//Trail Status mouse over Java // Winter's a-comin'! Gear suggestions?

Author Topic: Winter's a-comin'! Gear suggestions?  (Read 4425 times)

Jonni5Alive

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Winter's a-comin'! Gear suggestions?
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »
I can't hang my bike up for the winter; I'm too hooked. I need recommendations for winter gear. No insane rides. Just Town Run or Fort Harrison kind of riding. Primarily, what kind of tires would be best for winter? I ride a 29er and I'm not looking to break the bank with something like the Schwalbe Ice Spiker. I just don't want my bike to sit there amd getting a trainer sounds sooooo boring. Any recommendations for a noob looking to ride in winter?

Thanks!
Addicted to my 29er.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
Re: Winter's a-comin'! Gear suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:42:16 AM »
Good grippy tires, wool socks and decent boots. Breathable layers.thin cap for under helmet.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Jonni5Alive

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:22 AM »
Any suggestions on a good tire? I'm currently running a Kenda Nevegal up front and a Small Block 8 in the rear.
Addicted to my 29er.

richmondrider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:57:54 AM »
I hate to suggest it, its still too early in the year, but an indoor trainer is an option.  Unfortunatly I spent an hour on mine yesterday due to the rain. If you do go that route I would suggest picking up a slick or pavement tire.

Jonni5Alive

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »
I've considered that route, but I really need to be outside. I'd rather spend the money on winter-appropriate gear than a trainer (at this point). Just in case, trainer suggestions?
Addicted to my 29er.

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
I am with you. I would rather ride in a blizzard than ride a trainer.  There are a few things in life that I have an irrational disdain for, including trainers and cyclocross.

Keeping your circulation going is key. Keep your fingers and toes warm and everything else dry, and you are golden.  Buy some nice winter mtb shoes.  If you want to go on the cheap, pick up an old pair of mtb shoes that are 1-1.5 sizes too big to account for thicker wool socks.  Stuffing thick socks into tight shoes is a recipe for cold feet due to poor circulation.

I also go through dozens of heat packs in my shoes each winter. Get the ones that are made for feet that have adhesive on one side so they do not bunch up over the course of a ride.

You should not ever need more than a thin skull cap for you head. Too thick will get you too sweaty and then wet and cold.

Also do not get gloves that are too tight. loose is better. once again circulation is your friend.

As far as tires, the bigger volume the better, big spikey knobs also do better in the snow.
Need a home mortgage?  Let me help.   Click here for more info: www.ruoff.com/jefffetterer

ELduder

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • CORA homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
There are a few things in life that I have an irrational disdain for, including trainers and cyclocross

I knew I liked you for some reason :)

Also I like to wear kids sized ski goggles when winter riding your vision is great with them and no watery eyes.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:59:20 PM by ELduder »
Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association member
International Mountain Bike Association member

dprimm

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Blocking the wind will do a ton for keeping you warm.  Water resistant jackets will do that and still breath. 

You can get neoprene booties to cover your shoes as well.  Another way to get you started without a huge investment.  Mine do a pretty good job of keeping my feet warm (so long as I can keep them dry). 

I wish I could borrow a set of these ThermaCells to try -- and just found a video for !

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
I have a trainer, that I use as a bike stand.  except for the years where I was really sick,  I've always tried to night ride a couple times a week at brown county state park.  if the trails were too muddy, we'd ride the road,  if it was below freezing, we'd ride the trails, and if there was too much snow, we'd xc-ski.

so gear needed is a mt bike, a road bike and xc skis.

fashion wise.
  the 45North Wolvhammer boots look pretty sweet,  if you have the means.

but I've always done well with shoes a couple of sizes too big 48's v 46 normally.,  then a thin wool sock, then a bread bag, and a neoprene sock against my feet.  the toes are the week point in the fight to stay warm.  this system works for me down to 10degrees.

On your core. wool and a wind break layer.  gore windstop is pretty nice too.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
Blocking the wind will do a ton for keeping you warm.  Water resistant jackets will do that and still breath. 

You can get neoprene booties to cover your shoes as well.  Another way to get you started without a huge investment.  Mine do a pretty good job of keeping my feet warm (so long as I can keep them dry). 

I wish I could borrow a set of these ThermaCells to try -- and just found a video for !

+1 on the neoprene booties that cover regular bike shoes.  They nay not make it for the 10 days in the slush, but they are fine for 20 and above.  I have some that cover the front/top of my regular shoes that work just fine for keeping the wind out of the venting material as well as providing a bit more insulation.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Jonni5Alive

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, all. What about the legs? Just cycling pants/leg warmers?
Addicted to my 29er.

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, all. What about the legs? Just cycling pants/leg warmers?

whatever works,  I use a pair of cycling tights , with arctic weight polypro long underwear for when it's really cold,  usually anything more than thin lycra is plenty.

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 08:02:42 PM »
I wear a balaclava, long underwear (Thermax / Polypropylene), wind breaker top and pants, glove liners, the warmest winter mountain biking gloves, the warmest mountain biking socks, and neoprene shoe covers.  Depending on the situation, may also use arm and leg warmers.  May also use heat packs.  I'm comfortable down to 10 degrees with this set up.  Note, anything cotton is bad.

Gander Mountain usually has good prices on bulk packages of heat packs.

Camp Glenn is a good trail to practice your biking on snow and ice skills.

Of course, we don't ride muddy trails!

Check out the below concerning riding in the Winter.

http://www.hmba.org/smf/index.php?topic=7869.msg63543#msg63543
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:06:09 PM by Steve King »

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »
I really like Novara Headwind Bike Pants with a windproof front and highly breathable backs. These make a world of difference...http://www.rei.com/product/815145/novara-headwind-bike-pants-mens. There are several makers of this type of pant/tight. Combine these with winter boots and a few thin layers of synthetics and wool and you should be good to go.

It is very easy to keep warm while you are riding. The trick is to use thin layers and keep them pared down to where you don't get soaked with sweat.

dprimm

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
I really like Novara Headwind Bike Pants with a windproof front and highly breathable backs. These make a world of difference...http://www.rei.com/product/815145/novara-headwind-bike-pants-mens. There are several makers of this type of pant/tight. Combine these with winter boots and a few thin layers of synthetics and wool and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the info on the pants.  My goal is to keep commuting until the roads are not smart (can't do the mtb commute ... too far) and the legs are my last real concern.  These might be the thing! 

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links