//Trail Status mouse over Java // First Impression of French Lick

Author Topic: First Impression of French Lick  (Read 5700 times)

RIC0

• View Profile
First Impression of French Lick
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »
Guess word got out I was coming and that i stink becuase there were only 2 of us on the trails.... :o

Talking with a fella that helped out the dude that broke his hip a few months back he gave me some good guidance on which way to go.

Started off Clockwise on green then onto first entrance to blue back onto green to bomb down back to the trail head.  I guess it's like hanging all lefts.  Got more fluids Then went back in clockwise passed up the first entrance to blue and hit the 2nd entrance hit the green took a left and did it the same way as the first time, basicallly making a figure 8 and that was FUN.  So much fun that I did it again.  Wasn't expecting to do almost 30 miles but did and had a blast.  Trail is like none other and worth the hour drive.

Hats off to those that made it and keep it up in tip top shape.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:13:56 PM by RIC0 »
Doin the possum trot

Traci

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA Member and enjoying the ride of my life
    • View Profile
Re: First Impression of French Lick
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
Awesome...glad you liked it.....it is pretty impressive, and so close to home for me and my husband that the weekdays are the times we ride it....Hope you get back again soon
HoosierBiker

daniel240

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »
That is may favorite way to ride it as well.

mhelsel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
My first time on the blue trail. I went CCW and found it to be challenging. Is CW on the blue a bit easier?

RIC0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
I guess I might have got confused or stated my first route wrong.  I went in and went left on green thru the pines, then took the first left on blue follwed it all the way around, hit the green trail took another left and followed it back down to the trail head, which that way on green is just too much fun.

2nd trip out I went left on green, past up the first left on blue and took the second left on blue, which brought me back to green, took a left and finished up the green, which was a figure eight.  Started out CW on Green, CCW on Blue, then back to CW on Green. That way I found to have less climbing and to be much more fun. 

Going out on green CW is a dam fun ride I must say.  Gotta take the ole lady next time and put er up in a hotel so I can ride longer.
Doin the possum trot

2wheeler

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »
Rico I guess you are the fellow I run into last saturday at FL. Glad to hear you enjoyed. I rode a couple more lap last night both ways. If you come up this way let me know Weekend is to be a washout.  :(

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
Tomorrow will be my first, first impression.  ;)

I can't believe I haven't been on the trails at FL yet but I have the day off tomorrow and will be camping at Patoka Lake after I ride. May come back to ride there Saturday and / or Sunday as well.

I think I'll try the figure 8 route described and take it from there.

Couldn't find the map via the link in the info section but guessing it's not too complicated.

getsometrail

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
Tomorrow will be my first, first impression.  ;)

I can't believe I haven't been on the trails at FL yet but I have the day off tomorrow and will be camping at Patoka Lake after I ride. May come back to ride there Saturday and / or Sunday as well.

I think I'll try the figure 8 route described and take it from there.

Couldn't find the map via the link in the info section but guessing it's not too complicated.

Every time I've ridden there they have had maps at the Golf Pro shop.  They request you sign in there anyway before and after your ride.  You're gonna love it!
Roads...?  Where we're going we don't need roads!  Travis Eacret 2008 Giant Trance X2.

N9TKF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:36:13 PM »
Here is a Google map of French Lick. It is a work in progress.The map was made by actual tracks of the trails. Enjoy

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:42:55 PM by N9TKF »
Metrology has nothing to do with  weather.

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
Re: First, first impression of French Lick
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
What awesome trails!  The guy at the pro shop was great. We chatted a good bit before and after my ride.  I thanked him on behalf of all of us bikers.

Deer everywhere!  So much so that it was like they were shadowing me, just to have some fun.  Saw a turkey the size of a rottweiler!

Tons of fun.

Got some pics and a little bit of video to document my first impression.   :D

matte1401

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »
Great video!  Thanks for sharing.  Got me fired up.  Visiting relatives over Thanksgiving in the area and hope to get out on Friday.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
Great trails! Definitely worth the trip down from Indy.  I'll be back.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links