//Trail Status mouse over Java // Rider down

Author Topic: Rider down  (Read 4121 times)

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Rider down
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »
This morning me and my group came up on a rider that had went down on the creek crossing on green valley. He had a gash on his right arm that took 11 stitches. We helped him the best we could. Saw later that he made it out ok and got all stitched up. Just a reminder to us all to take care as much as we can when we ride. And always were a helmet.
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Rider down
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 11:00:31 PM »
...Saw later that he made it out ok and got all stitched up...

I strongly suggest that someone stay with a rider with that serious of an injury and get them out.

We should all have the BCSP and BC Sheriffs Dept, phone numbers saved in our cell phones for emergency use. It has expedited more than one extraction of a downed rider.

ScottC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:04:28 AM »
I have wondered at times if we should educate trail users about the locations/routes of fire roads for these types of situations.  Any thoughts on that?

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:37 AM »
Good that you stopped to help. Many of us have or will be in a situation where we need assistance (whether we know it or not at the time!).

I always keep a small 1st aid kit in my backpack. Also, never hurts to be up-to-date on a CPR/1st Aid course as well.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
I have wondered at times if we should educate trail users about the locations/routes of fire roads for these types of situations.  Any thoughts on that?

Education of the "masses" is a tough one. I still think the park needs a handout at the gate with MTB trails, rules, emergency info, etc.

HMBA (Paul A) has placed location markers (trail letter and location number) around the trail system which can be used to advise park personnel and/or the BC Sheriffs Dept of your location in the case of emergencies. The marked locations are generally accessible by ATVs utilizing old roads and running the ridges. We ride by these posts every ride without noticing them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:56:50 AM by gmcttr »

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »
With respect to fire roads, that is a tough one. If we make the fire road system too well known/visiable that we could end up with riders using the fire roads or getting lost on them.  Some fire roads take you farther into the woods and others on to the Stable Horse trails. 

I maybe staying at BCSP on Saturday night and working on emergency routes and signage on Sunday.

Handouts, signage, etc all cost money and then few people take the time to read them. 
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

ryantrek

• Patches, the marble jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 01:31:49 PM »
 Paul raises a very good point here. I can't tell you on how many camping trips I get a park map for a park I've been to numerous times, and just stick it in my door pocket of the car and not look at it again. I am not going to lie, I rode town run 3 times before I stopped and looked at the trail head map and info board. Signage, maps, literature, none of it is any good if the common man doesn't look at it. Sadly, you can't fix stupid in some cases. I'm guilty of it myself. I've never considered the what if's of life until I needed the info I could have had by simply looking at a small piece of paper!!

gt ss

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »

Education of the "masses" is a tough one. I still think the park needs a handout at the gate with MTB trails, rules, emergency info, etc.

HMBA (Paul A) has placed location markers (trail letter and location number) around the trail system which can be used to advise park personnel and/or the BC Sheriffs Dept of your location in the case of emergencies. The marked locations are generally accessible by ATVs utilizing old roads and running the ridges. We ride by these posts every ride without noticing them.
I have noticed the trailside signs but would be hard pressed after an accident (of my own) to know what marker I was near.

After seeing the racer down a couple weeks ago and myself crashing a week earlier, I've decided to dial it down a notch or two because my wife is more impressed with me returning uninjured than me finishing 18th out of 25.  Hopefully I'll never need those signs but it's good to know they are there for our reference.

Be careful out there.

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »

I have noticed the trailside signs but would be hard pressed after an accident (of my own) to know what marker I was near.

After seeing the racer down a couple weeks ago and myself crashing a week earlier, I've decided to dial it down a notch or two because my wife is more impressed with me returning uninjured than me finishing 18th out of 25.  Hopefully I'll never need those signs but it's good to know they are there for our reference.

