//Trail Status mouse over Java // Sram XX1

Author Topic: Sram XX1  (Read 1777 times)

gt ss

Sram XX1
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »
I'm intrigued with the new XX1 group. Does anyone have any knowledge on this group? The reason I'm wondering is because it specs a 11-46? cassette and since I typically ride SS, 11-26 1x? would be all I need on a geared bike. I'm planning on building a geared hardtail race bike this winter because I feel racing DINO for the first time in 14 years SS would be silly with a bunch of gearies.

Thoughts?

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
Re: Sram XX1
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:17:52 AM »
I know a little.  It's not cheap!  You'll need a compatible wheelset that will accept the special freehub body too, so  you may also have to buy a new rear wheel.  I'm waiting fo rthe inevitable move to create more price-conscious versions of it (provided it is popularly received)

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:24:12 AM »
I'm intrigued with the new XX1 group. Does anyone have any knowledge on this group? The reason I'm wondering is because it specs a 11-46? cassette and since I typically ride SS, 11-26 1x? would be all I need on a geared bike. I'm planning on building a geared hardtail race bike this winter because I feel racing DINO for the first time in 14 years SS would be silly with a bunch of gearies.

Thoughts?
That must be a typo. I think it is 11-36.  For DINO, I do not think that you need any bigger spread than 11-36 on a 1x.  Most people using 1x that I see are running a 32-34 front chainring, with some at 36.  Matt Battin was running a 39 front, but he is a freak of nature. an 11-26 would be be pushing a tough gear on some of the bigger climbs. Since you run a SS, it can be done,  but it is just a matter of how many matches you burn pushing that harder gear throughout the race. On the flatter courses, it would be fine.
I am still a fan of 2x10. I run a 26/39 in front and 11-32 on my 29er.

Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

booxe

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
10-42 cassette and chainring choices from 28 to 38 in 2 tooth increments.

Requires a special 'XD' freehub for the 10t sprocket.  Many manufacturers offer, or will soon offer, the freehubs for retrofit to current hubs.

gt ss

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »
Thanks guys.

The good thing is that my bike doesn't exist yet so this isn't an upgrade situation of any sort so wheels are part of the build anyway. I guess the root of my question would be- Can I use a 32t XX1 chainring, XX1chain, XX1 derailleur, XX1 shifter and a regular (and smaller range) cassette?

OR

Should I just skip all that mumbo jumbo and just go with a high end Sram or Shimano 2x? setup?

booxe

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »
I think a good 1x10 would be a XX1 crank with the 32t ring and XX1 chain (I've read that a 10sp chain is ok) coupled with a XO or XX shifter, 11-36 cassette and XO type 2 derailleur.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:33:49 PM »
I think a good 1x10 would be a XX1 crank with the 32t ring and XX1 chain (I've read that a 10sp chain is ok) coupled with a XO or XX shifter, 11-36 cassette and XO type 2 derailleur.
I agree with this of you are determined to run 1x. If the 32 front ring is not enough, you have options to bump it up. Personally, I do not know why there is such a demand to get rid of multiple front rings and a derailleur. The current 2x10 stuff works flawlessly for me and gives a great range. but alot of people love their 1x setups.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
With the new XX1, I understand that it is a complete system in that the profile and spacing of the cassette require the use of the XX1 derailleur and shifter. A new paradigm altogether. 
I think that there are some new 29r hardtails coming out with shorter chainstays that may benefit from the XX1 system, but would guess that a good 2x10 system will be fine (and more affordable) for most.

David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

RiverBankRider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 08:18:06 PM »
Ric, the xx1 seems like a killer transition from ss to geared.  Since you are doing a complete build, are you considering internal gearing or are you leaning toward deraileur with external gears?

gt ss

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 10:51:32 PM »
I have read some reviews from magazine test riders and they say it was easier to drop the chain on a 2X set up than on the XX1. Some of the reasons I abandon gears in the first place;
-Chain suck
-imperfect derailleur adjustments
-chain slap

I haven't EVEN considered internal....reliable? tough? I'll have to look into that.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 11:51:02 PM »
hell, would love to have a reliable internal 3 speed rear hub for my retro bike  bad knee keeps me from SS but a 3 speed would be great 
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links