//Trail Status mouse over Java // Dino Race - Noob Questions

Author Topic: Dino Race - Noob Questions  (Read 6459 times)

JustJeff375

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Dino Race - Noob Questions
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »
Hey folks!
I have some noob questions about the FL trail. I've never been, but from what I've read here and watching youtube vids it sounds pretty awesome!!

I am planning on participating in the Dino race at French Lick this weekend. Can anyone give me some insight into to the trail?

Like I said I've never ridden this trail and am just curious as to what I'm in for.

Is it a very technical trail? (boulders, wooden obstacles, log crossings, hairpins, offcambers, steep climbs, etc.)?
How much climbing is there? is it steep? long climbs? any notable descents? Elevation gain?
How many miles is a lap on the trail?
How does it compare to other Indiana trails?
What is the terrain like (hardpack, rocky, sandy, soft, mulch)

I appreciate any insight anyone can give especially local riders. I'm super excited to try out this trail!!

Also a few non-rider friends are coming along to tailgate and we are staying at the resort Saturday night, so any tips there are appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance =]

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Dino Race - Noob Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »
Can't help you on many of the questions since I will be riding the trail for the first time Friday evening. However, this link should answer your distance question. Look to some of the online GPS sites like Strava to see elevation profiles. If no one else chimes in cross post this to the racing forum as well.

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »
Glad to have you! I think you'll enjoy the course! It is top notch.

I'd call it medium in technical difficulty. A few narrow, off camber sections, some rocks. It gets notably harder in the outer loop (Blue trail on the course map http://www.dinoseries.com/storage/course-maps/mtb-french-lick.JPG). Nothing extreme though.

Lots of climb, very little flat. However, it is not steep. The blue trail is a bit steeper than the green overall. The course starts with almost 2 miles uphill and ends with almost two miles downhill.

The full lap is about 9 miles.

Compared to other trails - in harder places, maybe similar to Aynes loop at BCSP? Or Cliffside at Versailles.

It is a gravelly / soil trail surface. Some sections get soft when wet.

JustJeff375

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:21:47 PM »
That's some great info! The map is very helpful, It looks like it certainly has some good climbs. Glad to hear it wraps up with some downhill haha.

Edf - is the trail open friday evening to preride? that would be kind of nice haha. My first race was a couple of weeks ago at Winona Lake and not knowing the trail at all made it much more difficult. For example, I know exactly where to carry momentum and when to conserve or push at Town Run and Ft. Ben but on the new trail that I didn't know well I got gassed because I ended up just trying to push the whole time. I'd hammer some flat turns that I thought I'd go down after (Idk why I thought that....) but end up having a super steep 75 foot climb. I ended up working much harder than I needed to to end up with the same time.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:23:59 PM by JustJeff375 »

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
The course will be marked and open for pre-rides starting Friday late afternoon and going through race start at 10 am Saturday.

N9TKF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:12:41 PM by N9TKF »
Metrology has nothing to do with  weather.

West Baden Iron

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
That is some cool data there John.

Is there any way to overlay that onto a trail map to show a 3d view of the trails?  Not sure why I would need that, but it would be pretty cool.  I use to have a topo program when I was surveying that I could do it with, but that was over 12 years ago and I don't have access to it anymore.  You could exaggerate the elevation scale to really show terrain.  I'm sure it could be done with google earth, but I haven't messed with it enough to know.

Jason
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:08:34 PM by West Baden Iron »

N9TKF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »
I think this will open in Google Earth and you should be able to exaggerate the map and zoom in in 3D.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27719067/French%20Lick%20Trails.kml

Let me know if that works for you.

West Baden Iron

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »
Thanks.  It works and it is very cool.  Thanks John.

Jason
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:19:08 PM by West Baden Iron »

N9TKF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »
Your welcome. Just for info all of the data and maps are actual tracks from my GPS

gt ss

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »
I think this will open in Google Earth and you should be able to exaggerate the map and zoom in in 3D.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27719067/French%20Lick%20Trails.kml

Let me know if that works for you.
Cool. I have yet to ride here and Saturday's race will be my first time. I feel like I have SOME idea of what to expect,

RIC0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 07:47:58 AM »
DAM I hate missing this race due to a recent injury, was to be my first DINO race and I'm on the sidelines.... >:(

It's super fun trails for those that haven't been, the blue trail will keep you on your toes for sure, enjoy the green downhill, hold on and don't the let smiles give you jaw cramps.. ;D 
Doin the possum trot

JustJeff375

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »
You guys knocked this one out of the park!! The elevation graphs are exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a ton!

I may try to preride the trail Saturday morning right when the gates open. I am racing cat3 so I'll have plenty of time to regroup by noon.

Anyone else planning on racing this weekend?

RIC0

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »
I did 2 laps last week at Frenchlick and according to strava it was 2,201 feet of climbing.  So if Cat3 does one lap your lookin at 1000+ feet.  I don't find it having any leg thumping climbs compared to many other trails.
Doin the possum trot

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »
Your numbers seem to be a little high to me. Strava shows the race loop at 778 ft.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links