//Trail Status mouse over Java // TIPS & TRICKS

Author Topic: TIPS & TRICKS  (Read 3016 times)

john7722

TIPS & TRICKS
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:44:37 AM »
· Keep your weight back when going down anything remotely steep. You are less likely to Endo. If it’s really steep, lowering your seat is helpful and you should be far enough back of your seat that your seat is at chest level.

· When going over an obstacle, compress your fork first then pull up. Once your front tire is over throw your weight forward to unweight your back wheel.

· When climbing steeper hills slide forward on your seat to distribute your weight evenly over the bike. This helps keep your front wheel from popping up in the air and keeps you from putting all your weight on the back wheel, which causes you to lose control.

· When coasting always have your feet level (at the 3 and 9 o’ clock positions). You will be less likely to hit your pedal on something, which can throw you to the ground quickly.

· When going over bridges and narrow boards always look ahead to the other side and not down in front of your tire. Your bike will go where you are looking. Keep speed and spin fast.

· When trying switchbacks, try pumping your brakes rapidly when going around the corner. This helps you control the bike and maintains your balance. I find that standing slightly off the seat is helpful as well. Try leaning the bike into the corner as you remain upright.

· If you are having trouble maintaining traction on a climb try a harder gear. You will be less likely to spin out.

· Your front brake gives you most of your stopping power. Your rear brake gives you control.

· Your seat should be adjusted so that when you are on the bottom of your down stroke you should have a slight bend in your knee. The higher the seat the more extension you get from your legs. This is good for trails with a lot of climbing. The lower the seat the more control you have over your bike. This is good for technical trails.

· Momentum is your friend. It can get you over obstacles, carry you through mistakes, and helps you maintain your rhythm.

· Only stand up when you need to on climbs. Try to stay seated. If you need to stand – leaning forward over the bars will provide the most power, leaning back will provide the most traction – shift your weight according as the conditions change.

· When climbing steeper hills try zigzagging across the hill (side to side) if you start losing momentum. This helps keep your momentum and in essence makes the hill less steep.

· When approaching an obstacle or section of trail you’re not sure you can do, Ride it or Walk it! Do not second guess it. This is a sure fire way to get hurt.

· Always look where you want to go – not where you don’t. If you look into a ditch or at a tree next to the trail you’ll go there.

· Have confidence in what you are doing – if you prepare for failure you’ll almost certainly find it.\

· When approaching an uphill – down shift before you begin to climb, most drivetrains will not shift properly under a heavy load.

· When riding in sand or slippery conditions – distribute your weight evenly and maintain a good cadence (RPM), it’s the wheels turning that keeps you upright not the forward momentum of the bike.

DogStarMan

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: TIPS & TRICKS
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »
Good stuff.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »
As a companion to that list I would add the following:

Always carry:

a spare tube
a pump or C02 system,
a multi- tool with chain breaker tool
at least one Master link

Learn how to replace and air up a tube
Learn how to fix chain with tool and Master link

These two skills will save you from having to push a mountain bike through the woods.

David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

gt ss

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »
John, You could have strung these out and made a weekly feature out of it like, "John's tip page". It's probably not too late!

john7722

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
John, You could have strung these out and made a weekly feature out of it like, "John's tip page". It's probably not too late!
I would have done that but in all fairness, I copied and pasted from an Ohio Mtn Bike page { Spoke Junkies}.
I just posted it here to help our the New Riders.

john7722

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 06:19:09 PM »
When running tubeless: it is a good idea to carry a patch kit also.
Example.
When we were out in Moab last month. I was 10 miles into a 30 mile trail (Magnificent 7). I hit a rock and ripped the front tires bead in two places big enough to put your thumbs in (No way Stans was sealing these holes). With the help of Mike Hemelgarn and Jeff Carter and our combined ingenuity, We glued the tube patches over the bead rips, installed a tube, ever so slowly Inflated the tire and I gingerly rode the last 20 miles rite back to the bike shop I bought the tire from, on a Mc Gyvered repair.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 10:39:45 PM »
Speaking of mcgyver....

Take a piece of coat hanger, bend it around into a small oval.now wrap some duct tape or gorilla tape around a bunch of times. Should be able to fix alot of things if needed and takes no room in your backpack.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 11:55:05 PM »
I keep duct tape wrapped around my mini-pump. The only time it's been used so far was to wrap around a guys leg to close up the gash from his chain ring.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »
Zip Ties are good to have as well 
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:52:20 PM »
Ah hey gmcttr, that guy would have been me on Walnut last sat(duct tape worked great). I can't thank you enough. Didn't know you were gmcttr. I have since put a 1st aid kit in my pack,never needed one in over 20 years of mtb,well never used one, but could have used one. This is good advice and is the way most mtbers treat others on the trail with kindness. Thanks again. RideOn

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
One more to add....

Ride with better riders than you are. You can watch their lines, & usually a faster more challenging pace or riding tougher trails than you are used to will progress your riding much faster than doing loops on pine all week long... :)
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links