//Trail Status mouse over Java // Single Track & Double Track ??

Author Topic: Single Track & Double Track ??  (Read 6732 times)

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
Single Track & Double Track ??
« on: September 13, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
Can someone educate me the difference between the 2 !  :-[   I've just started this MTB adventure and see the phrase " Single Track way more than Double Track.  So,,,,  now I'm curious as to the meanings.  (( Just so I don't sound like a NOOB out on the trails should I get to talking to one of you SEASONED bikers )) hehe
Happy Happy Happy ------- Trails that is !!!

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
Re: Single Track & Double Track ??
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »
Double track means that the trail originate as a jeep or fire road, hence there are two tracks side by side with a grass strip in the middle.  This term can also be used to refer to any trail that is wide enough for a jeep or other passenger vehicle.  Single track refers to a trail that only wide enough for hikers or cyclists.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »
Single trail refers to a trail that is just wide enough for one rider or hiker, so if you were in a group you would have to use the trail in single file. 

Double track refers to a trail wide enough for riders to travel side by side.  Typically a trail this wide is also wide enough for vehicles (ATV, truck, etc...)  And even if not open to motorized vehicles, these trails often get vehicles on them for trail work or search and rescue.  So the typically develop two sets of packed in lines.  Which is also part of the term double track, as there are often two well defined lines for trail users.

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

Webby

• IMBA & HMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
 8)   Thanks so much David Kuehnen & Paul Arlinghaus !!!  That makes sense now.  I guess many places of Hickory Ridge and Nebo Ridge would fall into the double track category, huh ?
Now I know !   ;)
Happy Happy Happy ------- Trails that is !!!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links