//Trail Status mouse over Java // Ride Report: Grey-Bruce Counties in Ontario

Author Topic: Ride Report: Grey-Bruce Counties in Ontario  (Read 1206 times)

PKemppainen

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Ride Report: Grey-Bruce Counties in Ontario
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
To escape the summer heat in Southern Indiana, I have made two trips up to the Grey-Bruce area in midwest Ontario. To give you an idea of where that is, it's the opposite side of Lake Huron, from about the tip of the thumb to the top of the lower peninsula in Michigan. You'd cross over at Port Huron, Michigan to Sarnia, ON, and begin working north along the lake shore. If you drive all the way to the tip of the Bruce Peninsula, you'd arrive at Tobermory, near the Bruce National Park, a worthwhile destination for hiking and sightseeing. From here near Louisville, KY, it's an all-day drive, but when it's in the upper 90's here, it's 15-20 degrees cooler there.

A link to some of the trails I hit in Bruce County is at: http://www.mtbthebruce.com/

I had a chance to ride the Brant Tract, and had a great time. The beginner and intermediate trails were fast and fun on my 29er, with some twists and turns, as well as wooden bridges and boardwalks. The expert trail was much like I ride at O'Bannon Woods, without the rocks. The trails were well maintained and well-marked. I am looking forward to making another trip so I can hit the Lindsey Tract, further up the peninsula.

In Grey County, I've had the chance to ride West Rocks in the Owen Sound area as well as Sawmill Trails near Hepworth. West Rocks is generally a flat trail system, but has many rocky sections, where bike skills/management is important, while Sawmill Trails are hilly, weaving through hardwoods and pine trees. I recommend maybe stopping in at the local bike shop in Owen Sound to get some basic directions for the Grey County trails, as the local conservation authority is still working out the details. West Rocks does have maps at the head of the trails, and a power line running down the middle creates a central access point where the trails depart and return to.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links