//Trail Status mouse over Java // SWW Trail conditions - 2013

Author Topic: SWW Trail conditions - 2013  (Read 23959 times)

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
Re: SWW Trail conditions - 2013
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2014, 08:16:47 AM »
Tried to ride yesterday, no can do. However, while hiking noticed bike tracks! Impressive, was this a FAT bike?

With the amount of snow we've received, fatbikes have the only chance of riding in this stuff.  And the fatter, the better.  I've had trouble in anything deeper than eight inches running 29 x 3 on my Krampus.  I suspect 3.8 or wider will work much better.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

KevinG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2014, 12:31:46 PM »
for anyone getting the warm weather itch to go ride, I was just at the trail and it is still not ridable, with a fair amount of snow at the trailhead. 
SWW Trail Bum
hmba.org script guy

ScottC

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »
My wife and I spent about an hour hiking before dark.  We left the parking lot and headed counter clockwise on Lenape until we reached the levy.  The trail was fine.  At that point, we headed up the hill to the new multi-use trail (1st one built last year) and then headed up the old Mann Hill trail.  The climb up Mann Hill was fine, but what we found after that was not.  The Big Fire flow trail from the top of the hill to the parking lot is not just muddy, it is getting mangled.  When we got back to the parking lot, we headed out on Lenape clockwise until we got to the last gravel road bailout point where you can still see the parking lot.  It was in pretty good shape.  Based on what we saw, Lenape was rideable.  We did not get a chance to look at the northern part of the trail, but worst case you could bail onto the gravel road briefly and take the shortcut to the levy if the northern area is different than what we checked out.  It would shorten the loop, but at least it would be something.

The flow trail will not be ready to ride any time soon, although quite a few have been doing it anyway.  As I said, it is getting mangled pretty bad.  If it is possible to temporarily close this trail, I think it should be considered.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
My wife and I spent about an hour hiking before dark.  We left the parking lot and headed counter clockwise on Lenape until we reached the levy.  The trail was fine.  At that point, we headed up the hill to the new multi-use trail (1st one built last year) and then headed up the old Mann Hill trail.  The climb up Mann Hill was fine, but what we found after that was not.  The Big Fire flow trail from the top of the hill to the parking lot is not just muddy, it is getting mangled.  When we got back to the parking lot, we headed out on Lenape clockwise until we got to the last gravel road bailout point where you can still see the parking lot.  It was in pretty good shape.  Based on what we saw, Lenape was rideable.  We did not get a chance to look at the northern part of the trail, but worst case you could bail onto the gravel road briefly and take the shortcut to the levy if the northern area is different than what we checked out.  It would shorten the loop, but at least it would be something.

The flow trail will not be ready to ride any time soon, although quite a few have been doing it anyway.  As I said, it is getting mangled pretty bad.  If it is possible to temporarily close this trail, I think it should be considered.
Thank for the report from the ground Scott! I'm afraid those who would ride on vulnerable trails don't read this forum.   We could try putting yellow caution tape across the trail entrances, but those can be defeated easily, usually by the same riders that don't read this forum.  Officially closing the trails would require permission by IndyParks, if I'm not mistaken.

We may need to investigate into making a Trails Closed sign similar to the one used at Town Run.  We can't close SWW like we can do at TRTP, since SWW is multi-purpose.
David Gardner
Southwestway Trail Bum

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »

Thank for the report from the ground Scott! I'm afraid those who would ride on vulnerable trails don't read this forum.   We could try putting yellow caution tape across the trail entrances, but those can be defeated easily, usually by the same riders that don't read this forum.  Officially closing the trails would require permission by IndyParks, if I'm not mistaken.

We may need to investigate into making a Trails Closed sign similar to the one used at Town Run.  We can't close SWW like we can do at TRTP, since SWW is multi-purpose.
All that being said we knew that the new trails at SWW were going to need some maintenance this spring.  Just par for the course after new trail construction.  Remember how bad Lawrence Creek was at Fort Ben last spring.  A couple of well attended work sessions should get the trails dialed in.  Until then...urban assault! 
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »
The trail needs riders now.  Soil conditions are ideal for packing down the ruts and craters.  Please try to ride the lip of the outside edge to reduce cupping.  Trails will be slow for a while but should improve throudh the weekend.

RJ

• View Profile
    • Indy's best bike shop!
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
Like Alex said above the trails need ridden to pack in the damage done mostly by hikers, dogs and runners. I rode Lenape and Mann Loop. Mann loop is 100% rideable with no areas to avoid.
Lenape has a few areas that IMO need to be hiked around. Going clockwise, the first armored section, the first picnic table area and the section just before and just after the big rock. Other than that the trail was either really solid or damaged but rideable. I was quite surprised by the amount of smooth dry trail but the areas that are rough are really rough. I didn't ride or check any other trails so I can't report on those.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
OK, based on this I've thrown the YELLOW light.  Ride when you can!  I'll help out by throwing the Knards back on the Krampus and drop the air pressure down LOW.  :)

Dave
David Gardner
Southwestway Trail Bum

ScottC

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2014, 11:37:55 PM »
The trail needs riders now.  Soil conditions are ideal for packing down the ruts and craters.  Please try to ride the lip of the outside edge to reduce cupping.  Trails will be slow for a while but should improve throudh the weekend.

I think that is some maintenance work people can enjoy!  When I felt how strong the wind was yesterday afternoon, I wondered if it would help firm things up quicker than I expected.  There were some areas with that play dough like consistency Tuesday evening that we were packing down with our feet.  However, most of the flow trail was still pretty sloppy then.

RJ

• View Profile
    • Indy's best bike shop!
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »
Forgot to mention in my previous post there are two trees down on Lenape. One on the levee and if going counter clockwise just off the levee after the first bridge. Both will need a chainsaw.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

ted_kissel26

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2014, 12:36:59 PM »
Any chance those trees get chainsawed before Sunday? 

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2014, 10:34:51 AM »
I'll be starting a new 2014 trail conditions thread.  This thread will be locked.

Ted, the trees will be dealt with soon.  We have another HMBA certified chain saw operator now so we can dispatch fallen trees more quickly.

Dave
David Gardner
Southwestway Trail Bum

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links