//Trail Status mouse over Java // Trainer training.

Author Topic: Trainer training.  (Read 1971 times)

ups

• View Profile
Trainer training.
« on: October 26, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »
Just acquired a trainer and am looking forward to putting it to use this winter.  Does anyone know of any good resources for workouts, tips, etc.?  Being fairly new to the sport I'm looking to improve overall endurance as well as strength.  Went to a few spinning classes a couple years ago; should I look using the trainer in the same manner?  I have some pretty lofty goals for next year and want to be moving in that direction!  Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Jon Clodfelter

• View Profile
Re: Trainer training.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »
http://www.thesufferfest.com/
These videos will get you through the long cold winter......
Chris Carmichael also has some good videos
http://trainright.com/media-2/

dprimm

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
Add trainerroad to the mix and you have a pretty good combination.  Sufferfest videos are built into the mix (you have to buy the videos seperately). 

Kirk Hilton

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »
Will be replacing my worn out Blackburn trainer with a 1UP trainer.  Question is I will be replacing the standard dropouts with the 2013 thru axle rear end on my Niner, do I use adapters or am I out of luck?

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »
Sell the trainer, use the money to buy some cold weather riding gear and get outside!  A trainer will make you hate life. Use part of the money to buy a used set of XC skis off craigslist, if the snow happens to get too deep.
Your life will be happier and you will not hate your bike by spring.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

gt ss

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:28:44 PM »
Sell the trainer, use the money to buy some cold weather riding gear and get outside!  A trainer will make you hate life. Use part of the money to buy a used set of XC skis off craigslist, if the snow happens to get too deep.

replies like this make me wish we had a "like" option on the HMBA forum.

as you can see below, the only thing I ride in the winter is the couch. It provides me with two or three months to recharge and get the itch to ride the rest of the year.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:33:30 PM by Ric »

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:34:09 AM »

I have a trainer, in the basement somewhere,  but cold weather gear has gotten so good,  in fact we are riding tonight at Brown County Park,  6pm on /off road, whatever the conditions allow.  Group rides every tuesday and thursday.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »
The one argument in favor of trainers is it allows you to catch up on your reading.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 09:20:43 AM »
agreed on the gear! But, sometimes a trainer is just easier to work in.

My .02 is it is much better if you have a fan blowing on you. A movie or something good to watch also helps kill the time.

Sunday. 15deg when I started. Make sure to get an insulated bottle or you will only have an ice pop to lick on.

booxe

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Hate to be the lightweight, but no matter what your gear, winter road rides are hard, hard, hard.  Lots of prep time, hard to manage daylight, extra dangerous due both to daylight and even less aware drivers.  And it's hard to stay comfortable if you're working hard.  From my experience, I'm far more likely to be burned out from the effort involved with regular winter road rides than from spending time (although admittedly not all that much time) on a trainer. 

On the other hand, it's hard to beat winter mountain biking.  You tend to be out of the wind and speeds are slower, so it's much easier to stay comfortable.  Unfortunately for us, our freeze/thaw weather doesn't tend to allow most of us to spend much time off road...hopefully this year will be an exception and it will stay cold enough to allow a good stretch of riding.

kstephenson

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
Definately TrainerRoad and sufferfest videos combo...I'm on the trainer 6 days a week right now and believe it or not, its exciting measuring improvements over the winter.  Much easier at 4:30am to put in some trainer time then hit the roads.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links