//Trail Status mouse over Java // Tires for French Lick

Author Topic: Tires for French Lick  (Read 5577 times)

West Baden Iron

Tires for French Lick
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:08:06 AM »
Hello All,

Just found this forum and wanted to ask a question.  I'm pretty new to mountain biking and live in West Baden.  I have been riding the French Lick trails all spring.  My question is about tires.  I have Schwalbe Rapid Rob tires on at the moment and there are pretty much shot.

I have a Cannondale Trail SL2 hardtail 26" and was wondering what type of tire I should get for those trails.  I'll probably ride Brown County some too but mainly French Lick.  I realize this is a loaded question, but I don't necessarily need which brand, just what type of tire and what features I need.  There are so many options out there that it is confusing to me.  Do I want wire bead, kevlar, folding, aggressive tread, small blocks, etc, etc.  If you want to recommend a specific tire, that would be great too.  I've googled it to death, but I thought I would ask here for these specific trails.

Thanks,

Jason

West Baden Iron

Re: Tires for French Lick
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
Well after some more searching I finally decided on Kenda Nevegal tires.  Should have them on by the end of the week.  If anyone is interested, I'll give my review of these tires and compare them to the Rapid Rob tires that are currently on my bike.

Thanks,

Jason

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »
I haven't ridden the lick yet. But I have road the Nevagels. They grip good when it's sloppy but in my experience they roll slow. I prefer the continental  mountain kings much better. Grip is great and they roll fast.
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

West Baden Iron

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:57:23 PM »
I haven't ridden the lick yet. But I have road the Nevagels. They grip good when it's sloppy but in my experience they roll slow. I prefer the continental  mountain kings much better. Grip is great and they roll fast.

I hope they don't roll too slow.  I don't remember many complaints about rolling slow in the 14 million reviews I read about tires.  I might have missed it though.  I like how much my Rapid Rob's roll but they are near slicks, so I'm sure the Nevegals are gonna seem somewhat slow.

Thanks,

Jason

Syt

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »
I wouldn't be too consumed over it, any tire you choose will be great at some point and a compromise  at best elsewhere  at FL. As you probably realize, the surface is diverse  and changes with the moisture content/leaf coverage  as well.

West Baden Iron

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:30:22 AM »
I got my first ride in with the Kenda Nevegal tires last night.  I have to say I was pretty impressed with the grip of the tires.  My old Rapid Robs were wanting to wash out in some of the corners and causing a few get offs.  I stayed on the bike the entire run last night.  The rear had lots of grip through some of the wet mucky spots and did great.  I didn't notice any considerable slower rolling than my Rapid Robs but most of the trail was drier that it had been for a few weeks so that may have been part of it.

Overall I'm happy with the tires.  I would recommend them to anyone looking for a reasonably priced tire for a trail similar to French Lick.

Thanks,

Jason

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:44:20 AM »
Consider keeping the Nevegal on the front and put your Rapid Ron on the back.

West Baden Iron

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »
Consider keeping the Nevegal on the front and put your Rapid Ron on the back.

My Rapid Robs tires were shot.  I was happy with the grip from the rear Nevegal.  If I had a new Rapid Rob to try I would definitely see what the difference was but mine are like slicks and have zero traction.

Thanks,

Jason

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
What kind of air pressure are you running? It can make a huge difference on how a tire feels. Are you running tubeless and what is your weight? 
In general, I try to run the lowest pressure that I can run without the tire feeling squirmy or bottoming out often. For me at 165-170lbs, that equates to around 26-27lbs in front and 28-29lbs in rear.

Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

West Baden Iron

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »
What kind of air pressure are you running? It can make a huge difference on how a tire feels. Are you running tubeless and what is your weight? 
In general, I try to run the lowest pressure that I can run without the tire feeling squirmy or bottoming out often. For me at 165-170lbs, that equates to around 26-27lbs in front and 28-29lbs in rear.

I weigh about 185-190lbs and I'm not running tubeless.  I have been running about 32 lbs front and back.  I need to change pressures a little and see how I like it.  I just got clipless pedals this week so I was concentrating on not eating some dirt.  Hopefully the trails will dry out some more and I can do a little testing to see what I like best.

Thanks for the help,

Jason

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 04:09:49 PM »
You may be overthinking your tire selection. 

Usually running lower pressure (sub 30), especially since you are riding a hardtail, makes sense.  Using a tire with more outside tread on the front and one that rolls in the back is pretty standard.  Unless it is wet, a rolling tire such as a Race King, Rapid Rod, or a small block is typically better for your rear tire than a Nevegal.  But really it all comes down to personal preference. 

3 hours on the internet is 3 hours not riding.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links