//Trail Status mouse over Java // New Wheels or Not New Wheels???

Author Topic: New Wheels or Not New Wheels???  (Read 1785 times)

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
New Wheels or Not New Wheels???
« on: September 10, 2012, 04:28:33 PM »
Hey--
I have a set of 29" WTB Speed Disc Cross Country wheels that came with my bike, a Norco Nitro 9.1 hardtail. So far, the bike has been a great ride.
I was tuning it up the other day after a ride and noticed my back wheel was no longer running true. I made some adjustments and have it mostly back to true, but will probably bring it down to the shop and let them check it out, after I ride it yet this afternoon.
I am curious if anyone else has any experience with those wheels, and what those experiences may be.
I am a larger rider (6-3 and 205), so I am curious if my size may be any type of a factor on why the wheel has gone goofy. Other than logs and rock gardens, my rides are fairly generic. (No jumps, etc.)
If you are a larger rider, is there a set of wheels you've had that you'd recommend? I'd prefer not to break the bank, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

raptor0443

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: New Wheels or Not New Wheels???
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
I recently got myself some stans ztr flows and I love them. They told me their was no weight limit on them so they should hold up to my weight easily.

rpmarheine

• View Profile
    • Marheine Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:38:44 PM »
I have ran the Stans arch wheels with no issues (a little lighter than the Flow i think) really stans wheels are where it is at as far as bang for the buck. Looking at ~$550 for a set with the stans hubs, which I love. Those Speed disks aren't a bad wheel but seem to have a reputation for being a little heavy  and a little flexy. Bottom line I would keep the WTBs and keep truing them till they won't anymore. In the mean time save for the Stans, A good set of wheels and hubs make an amazing difference.
Marheine Photography Checkout some of my galleries. 
Would anyone like some pictures of yourself and friends riding? I would like to practice shooting some mountain biking action to add to my portfolio.

Fstr_on2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:47:07 PM »
Just bought some stans flows for myself but have not gotten to ride them yet. They seem like a very stiff and good wheel though. It is better to save the money and get what you really want in regards to componentry and wheels.
2010 Gary Fisher Cobia

RiverBankRider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »
Keep those Speed Discs as a backup or different setup for differing conditions and watch on ebay/hmba/craigslist for takeoffs. Many new bike purchasers replace perfectly good wheelsets with bling bling brands, and every so often you will see a great deal.  I think your riding style should be fine for most namebrand bike takeoff wheelsets.  Play it safe and stick with 32 spokes.  Splurge on some lightweight tires and go tubeless if you want to increase performance.

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
+1 for the Stan's Arch rims.  I have mine laced to Hope hubs but Stan's, DT Swiss, anything along that line would all be a great choices.  Try to look for a hub that has sealed cartridge bearings as I have found they are easier to service than those with loose ball bearings.  I have had a couple sets of Mavic's as well which held up good.

firefighter56

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »
I'm about the same weight as you and I run a set of the Mavic CrossMax wheels.  I do jump and ride very aggressive and haven't had any problems with them.  I have even gone as far as hitting the pier at Rangeline too fast and landing out in the flats which puts you at about a 13-14' drop and they didn't care at all.  They are expensive to buy new though.  Watch E-bay and you might find a set for a reasonable price.  I just bought the roadbike model of these (Mavic Kyserium SL SCC) and got them for about $500 off E-bay with tubeless tires already installed.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links