N39° 11.217' W86° 14.635'

but this one does not: 

39 deg 11' 12" N
86 deg 14' 39" W

The above points are only about 20 - 25 feet from each other on the trail, but I can't figure out how to transpose the last part (i.e. the (") part) of the latter into the  format that matches last part (the three numbers after each decimal) of the former. 

Any help? 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 11:33:02 PM by Mahk »

dlwedel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »
An "old school" way of converting is to take the X" part and divide by 60 to convert to the .Y format.

Thus, the 12" ==> .2 and the 39" ==> .65

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »

39 ° 11' 12" N   is in (degrees) ° (minutes) ' and (seconds) "  format otherwise call DMS.  Most GPS use Decimal degree format or Decimal minute format

There are 60 seconds in each minute and there are 60 minutes in each degree.

So to convert DMS format to Decimal Minute format, you take the seconds and convert them to minutes by dividing by 60.

12" / 60 = 0.2'  add this to the minutes.  So now 39 ° 11' 12" is 39 ° 11.2'.

If the system you are using only recognizes Decimal degrees, you just take  the minutes and convert them to degrees by dividing by 60.

11.2' / 60 = 0.1867°.  Add this to the 39° to get the converted value.

39 ° 11' 12"  is converted to 39.1867°
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

suboptimal

• Training wheels on
  • rolling < optimal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 09:03:06 PM »
Thanks Pat. 

My understanding is:

Bobcat / Bobcat Connector / Weedpatch is now, and will continue to be, a three-way intersection.   

The Bobcat Connector will remain the Bobcat Connector, in its entirety.  It now connects, and will continue to connect, the threeway intersection of Weedpatch/Bobcat Connector/the triple switchback end of Bobcat, with the top of Aynes.  Although it (Bobcat Connector) is currently an advanced trail it will eventually be made easier (see below on Weedpatch). 

Bobcat (an advanced trail) is basically a horseshoe or 'U' that has the triple switchback at the Weedpatch/Bobcat Connector end, and twists and turns its way to end at roughly the middle of the Bobcat Connector (where there is a more moderate switchback). 

Weedpatch currently serves just as an entry to (or exit from) the intersection of Bobcat/Bobcat Connector.  But, Weedpatch will eventually continue across the road as an intermediate trail, and head SE to connect with Limekiln.  Thus there will be an intermediate level route that connects Limekiln and the south end of the park, with Aynes and the (mostly) intermediate trails on the north side of the park.  Aynes, Bobcat Connector, Weedpatch, and Limekiln will all be continuous, so people won't have to go on an advanced trail (Walnut) or the road to ride from one side of the park to the other. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:16:43 PM by Mahk »

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
I cleared the tree on HP this afternoon. 

I was going to head over to GV, but the chain had fallen off my saw and rain was starting to settle in so I headed back. 

Whoever clears trees that are posted here please post when you clear them.  Most of the time involved in clearing a tree is just getting to the site, especially if it requires walking in with a chainsaw.  It really doesn't save much time for other sawyers if a tree is cleared, but its not reported on the forum. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:41:28 PM by Mahk »

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 05:40:28 PM »
Thanks Pat. 

My understanding is:

Bobcat / Bobcat Connector / Weedpatch is now, and will continue to be, a three-way intersection.   

The Bobcat Connector will remain the Bobcat Connector, in its entirety.  It now connects, and will continue to connect, the threeway intersection of Weedpatch/Bobcat Connector/the triple switchback end of Bobcat, with the top of Aynes.  Although it (Bobcat Connector) is currently an advanced trail it will eventually be made easier (see below on Weedpatch). 

Bobcat (an advanced trail) is basically a horseshoe or 'U' that has the triple switchback at the Weedpatch/Bobcat Connector end, and twists and turns its way to end at roughly the middle of the Bobcat Connector (where there is a more moderate switchback). 

Weedpatch currently serves just as an entry to (or exit from) the intersection of Bobcat/Bobcat Connector.  But, Weedpatch will eventually continue across the road as an intermediate trail, and head SE to connect with Limekiln.  Thus there will be an intermediate level route that connects Limekiln and the south end of the park, with Aynes and the (mostly) intermediate trails on the north side of the park.  Aynes, Bobcat Connector, Weedpatch, and Limekiln will all be continuous, so people won't have to go on an advanced trail (Walnut) or the road to ride from one side of the park to the other.

An addendum to the above:

I talked with Paul about this yesterday and he said that what I stated above is probably going to hold true, but there is a little more to it.  I forgot to mention that Weedpatch (an intermediate trail) will run not just from the intersection with BC/BcC to Limekiln, but also from BC/BcC to the top of Hesitation Point.  Thus Weedpatch will connect Limekiln to HP so riders can go from Limekiln to HP without having to ride Walnut. 

The BcC was initially planned to go from the top of Aynes all the way to the triple switchback end of BC as an intermediate trail, which means that all of the BcC would be made easier.  But, there is now some talk of making BC a loop, which means that the (intermediate) BcC would run just from the top of Aynes to what is now the easier entrance to BC, and the rest of what is now the BcC would become part of BC and would remain an advanced level section of trail.   

Pat

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »
Tree down on NT, 12" diam, a few inches off the groond.

39 deg 11.1874' N
86 deg 13.7752' W

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links