//Trail Status mouse over Java // So, Who is going to Iceman?

Author Topic: So, Who is going to Iceman?  (Read 3417 times)

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
So, Who is going to Iceman?
« on: October 27, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »
It should be a great time as always.  Based on last years time, I get to start in the 3rd wave, but have not been training, so I ought to see plenty of people coming by me.
Where are the hot spots people are going to Fri and Sat nights, so we can  see some familiar faces? Ben Weaver and I are staying at the Grand Traverse Resort.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
Re: So, Who is going to Iceman?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »
Wow a cx race a few backs and you podiumed + 4 days at Pisgah last weekend and you say "you haven't been training"......LOL....NOW that's funny!!

Bill Ardery

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »
 I'm going. Bringing the kids. If anyone else brings their kids and wants to go out after the race, I usually hang out at the water park Sat night with my son and I could keep an eye on them if they want to come down.  Bill
Foliage Boy, Bill

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »
Wow a cx race a few backs and you podiumed + 4 days at Pisgah last weekend and you say "you haven't been training"......LOL....NOW that's funny!!
Just riding, not training.  I have only ridden twice since Pisgah and one of those was the Beer Ride on a tandem in costume.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
This will be my second year.  Heading up Thursday so we can:

a) drink more Michigan beer
b) pre-ride the last 5 or so miles on Friday

The pre-ride was the single best thing I did last year.  Once I recognized where I was and knew what was coming up the last few miles were a relative breeze.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »
I'm going, 5th year in a row and hope to never have to miss it!  We'll probably hit up the mexican restaurant that's 1/2 block south of main street and we will for sure hit Right Brain at some point.  Also dig a local steakhouse downtown called Mode's Bum Steer.  Staying at the GTR as well, hard to beat that place for the price. 

We'll say hi if we see you.  Have a safe trip and enjoy the festivities! 

laneuiowa77

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • Why am I not riding right now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 06:13:05 AM »
It's a little late but we're fans of Amicals and Red Ginger on Front St. Jolly Pumpkin up Old Mission pennisula has great food, craft beer and spirits. Da Dawg House on M115, just on N side of Cadillac has phenomenal breakfast. This is about as much of a food and beer tour as it is a bike race.  :D

Fett, see u in wave 3; also starting there.

Good luck to everyone, esp those going for MYC scholarships...presumably Gunner, Luke, Alex, etc.
Chris

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 07:59:48 AM »
How did everybody fare in the race?

I was a little disappointed in my time os 2:29:03 which was 3m 7s slower than last year.  I don't think I had enough for breakfast because I just couldn't summon the energy for some of the small climbs towards the end.  Last year I was feeling strong at that point.  Stopping for a minute in the singletrack didn't help, either.  That's racing!  Fun weekend overall. 

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 09:16:46 AM »
4mula1,  the course was definitely slower this year, so it was not you. I turned a 2:02 which is 4 min slower than last year, but was over 100 places better in the overall results. I took the last spot on the podium in my age group with a 5th place finish, same as last year.  It was wet and sloppy.  It was a great weekend. Lots of fun with great friends.

I had some adversity in the race as well, about 5 miles out on the climb to Williamsburg Rd, I sucked my chain into the spokes and broke 2 spokes and shifting went to hell as whenever I coasted the chain wanted to keep moving, so I had to ride it like a fixie, keeping pedalling on the downhills, but not being able to set up for any corners and taking it easy on the downhills. Thank goodness for carbon rims as they stayed true enough to keep going.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
Had a blast as usual!  I actually took about 7 minutes off of last years time and rode a 2:23, but I attribute A LOT of that to actually getting the correct wave start this year and being in front of the unseeded riders.  The course was definitely slower, but with that being said I really enjoyed the newer version over last years. 

I can't wait until next year when I'll be up into roughly the top 10 waves so I can see how that goes...still got into a ton of slower traffic this year.  I'm always amazed at how some of the people can't ride singletrack or climb a hill.  I actually had one guy say to me, "everyone needs to slow down through here it's singletrack and slippery".

Iceman is definitely hard to beat though...anyone that enjoys racing should give it a shot. 

Lemmy

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »
everyone needs to slow down through here it's singletrack and slippery". :o

I would have paid to see the look on your face. Shocked that you didn't have a moment like some of our "friends" used to have when held up by slower traffic.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
My buddy who went up with me, Ben Weaver, is on the Zipp factory road team and can completely crush me, had never done Iceman before and got stuck in the 24th wave.  He probably passed over 1000 riders.  He said sometimes he was just stopped holding a tree waiting for someone who would get off their bike when they saw any singletrack and there was just nowhere to go.

Getting into a seeded wave is so important at Iceman. In his age group, all of the people who finishedi in front of him started no later than the 9th wave. Even so, he had a great time and is completely pumped about  coming back and doing it in a seeded wave where he can use all that horsepower.

GregB

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »
I finished in 2:04 starting in Wave 5.  I didn't  have any traffic issues in the singletrack sections until the very end, when I came up on a tandem from the Slush Cup.  They were sketchy and very slow - I was looking for an opportunity to get around when they just fell over - problem solved.  Not a good idea to mix beginner-level tandems with riders from the first 5 waves in those tight areas.  My drivetrain was screaming at me toward the end - but a great day to be in the woods.  I was happy the temperature remained constant the entire morning - much easier to dress for than past Iceman races I've done. 

That Bells' beer went down easy at the finish!

dgalligher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
it was great  time, i purchased an entry off nother rider a few weeks back, and decided to go up, having not done this race since 2006, lot has changed!  I did a 1:54.39 got 2nd in my category loosing to someone in another wave by 1 second!  It was gret time tho, and this race is an amazing spectacle, i cannot imagine the effort and planning that goes into geeting 4000 riders from point A to point B and then back without a snag. just impressive 2 days of everything bikes.

4mula1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 06:57:23 AM »
My drivetrain was making noise like everybody else's but paranoia really set in when my chain climbed over my cassette and jammed between the cassette and spokes.  Took me a minute to tease it out (okay, yank) but after that I was very cautious about using that gear again.

This was my first year in a seeded wave and it was a very different experience to last year.  There were three or four people I seemed to ride with the whole way, sometimes they would get ahead of me or vice versa but we were never really too far from each other.  It was cool to see the ebb and flow of our individual races.  I was also happy to find out that I finished 25th in my wave out of 78 finishers.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links