Be careful out there.
I also have noticed the trail markers this year,,  I thought to myself and told my buddy that rides there sometimes what a great idea they were. I don't remember seeing them last year. (must be new signage)  :)
But,,  like Ric, I doubt that during an emergency I could recollect the last marker I seen.  Guess, I'll have to make some mental notes while riding from now on.
Also noticed that the signage was updated or it seemed from last year in general.  KUDOS to the many hard working volunteers for keeping up the trails and other behind the scene tasks that we all take for granted.
Happy Happy Happy ------- Trails that is !!!

dprimm

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »
...Saw later that he made it out ok and got all stitched up...

We should all have the BCSP and BC Sheriffs Dept, phone numbers saved in our cell phones for emergency use. It has expedited more than one extraction of a downed rider.

Never thought of a direct dial.  Care to share the numbers?

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
This is from Stuart Davey's (the Rider down) Facebook page.

"Once we met up with the rescue team yesterday and things were sorted out. I was asked if I would make known a request from the team. That was that those of you who carry smartphones while riding in the park download Maprika, if I had this app, the team would have been able to locate me much faster. Just passing it on, I will have it installed next time I ride!"

Any body had experience with this APP?

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »
Steve, I read you post, downloaded the app and then, within the app, dowloaded the park map. I was surprised to see that the downloaded map is actually the very same one they hand out at the gate. 

It appears that you can "drop a pin" on the map, as long as you are within the boundaries of the park map. It looks like it isn't just the .pdf map - it's tied to lat/long and possibly topo info.

Once you drop a pin in your location there is an option for "New meeting here".  I am inferring that the rescue team could pull up the same app and find you that way.

Still drilling into it, but that's pretty cool.

Just to be clear, when you say, "rescue team", is that park personnel or local emergency responders? What number do we call to reach the folks that are on board with this app? I realize you may not know, but I wanted to put these questions out there.

:)

"Once we met up with the rescue team yesterday and things were sorted out. I was asked if I would make known a request from the team. That was that those of you who carry smartphones while riding in the park download Maprika, if I had this app, the team would have been able to locate me much faster. Just passing it on, I will have it installed next time I ride!"

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »
Steve, I read you post, downloaded the app and then, within the app, dowloaded the park map. I was surprised to see that the downloaded map is actually the very same one they hand out at the gate. 

It appears that you can "drop a pin" on the map, as long as you are within the boundaries of the park map. It looks like it isn't just the .pdf map - it's tied to lat/long and possibly topo info.

Once you drop a pin in your location there is an option for "New meeting here".  I am inferring that the rescue team could pull up the same app and find you that way.

Still drilling into it, but that's pretty cool.

Just to be clear, when you say, "rescue team", is that park personnel or local emergency responders? What number do we call to reach the folks that are on board with this app? I realize you may not know, but I wanted to put these questions out there.

:)

The best number to call is 911 if a rider is down and unable to get off the trails on their own.  Local EMT's have been working with the park management on rescue training/efforts. 
Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 10:36:06 PM »
...Never thought of a direct dial.  Care to share the numbers?

Or I could be wrong....now that things are evolving, it seems to be best to use 911 per tjuillerat's info.

ScottC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 11:10:39 PM »
Good point about not tempting riders to use fire roads.  I had the chance to see up close why we should not ride them when the injured racer had to be brought out of Green Valley a couple of weekends ago.  A pickup and gator both drove in on the fire road.  Due to the need to be working in three different locations at different times during the event, I had to utilize the fire road to hike to the appropriate spots.  This gave me the opportunity to see how well the fire road held up.  I noticed that although I could see tire tracks, they were not making what I would consider a true rut.  The road held up amazingly well.  I am sure the lack of bike tracks helped that.  I did not have a great look at the injured rider when they went by me, but I had a good enough look to say that he looked extremely uncomfortable riding out on a stretcher in the bed of the pickup.  If we were out there tearing up the fire road and creating a need for the rescue crew to drive more aggressively, we would have probably made a miserable ride much worse.  We definitely would not want to be responsible for a rescue vehicle not being able to make it through the road in an even more critical situation.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links