//Trail Status mouse over Java // bike conversion

Author Topic: bike conversion  (Read 1796 times)

aciresi132

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
bike conversion
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:29:30 PM »
has anyone taken a v brake frame and mounted disk breaks on them?

if so where did you find a wheel set and the conversion kit?

and do you have any advice to proceeding

thanks

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: bike conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »
I did this with a older mountain bike that had the attach points for disc brakes so that part was easy.  Then just purchased a set of wheels with disc brake hubs.  Pretty simple change to complete.  The hydraulic tubing you will have to tie wrap to the frame or buy plastic stick on problem solver tie wrap mounts. 

gt ss

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »
I did this myself with the end of an old framing square. It's a little ugly but it works great.

As you can see, I'm not a great welder but I wanted disc brakes and I had a Craftsman welding kit....

for a more practical approach there's this.
http://www.bikemag.com/blog/braketherapy/

Steel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »
You could always have a custom bicycle making shop throw some disc tabs on the bike and then they could give it a nice coat of paint to go along with it. That's probably expensive but if its what you want then in my opinion it would be worth it
'11 Specialized Camber Expert
'95 Cannondale Killer V 500
and looking...

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 07:01:39 AM »
By the time you do all that it would be cheaper to buy a used disc ready frame.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:45:05 AM »
Yep, modding an old frame to take disc brakes is expensive if you send it to a framebuilder to do.  And that's if it's steel.  If it's aluminum, don't even bother.  Doing that kind of work wrecks the heat treatment of the frame.

You'd better LOVE that frame.

Best bet:

Look for a Brake Therapy adapter or a Specialized Sharkfin adapter.

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
The only tip or trick on top of the others listed here involves modifying the existing cable housing stops.  I converted from rim brakes to disc on an old hardtail about 5 years ago.  The frame had disc brake tabs so I was set there.  I used the existing housing stops to secure the hydraulic line after I used a dremel to modify them.  My particular frame routed the rear brake cable along the top of the top tube and then down the left seat stay.  The housing stopped at the front and rear of the top tube so the brake cable was exposed.  I used a dremel cutoff wheel to remove one side of the housing stop and then used a small grinding stone in the dremel to open up the stop where it was blocked off to only allow the bare cable to pass.  I then carefully drilled a small space just big enough for a zip tie through the bottom of the remaining side of the cable stop.  I stayed high enough when drilling the hole that I was no where near the structural top tube.  Finally I had some automotive touch up paint that matched to cover the exposed AL.

You have a fun project on your hands.  And a lot of knowledgeable bikers here to help if you run into problems or have additional questions.

Chris

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »
Or you could just go the Mullet route...Disc brakes up front...rim brakes in back.Sure you may end up with miss-matched levers up front...but you don't have to resort to welding on the frame (if steel) or using one of those janky looking rim to disc conversion job (don't they look like a bunch of extra weight?).

I like this old frame too much to weld on it so.....

David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links