//Trail Status mouse over Java // Does anyone know where I could get a job

Author Topic: Does anyone know where I could get a job  (Read 2349 times)

Steel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Does anyone know where I could get a job
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »
I don't know where to put this. I know it's not bike related but I have tried for about 5months to get a job but no one seems to want to hire me. I'm looking for a job that I could do a couple of hours after school and work more on the weekends. If you have a small business and looking for someone I could be that person I will also take any suggestions for somewhere.
'11 Specialized Camber Expert
'95 Cannondale Killer V 500
and looking...

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
Re: Does anyone know where I could get a job
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:33:32 PM »
Have you tried applying at any bike shops?

Steel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:07 PM »
Yeah I applied to ICS and Matthews. I think I might get a job there but they are currently not hiring due to off season. Though I think I might have applied to BGI north but I can't remember.
and looking...

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 07:21:57 AM »
 The company I work for is always looking for people. Although there is allot you must go through to be hired. Work nights, weekends, Holidays, be drug free and willing to be tested at random, no criminal history, willing to be used and abused, might be laid off depending on work load.
The company is AAR Aircraft Services Indianapolis and we are located at the Airport in the old United Maintenance base. We are a Maintenance Repair Organization working on SWA, United, UPS and Delta.
Go to their web site: jobs would be stores, tooling, utility. You must have a  A&P license or repairman's certificate to work on aircraft.

Hope it helps.

Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »
How old are you and what type of experience/skills do you have? If you're still in high school then have you tried all the usual haunts: Wendy's, Burger King, McDonalds, Jimmy Johns, Kroger, Marsh, retail like JC Penney or Game Stop... etc. With many of those kind of places you might need to keep applying every two weeks or so.
What's inside the bass wants out...

Steel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
Yeah I'm in highschool and I have applied to most of those places multiple times but the one big problem is, is that I'm a senior and looking to go out of state for college but I need a job to pay my insurance for my truck, cell phone bill, my full suspension in layaway at Matthews and other things. I have experience detailing cars and even running a desk at my school and other outdoor yard jobs.
and looking...

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
I worked at Marsh bagging groceries for awhile to buy my first bike in high school.  Turnover at places like that is HIGH.  I also worked at Builder's Square back in the day, between my senior year of high school and starting college, when the Shadeland location was closing.  I also had a tough time finding someone willing to hire someone who was going to college out of state.

Have you looked into a temp agency for possible factory work and other stuff?  I went through Manpower once to find a job for a few weeks between the end of the spring semester and the beginning of a summer job I had already lined up.  I worked at a factory called Nachi in Greenwood assembling cartridge ball bearings.

Unfortunately, you're facing a tough market where high schoolers are one of the harder hit age groups.  Adults who have had a hard time in the current economy have been moving to jobs traditionally held by high school kids.  You still have a shot, but you have to be persistent.  Now is not a good time for retail hiring, since the slowest period of the year tends to be February.  Some places may start spring seasonal hiring in March.

Keep at the grocery stores.  With such high turnover, you'll eventually find an opening.  Walmart always seems to be looking for people.  The temp agency route may turn up something you didn't think of before.  It won't hurt to check them out.

Fstr_on2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:37 PM »
Just my .02 but remember a lot of jobs like you are looking for are achieved by who you know more-so than the skills you possess.  Ask around with people you know even if you don't know them well.  Networking like this is how I was able to find jobs through high school and college.
2010 Gary Fisher Cobia

Wall

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »
Not sure where you are located but given you are shopping at Matthews I'll guess the east side.  Apply at all the Kroger and Marsh stores within your reach.  Turnover is high and hours are flexible.  Many students work grocery stores.  Also try ice cream shops.

eric05

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
I worked for Subway in high school. Officially labeled "Sub Engineer" 8) . Grocery stores and food places are your best bet. I hated working in food though. I would also recomend a place like Mikes Express Carwarsh.

Indiana Dave

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 08:40:30 AM »
I was young and dumb... Had a chance to work at an ice cream shop in high school with a bunch of cute girls, and passed on it to work at Sears in the tool and paint department... ::)
Good luck... There are lots of those types of jobs out there, but unfortunately, lots of people looking for them.
David
"The bike rescuer"
Friends don't let Friends ride Walmart bikes.

ztbishop

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »
I just heard BGI is hiring part time...they just sent out an email to a few people I know.

cas

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »
Nebo Ridge Bicycles on NW side is currently looking for both f-t and p-t sales help. I'm getting ready to post this somewhere on the HMBA board. Go to www.neboridge.com and you can see postings and submit your application.   Tim 

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links