//Trail Status mouse over Java // Numb hands

Author Topic: Numb hands  (Read 7498 times)

orestespd5

• Are you ready to ride the best? Ride RNP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Numb hands
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
I think im going to just break down and get professionally fit. Tjuillerat has been very helpfully so ill probably go with www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com. The bad part is it an hour and half drive. But other than nebo ridge (I have heard great things about them but been in the store a few times and never felt welcome) and BGI (heard nothing about there Bike fitting at all) there is nothing around anderson.
2013 Giant Trance x29 (1)
(My other trail Rig) 2011 Jeep Jk, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex system, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Nitto Tg 35x12.50/17, procomp 7069 17x9,4.56s, Ace bumper with stinger, Smittybilt 8000 lb winch, Ace sliders

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »
...when in the end it's possible the problem could be the height/angle of your seat.  Even the slightest adjustments will do wonders for your riding, power and comfort... but only if they are the correct adjustments in the first place...

+1...Slight changes in seat angle make major changes in perceived "weight on hands" for me. A level seat or nose down throws my weight onto my hands. With the nose of the seat tipped up just a couple of degrees, my weight moves back and I feel balanced. The seats with the tail end turned up are terrible for me.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »
...when in the end it's possible the problem could be the height/angle of your seat.  Even the slightest adjustments will do wonders for your riding, power and comfort... but only if they are the correct adjustments in the first place...

+1...Slight changes in seat angle make major changes in perceived "weight on hands" for me. A level seat or nose down throws my weight onto my hands. With the nose of the seat tipped up just a couple of degrees, my weight moves back and I feel balanced. The seats with the tail end turned up are terrible for me.

I agree completely with this. I have my saddle just slightly nose up from level and it made a difference in comfort and hand pressure
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

AL

• Volunteer and help build Mountain Bike Trails!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »
For a professional fit near Anderson you may want to look into Ken Nowakowski
Who i think is based out of Daleville. Hes well known in roadbike/tri circles not sure of his mtb experience you would have to ask him.  Probikesltd.com

Adim_x

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
Something to think about is bike posture.  I personally hunch my back and then use my arms to support my upper body weight, especially noticeable on my road bike.  Then I get more weight on hands, wrists, arms, perineum...etc....You have to think about sitting up straight and bending over at the hips, kinda rotating them forward.  This recruits your glutes more into the pedal stroke and should help put more pressure on pedals and less on your hands.  This is far easier said than done, form first. 

orestespd5

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 11:41:47 PM »
After talking to a few guys at rangeline tonight I'm thinking shorter stem maybe a 70mm with 6 Rise (i have 90mm with 10 rise) and a Standard seat post with zero offset (I have a setback) this should get me more upright and help get some weight off my wrist.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:19:06 AM by orestespd5 »
(My other trail Rig) 2011 Jeep Jk, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex system, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Nitto Tg 35x12.50/17, procomp 7069 17x9,4.56s, Ace bumper with stinger, Smittybilt 8000 lb winch, Ace sliders

Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 08:14:03 AM »
Here is one of many good articles on doing a basic bike fit:

- http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

I would pay special attention to the paragraphs that deal with the saddle angle (slight tilt up), saddle height and sadde fore / aft positioning

Here is another:

- http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-anatomy-of-bike-position

Hope these help, even if just a little

What's inside the bass wants out...

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »
So you decided against a proper bike fit?
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

orestespd5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
I really don't know... I can't seem to pull the trigger. $250 to get fit sounds crazy to me. I found the wrench science fit system online I'm going to do that today and see how's that works out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:31:07 AM by orestespd5 »

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I really don't know... I can't seem to pull the trigger. $250 to get fit sounds crazy to me. I found the wrench science fit system online I'm going to do that today and see how's that works out.

FYI - We do offer the Abridged Fit for only $125.  You can always "upgrade" to the Relationship-based, life-time fit afterward if you decide.  Just letting you know you have options.  You could easily spend $125 on parts alone.  Hope you find something that helps!

http://indytriple.tripod.com/bluegrassbicyclecompany/fitting-studio.html
Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
Yah, that is enough for sure..... But who knows if you could be doing permanent damage, things going numb def not good for you.
I have used online guides before and have helped but I've been lucky to not have any numbing issues. Worst was a pain in the knee and sliding seat forward slightly cured that.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »
I know you've had all kinds of input on this. I am going to offer something different, and while it may not help you, it may help someone else who follows this thread.

When I got my XC hardtail last year, I found the grips that came with it were too small for my hands. They were thin and lightweight, as I guess every gram counts somewhere along the way, but I have big hands, and trying to find a comfortable position was challenging. While riding, I'd first experience some pain and then eventually numbness. It was worse on the bumpiest trails, maybe because I was holding on tighter, or because of all the extra vibration and motion.

I ended up going with a set of Ergon GS1 Large grips. After a few minutes on the trail and a little fine-tuning to get the angle set up right, I found them to be much more comfortable. The platform fits under the pad on my palm real nice and prevents my wrist from rolling too far over, reducing the amount of carpal tunnel pressure I'd previously been experiencing.

Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
I ended up going with a set of Ergon GS1 Large grips

I'll second that, I love my ergon grips. I also have an air fork that is a good bit more "plush" than what most people would probably like (2012 Manitou Tower Pro 29er... and the biggest "ding" in the online reviews is that some feel it is a bit too "plush"... but I like it!), but at the pressure setting I run it at I get the FULL range of the fork without bottoming out (or I've never noticed that it does) but it is really, really plush and helps. I have tried putting more air in it a few times to stiffen it up the response and I noticed a BIG difference in fatigue in my hands, arms and shoulders just from more jarring going on...
What's inside the bass wants out...

orestespd5

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »
I have been running these grips for about 4 years and never had any Problems with this till I got the Niner. I called BOI and I'm going to head down there next week and see if they can help me out. If that don't work I'll be making a trip to Brownsburg!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:44:59 PM by orestespd5 »

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 10:48:24 AM »
I have been running these grips for about 4 years and never had any Problems with this till I got the Niner. I called BOI and I'm going to head down there next week and see if they can help me out. If that don't work I'll be making a trip to Brownsburg!

We're about 7 miles from BOI..  just fyi.  Give us a call if you want to stop in and chat while you're on this side of town.
Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links