//Trail Status mouse over Java // Cheater lines

Author Topic: Cheater lines  (Read 11986 times)

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
Re: Cheater lines
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
In reading these posts, I think back to all the different places I've ridden over the years, and it seems like no matter what level of trail or where it's at, if there is a man-made obstacle, 99% of the time there is an 'easy' route that by-passes the obstacle. (and it's usually signed really well, but that's another argument...)

The DH trails I've ridden in Park City and Keystone all had bypasses for the man-made stuff (these were also rated Expert Level trails).  I've ridden the IMBA-built trails at Trek's headquarters.  They have a bunch of fun obstacles on their trails, but they also have easy routes around them all.

And that goes for some local trails too.  Walnut in BCSP has bypasses for some obstacles.  Heck, even Rangeline has an easy way around the boardwalk/teeter-totter that and the big drop.

All that said, I really don't see what the big problem is with a bypass for the pillbox.  Getting over that requires a pretty hard and complex move.  As the park becomes more popular, more beginners are going to be on the trail.  Not saying that all trails should be completely sanitized and ride-able for all levels, just need to be a little realistic with certain things.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
Trek is private property, and I think some of the trails are on land Trek leases, so it is different than Fort Harrison.

The trails at ski resorts like Keystone are not only private land, but also charge a fee to ride.  This creates much more exposure for liability. 

You need to be careful when comparing what one property does to another.  Each trail needs to take into account the desires of the land owner, State Liability laws, if the trails are free or if you charge for their use (State Parks are interesting, in that the Parks charge a gate fee, but the interpretation is that the gate fee covers parking and facilities, not the trails), urban vs back county trails may also have different standards, etc.....

HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
Just say'n, lots of trails have easy routes around hard stuff and no one seems to complain about it....

Many ski resorts are using public lands and do not charge a fee to ride the trails, just the lift.

Hey, I'm on your side here!

gt ss

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
The most vexing part of all this is that we went two years before the cheater line was created.

Popularity....The word is out that Ft Ben has the most AWESOME trails in Indpls.

mdbhound25

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
I don't understand all of the fuss over the 'pillbox'.  I think it is a creative way to route the trail over a feature that makes the trail more interesting.  We have to maintain speed at the crest of the climb, that is all.  My 12 year old's friend who had never ridden before cleared it after watching my son. It would be easy to stop on top and just walk down.  Sometimes there seems to be a little too much drama on these boards.

rangelinenaturepreserve

• Should be riding....
  • One is never truely lost when on two wheels.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »
There's a cheater line around the pillbox?  I wish I would have read this thread 2 years ago. All this time I have been using my own skills like a fool.

[embed=425,349][/embed]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:08:55 PM by rangelinenaturepreserve »
If you wait for good weather to ride in Indiana you will be waiting forever.

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 07:49:22 AM »
There's a cheater line around the pillbox?  I wish I would have read this thread 2 years ago. All this time I have been using my own skills like a fool.

I wonder if it looks that easy when I ride it...

I certainly don't ride it that fast. It took me awhile to work up the courage to ride it, but it's my preferred line there now.

djkouza

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • DJKouza
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »

I certainly don't ride it that fast. It took me awhile to work up the courage to ride it, but it's my preferred line there now.
Now that you've outted yourself... I'll admit I didn't know it was considered a "cheater" line.  I've only ridden Ft. Ben a few times, and haven't tried the pillbox yet.  I'll give it a go next ride though, I got my first scratch on the bike so now I'm not as worried about it :)
djkouza
HMBA-IMBA Member
'13 GT Zaskar Comp
'15 Specialized Stump Jumper

mtbikernate

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »

Now that you've outted yourself... I'll admit I didn't know it was considered a "cheater" line.  I've only ridden Ft. Ben a few times, and haven't tried the pillbox yet.  I'll give it a go next ride though, I got my first scratch on the bike so now I'm not as worried about it :)
The pillbox itself is not a cheater line. The "cheat" is the non-tech line to the right with the fence to keep people from winding up in the old settling pool. That line was not always there.

djkouza

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • DJKouza
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
The pillbox itself is not a cheater line. The "cheat" is the non-tech line to the right with the fence to keep people from winding up in the old settling pool. That line was not always there.

yeah, maybe I wasn't clear.  I've been using the cheater line w/o knowing it was considered a cheater line.  So next ride I'll be taking the pillbox.

djkouza
HMBA-IMBA Member
'13 GT Zaskar Comp
'15 Specialized Stump Jumper

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
It used to be a cheater line. It is now legitimate trail as a bypass for the pillbox line.

That said, ride the box. It isn't difficult. ;-)

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links