//Trail Status mouse over Java // Fire Roads?

Author Topic: Fire Roads?  (Read 6803 times)

Catrin

• View Profile
Fire Roads?
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »
If you wanted to ride fire roads in Indiana, where would YOU go? Inquiring minds would love to know :)

orange_tomato

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Roads?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:29:37 PM »
I'd be weary of this idea.  I'd bet a lot of the fireroads are in forests that are not approved for bicycles.  I can't think of any off hand that would be good to go actually.  Maybe someone else knows of some...

bluestarbass

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 07:44:25 AM »
Yea I haven't run across any in Indiana.  I rode on a lot in Montana, but I dont think they are common in these parts.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »
Hoosier National Forest out around Camp Maumee.  There is a reason that they have the Gravel Grovel and the Death March out there. Great Scenery and lots of old fireroads and gravel roads.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
Thanks for the input, and the research I've done since posting this agrees with you. I am still recovering from a really bad whiplash injury some time ago on the mtb trail and have reluctantly decided that single-track just isn't the best option for me until it does given my crash/ride ratio. I don't want to give up off-road riding however, so am seeking out gravel/dirt/fire roads and non-technical double-track. Guess I need to remove fire roads from that list...

Thanks Fett,  know about the gravel roads in the area where the Death March and Gravel Grovel is held, and I've been told there are some lovely and scenic gravel/dirt road routes in Putnam County as well. I am open to other suggestions as well, so if anyone has a favorite gravel/dirt road/non-tech double-track route please let me know :)  My mountain bike needs a little work, so I want to start scouting routes now.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
I think that the Hoosier version of fire roads is the Hoosier National Forest.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTSw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAng7kaQ!!?recid=41466&actid=24&navid=110290000000000&cid=null&ss=110912&ttype=activity&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&pnavid=110000000000000&pname=Hoosier+National+Forest+-+Mountain+Biking

Hoosier National Forest (HNF) lists hundreds of miles of trail open to mountain bikes.  HMBA only lists Nebo Ridge on the HMBA forum.  It can be combined with Combs Road for a loop.  Combs is technically a county road.

Most of the HNF  trails are similar to fire roads.  They are wide and often steep with lots of elevation.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 12:01:08 AM »
Paul...the link doesn't work for me.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »
I knew about the gravel roads in the area of course, but didn't know there were so many dirt trails in the area as well. I found the flyer link where the trails are described. Thanks for the link! I didn't know it was possible to purchase an annual pass to the national forest, that is also good to know.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:36:07 AM by Catrin »

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
Paul...the link doesn't work for me.

you can google "Hoosier National Forest mountain bike" and find it if the link still doesn't work for you.

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »
I will say the beginner and intermediate trails at BCSP would be far less technical and safer to ride  than the horse trails of hickory and nebo.   If you have thorn proof tubes, the fire roads cut in at bcsp to support extraction from the mt bike trails make nice loops, but I'm not sure of the status of riding on them. I would think it would be ok,  but I'm not sure.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
Last time I was talked to the Park Manager, he mentioned that he saw a group of riders on the road who used the Aynes House Fire Road to access the trails.  He said that he would have stopped them if he knew that was their plan.   The Anyes house is at the disposal of the Governor.  While most of his guest may not mind seeing a few mountain bikers cut through, It would only take one guest to complain to cause the Park and HMBA a lot of problems. 

So one issue with riding fire roads is that several of them would take riders to places we don't want bikes to go (Stable's horse trails,  Aynes House, Private Property). 

The fire roads also, where not built to any difficulty or sustainability requirements, so there use would create signage and liability issues.

And finally, as we add more trails to the park, we start to run into the question of how many miles of trail are appropriate for Park.  There is a point where we will reach a trail milage total that will be as much as the DNR will allow.  We don't want to waste those miles on fire road access.

I know the fire roads reasonably well and while I have used them for ATV access, I have never really be incline to want to ride on them.  The real trails are too good to waste time on them.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
I will say the beginner and intermediate trails at BCSP would be far less technical and safer to ride  than the horse trails of hickory and nebo.   If you have thorn proof tubes, the fire roads cut in at bcsp to support extraction from the mt bike trails make nice loops, but I'm not sure of the status of riding on them. I would think it would be ok,  but I'm not sure.

Thanks Gnawbone, and I had already figured that Hickory and Nebo would be too technical for me at this time. I am trying to decrease my crash potential until my neck finishes healing without giving up off-road riding entirely :) The Birdseye trail might be just the ticket, if the description is accurate, that and the gravel roads in the area of course.

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »

Thanks Gnawbone, and I had already figured that Hickory and Nebo would be too technical for me at this time. I am trying to decrease my crash potential until my neck finishes healing without giving up off-road riding entirely :) The Birdseye trail might be just the ticket, if the description is accurate, that and the gravel roads in the area of course.

you can make a nice loop out of the gravel roads around lake yellowood,  if you are looking to up your climbing game,  I say look into crooked creek road and it's many lake monroe off shoots.  while you can't really make a loop,  you can get into oxygen debt.

Catrin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »

you can make a nice loop out of the gravel roads around lake yellowood,  if you are looking to up your climbing game,  I say look into crooked creek road and it's many lake monroe off shoots.  while you can't really make a loop,  you can get into oxygen debt.

This is good information, thanks! I can always up my climbing game and that is for certain. No shame in walking when I need to - it is cross-training for my Jamis ;) Now I just need to go scouting to find good spots for parking, and to find a gravel riding buddy or two!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:28:48 AM by Catrin »

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links