//Trail Status mouse over Java // Roof Rack or not?

Author Topic: Roof Rack or not?  (Read 2911 times)

MikeM_Indy

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Roof Rack or not?
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:10:25 PM »
I need help from those that use the roof racks on cars.  I drive a Charger.  I take very good care of it and am not getting rid of it. I use a trunk rack now (Thule).  MTB frame on it are not that slick.  I have the adapters, but am considering moving to a roof rack.  I'm trying to find-out if those with cars hear much wind noise with them.

I'd likely get a Thule Aero if I do it.  The rack is also not something I would leave on all the time. Mostly weekends when I would ride more often (Fri-Sun). Is the install quick enough that it would make "any" sense to take on and off?  Part of the reason is that the clips for the trunk make enough marks on the paint to make me consider the conversion.

Riding my SuperFly is a great escape!

Adim_x

• View Profile
Re: Roof Rack or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
Why not put a receiver on it and get a nice rack like a Kuat NV.  That way your gas mileage is not smashed into oblivion.  You also will not risk bashing a bike off your paint while loading. 

mbeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »
I had a cutlas and went from a trunk mount, to a roof, to a hitch.  The hitch style worked the best for me.  The trunk mount scratched the car and bikes.  The roof was removable and scratched the roof and it was harder to load than the hitch.  The hitch was a tray style and easy to load.  Held the bike good without having to remove the front wheel.  The bike are out of the wind.  My hitch mount was a Raxter brand.  They are light and high quality. My 2 cents
08 Santa Cruz Superlight
08 Specialized Rock Hopper custom

MikeM_Indy

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I'll have to look into how a hitch would fit and how low the base would be on mine.
Any concerns on the heat from the exhaust?
My son's DB sits high enough that its not an issue. On mine Trek EX8 (trunk mount) the tires are moderately close to the exhaust. It appears a hitch mount would move it back a foot or more from the trunk mount location.

Matt Ploch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »
I made the switch to a hitch rack last year and I'll never go back.  I have a VW and a full-sized Pick-up and can move the hitch rack easily between the two.  On the VW the rack sits above the exhaust and out enough away from it that I haven't noticed an issue,  and it's a dual pipe with extender on it even.  The truck exhausts out the right side so no issues.  When I'm not using it I typically store it in my trunk as it doesn't take up too much space....if I'm having to pickup something large I always use the truck anyway.  I had a roof rack and it noticeably affected my mileage and was more hassle (remove front tire, height issues etc).  I opted for the Swagman XtC-2 as it was good bang for the buck: came with a 1.25" mount and 2" adapter that works on my truck well.  I just throw my bikes on and go;  29ers, 26ers, my roadbike my wife's Monon cruiser no problems.  There are sexier racks; Thule, and Kuat for example but the Swagman was about half the cost....not as many options but it's cut and dry.  If money is no object get the fancy jobs but I'd rather spend cash on bike parts ;-)

Sometimes the revolution is kind.

orestespd5

• Are you ready to ride the best? Ride RNP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 12:28:08 AM »
We have a Toyota corolla with a Kuat NV core. It's very light and super easy to use. It's the best rack I have ever used!
2013 Giant Trance x29 (1)
(My other trail Rig) 2011 Jeep Jk, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex system, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Nitto Tg 35x12.50/17, procomp 7069 17x9,4.56s, Ace bumper with stinger, Smittybilt 8000 lb winch, Ace sliders

richmondrider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:43:52 AM »
My dad has a hitch mounted rack on a Honda CRV and his wheel sits really close to the exhaust, on a long trip back from the DC area the heat melted the side wall of his tire.  It has not happened since then, and I doubt and hour or two would be long enough to cause that problem. Something to keep in mind.  That being said I have a hitch mount on a CRV as well and all of my bikes sit high enough that they are clear of the tail pipe.  I also have a snowboard rack on the roof and I will say that it does drastically take away gas mileage and howls in the wind at highway speeds.

fennsta_78

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »
Unless you are very tall, placing a bike on top of your car can be a p.i.ta.. The hitch mount will cost less than a yakima system and your mpg will be much better. Yakima/Thule roof racks look cool but there are better options.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:09:58 AM by fennsta_78 »

Range_Rider

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »
I installed a yakima roof rack on my accord this year because I wanted to be able to transport my Kayak as well as my bike. The wind fairing cuts down on the noise but doesn't totally elliminate it. If i didn't have a kayak I would definitely use a hitch or trunk style mount over a roof rack. I personally never take mine off, its too much of a pain to get back on.

MikeM_Indy

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'll start looking into the hitch options.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
I like my Kuat NV hitch rack

RDF73Charger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »
I have Hidden Hitch brand hitches on both of our cars.
They are made to tuck up under the bumper on most cars.
You can barely see them on our cars.
I use a Sportworks rack which is now a Thule T2.
Kinda heavy but it works great.

gt ss

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
then there's this

mbeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »
08 Santa Cruz Superlight
08 Specialized Rock Hopper custom

Important Links