//Trail Status mouse over Java // First Time FL Questions

Author Topic: First Time FL Questions  (Read 3384 times)

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
First Time FL Questions
« on: April 23, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »
I am going to be at French Lick for a work retreat from Friday until 10 am Saturday. While Friday is too busy, I was thinking of waking up early and trying to get a lap in before our group bus leaves Saturday morning.

First, I saw that the trails open at 6 am. Is this still the case?

Unfortunately, I cannot take a bike with me, and was thinking of renting one. Does anyone know if the folks handling the rental would be amenable to me putting my clipless pedals on the bike for the duration of the rental? I never realized how used to clipless I was until I went biking in Vermont last year and left my pedals at the hotel. I went with flats and felt like I had no control the entire ride. Not a fun time.

Thanks,
Ed

Traci

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA Member and enjoying the ride of my life
    • View Profile
Re: First Time FL Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »
I am not sure just how willing they would be to swap out the pedals, however if you contact the hotels guest service, they may be able to tell you more on that. They rent Trek and Gary Fisher bikes, believe they are both hard tails.
If you had the option of being able to bring the tool for swapping out your pedals, you may be better off and not have to deal with the hassle. I am not sure how early the rental shop will open. The best advice I would give to you is to call the hotel direct and ask for the PRO SHOP. They will be able to give you a better answer to most all of the questions regarding rentals and times.

As far as the trail goes, get out and enjoy it. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask and we can help out as much as we can.

Thanks and happy riding

Traci
HoosierBiker

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »
Thanks for the response. I did call, and guest services said the bike rentals are out of the Kid Fest building, not the pro shop. Unfortunately that doesn't open until 8 am. I was hoping the pro shop would do the rental since I imgaine it would be open earlier for the golfers since my group leaves at 10 am. I can still get a lap in so I might give it a shot. I didn't bring up the pedal question. The guest service rep was just reading off of an info sheet so I doubt she would have known. I think I'll have the pedals in my jersey pocket with a small wrench and just switch them out at the trail head.

This is assuming the trails are open by Saturday a.m.

Traci

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
Well, I know they had the bikes at the start at the PRO Shop, however they moved them to the Kids Fest building just to cause less confusion, etc with rental patrons.
That was what we were concearned about was the time they would open. Sorry you wont have more time. I know you can at least get a loop done on the green trail and still get to the bus by 10:)

Also just to clarify, FL does not usually close the trail.....the trail lights are red on the HMBA board as a recommendation for current conditions, as we try to report up conditions since we live close by. I believe the rain is supposed to end today, but we have a chance of it daily for the next several. I will post up as often as i can to let you know ahead of time, but since you will be here, you will have a pretty good idea.

I hope it dries up enough for you to get to enjoy it some. Did you ask about possibly renting the bike friday evening before it closes for use the next morning? I am sure they can work something out with you if you call the actual Kids Fest rental area.?? Just a thought.

Traci

HoosierBiker

Traci

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »
Well, did you get to ride on Saturday at FL?
HoosierBiker

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
Sorry, missed this post. I was unable to ride when I was there back in April. Our departure time was bumped up to 9 am (originally was 10 am), which combind with the 8 am opening time for the bike rental didn't leave me sufficient time to get a feel for the trails. However, my plans are to drive down early this Saturday and tackle the trails. Assuming everything is dried out.

N9TKF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »
I walked some of the trails last night and they are very sloppy in spots, definitely red at this time. Might be dried out enough on Saturday, but expect some deep muddy spots on the trails that aren't dried out.
Metrology has nothing to do with  weather.

edf

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
Hmm. How long are these muddy sections? I don't mind a bit of hike a bike, but if it is going to be constant I might steer elsewhere.

At this point i may have to rely upon Youtube to get an idea of the trail before the DINO race.

N9TKF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
Not very long on most, some are rideable though.
Metrology has nothing to do with  weather.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links