//Trail Status mouse over Java // O'Bannon Woods Riders--Feedback Wanted!

Author Topic: O'Bannon Woods Riders--Feedback Wanted!  (Read 8456 times)

andyfloyd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: O'Bannon Woods Riders--Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
With the new trails getting much closer to completion, O'Bannon should be on everyone's radar for at least one visit this season.

Alex and Chad are doing some awesome work, taking advantage of the incredible terrain. With natural rock outcroppings and major elevation changes, it is a unique location, unlike anything else in Indiana.

It's actually as close as you'll get to Pisgah, without leaving Indiana...

I went and rode Obannon last weekend and ran into a guy who helped build the new trails. Basically I climbed up Rocky Ridge and then saw a massive Berm so I took a right and those are the new trails. I will say that the only place locally I have found to be as good as Obannon was Brown Co. The new trails are AMAZING. They are fast, flowy, the berms are amazing. One section has table tops with lips and you can get a bunch of air, I was blown away with how good Obannon is. You want flow, you got it....rocks....got that too...creek crossings...yep....huge berms....sure. Anything you want it out there at Obannon. I live in Louisville and will make the trip to Obannon instead of Waverly from now on. I want Obannon to be my home course. Alex and the guys did a great job.

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »

I went and rode Obannon last weekend and ran into a guy who helped build the new trails. Basically I climbed up Rocky Ridge and then saw a massive Berm so I took a right and those are the new trails. I will say that the only place locally I have found to be as good as Obannon was Brown Co. The new trails are AMAZING. They are fast, flowy, the berms are amazing. One section has table tops with lips and you can get a bunch of air, I was blown away with how good Obannon is. You want flow, you got it....rocks....got that too...creek crossings...yep....huge berms....sure. Anything you want it out there at Obannon. I live in Louisville and will make the trip to Obannon instead of Waverly from now on. I want Obannon to be my home course. Alex and the guys did a great job.

Thanks for the great review. I was out yesterday afternoon and ran into a couple of local guys who had just finished riding. I asked them what they thought-- their comment was something to the effect--"There are people who will drive six or seven hours south to ride stuff like this. It's awesome to think it's practically in our back yard."

That sounds like another positive review.

Don't forget-- May 30th Grand Opening/Volunteer Appreciation Day. Check out the other posting and please RSVP if you'd like to attend!

andyfloyd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 04:19:40 PM »
I would love to make it out on the 30th to ride the new trails and meet some people. I do have kids so I would have to see if first I am off work and second if its ok with the woman.  :o

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
Anyone who rides O'Bannon Woods, looking for some input. Maybe you've only been there once or twice, maybe a few times, or maybe you consider it your "home track."

The main purpose is to get a feeling of how many HMBA forum users ride there and if the forum is actually an effective way to get the message out to riders about upcoming events and work days.

A second purpose is to get a feeling if there are riders who may be interested in group rides, building additional trails in this region of Southern Indiana, occasional "club" type events, etc.

Please post a reply.

Thanks!

I live in Bloomington and am only about 20 minutes from BCSP, so that is my usual destination.  But, I am in Louisville (Prospect actually) about 2-3 weekends a month.  Last year I was new to the trails in the area and rode various places, including once  at O'Bannon.  Rough, rugged, and a lot of fun!  I would like to get out there more often this year, especially after reading about the new trails. 

This forum is my main go-to for mtb info. 

I am generally not much for group rides.  But, I would be interested in riding with a small group  (4-5 max), if it fit my schedule. 

What is the best place to find maps with the new mtb trails? 

Thanks!
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »

I live in Bloomington and am only about 20 minutes from BCSP, so that is my usual destination.  But, I am in Louisville (Prospect actually) about 2-3 weekends a month.  Last year I was new to the trails in the area and rode various places, including once  at O'Bannon.  Rough, rugged, and a lot of fun!  I would like to get out there more often this year, especially after reading about the new trails. 

This forum is my main go-to for mtb info. 

I am generally not much for group rides.  But, I would be interested in riding with a small group  (4-5 max), if it fit my schedule. 

What is the best place to find maps with the new mtb trails? 

Thanks!

The newest, most up-to-date maps are available on the MTBProject website, or click on the HMBA main page "TRAIL GUIDE" pull-down and the "O'Bannon Woods State Park" link.

The_Bike_Hive

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 07:07:20 AM »
A friend and I are on a 5 day road trip, riding 6-7 trails across the Kentucky-Indiana state line.  We rode obannon on the second day and loved it.  We weren't sure if we should ride there because of all the stories we read about it taking 8-10 hours and people recommending stashing water along the trail.  In fact, last year we  decided not to ride there because of those stories.  This year we decided to check it out anyway and were very impressed!  The new trail is incredible.  I've never ridden any trail like it in Indiana.  The new flow trail reminds me a lot of trails in Snowshoe with the big flowing berms and the sweet jumps (We even rode back to the top and rode down again).  We could still tell it's a work in progress and will only get better.  Getting to the flow trail was a treat for us too since the trail is far more rocky and technical than most trails we normally ride.  For sure not a beginner trail.  We were challenged the nearly the entire ride and we finished completely wiped out. A welcome change to the groomed fast trails at BCSP.  Stretch Walnut  (my favorite trail at BCSP) out for 10 miles and that would come close to describing it.  Not for everyone, but we loved it and plan to go back again.

We usually check the forums here for current trail conditions and maps.
Since we live in Indy I'm not sure we'd get down there for many group rides,  although I'd have a good reason to go back!

I think it's important to note that those stories of 8-10 hour ride with no way to cut it shorter refer to the Adventure trail.  The new trail is shorter and we were able to finish it in less than two hours at a fairly easy pace.

Mahk

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 08:02:32 AM »
lthough I'd have a good reason to go back!.........The new trail is shorter and we were able to finish it in less than two hours at a fairly easy pace.

Do you mean less than 2 hours to do Breedan Ridge (the new trail) by itself, or along with some of the other trails? 
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERô professional.  
More info: www.facebook.com/MarkAdamsCFP/

andyfloyd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 10:09:18 AM »
I did two laps at obannon yesterday, actually I really like potato run too, climb to the top and descend the tulip valley entrance. Breeden takes me about 16 minutes in either direction.

PKemppainen

• O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 07:00:56 PM »

It was a great day on the trail today. Breeden Ridge was in awesome shape.

Derek was just floating down the hill...

andyfloyd

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 10:53:17 PM »
Fetko getting huge air. He asked me to come out today, but I went to bcsp. Maybe I'll come out next time though, breeden is as good or better than any trail at bcsp.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links