//Trail Status mouse over Java // Dog thread

Author Topic: Dog thread  (Read 1596 times)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Dog thread
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »
Thread on dogs with respect to Fort Harrison was deleted for several reasons.  I would like to remind everyone that this forum is the property of HMBA and it reflects on our organization.  Vulgarity and name calling is not appropriate and will get threads deleted and posters warned.

With respect to dogs,

I only know of one trail, the one in Cincinnati, that bans dogs.  Seems like hikers and dog walkers and mountain bikers get along just fine every where else.  Banning dogs in not going to happen.

I do know of some mountain bikers who ride with their dogs off leash.  There are many rules out there so be careful in going to the park and asking for all rules to be strictly enforced. 

The trail that was closed when we build Lawrence Creek was a popular trail for dog walkers.  So you should expect to see dog walkers on the new trails.  You should also be prepared to slow down and even stop when ecountering other users, including dog walkers.  I suspect that hikers and dog walkers could point out cases where mountain bikers didn't slow down and yield when they should have.

The bottom line is that we all need to learn to get along.  If you don't like seeing dog walkers on the trail, go to Town Run.  Dog walkers with long leashes or those who can't control their dogs will likely have bad experiences and will likely chose to go elsewhere.

State Parks is working on a dog park.  The Amos Butler Audubon Society, who fought against the MTB trails is currently fighting against the dog park, which is being opened on property acquired by the park from the City of Lawrence.    Hikers, dog walkers, trail runners, and mount bikers have a common enemy who we should all be working together to defeat as opposed to fighting among ourselves. 

Be nice to each other out there.

Paul
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Dog thread
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
Sorry dad :'(
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Steel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:52:50 PM »
Way to suck up to Paul Raleighguy29
'11 Specialized Camber Expert
'95 Cannondale Killer V 500
and looking...

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 10:18:16 PM »
He just yelled at us for name calling so stop it. Or I'm telling  :'(
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:57 PM »
Don't make me pull over!  ;)

Seriously, I know first hand about the dog walker issue.  I have close friends who run and walk their dogs, and I understand their frustrations.  Just like with hikers and equestrians, we need to be courteous and considerate when sharing the trail.  If we get into an adversarial relationship with dog walkers and hikers, it only gives the birders ammo to use against us all.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »
Yippy bow wow wow...yippy yo, yippy yeah.....
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

RiverBankRider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »
Equestrians, dog walkers, birders are all cool with me.  Its those crazy geocachers and shroomers that really grind my rides to a halt.   ???

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links