//Trail Status mouse over Java // Weekly beginner ride interest? (Maybe a beginner to intermediate level)

Author Topic: Weekly beginner ride interest? (Maybe a beginner to intermediate level)  (Read 26011 times)

Matt E.

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
I'm looking at Thursday around 6:30pm for a meet up, 6:45 pm for ride start time. We ride around until about 8 pm or when the group decides they've had enough.

Details can be worked out as we progress along, just looking to see if anyone has any interest in making a weekly ride group to a more beginner level.

Looking at making this a more beginner rider type ride. No speed racing turning # of laps and such.

Looking at around a 3-5 mile loop, depending on the groups desire for beginner-intermediate skill level trail.

Post if you have interest and the day/time you can make a weekly commitment to the riding.

Wingspan

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Very interested!  Total newb here, my bike hasn't touched the dirt yet.  Thursday nights aren't the best for me, but not a total deal breaker. Monday and Tuesday evenings are better for me. :)

Matt E.

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
I will add that I'm not opposed to traveling to other parks around Indianapolis as well on occasion. Camp Glen in Fort Harrison comes to mind.

I am really wanting to just keep this as an entry ride as it seems most of the ride nights have more advanced riders and could potentially turn people off of getting out and riding with a group of riders around their capable level of riding (both distance and skills handling).

mdurkee

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Im up for it.  I only ride the lower sections because that 6 foot drop on the upper section scares the heck out of me.  Old guys like me don't go all X-games on the trail.  Just nail down the day and time and mention where we want to park and meet up.  I suggest meeting down by that splash and play area.  Tons of parking down there and never crowded.

dhorner

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
I am currently working thursday nights, but that will change in a month.  When that happens I will join you.  I live in the area so I would enjoy this.

mdurkee

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Wife has informed me that I have plans this Thurs (someones birthday I am told).  I will catch you next time.

Wingspan

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
I'm still up for it, if you don't mind being seen on the trail with an overweight and out of shape noob huffing and puffing his way along.  :)

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
I am in, however for the short term Thu needs to be trail work day at SWW to get ready for DINO.  Once the DINO loop is ready, then I can make it over to ride. 

Thanks Matt for organizing the ride!

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Matt E.

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
I'll be out at Avon Tuesday 7/31 around 6:30pm in the lower parking lot near the water park. I'll be heading out for the ride around 6:45pm. Depending on the temp outside, I'll probably put together about a 5 mile ride around the park hitting the southern loop at least twice. Going to shoot for a nice easy ride to make sure we don't drop anyone as we are going around, if anyone is out there with me.

When you turn onto CR 525 E (the road that takes you to the park from US-36), go to the stop sign and turn left. Follow that road all the way until it dead ends at the parking lots and that is where I'll be.

kevjulian

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
I'm new to the forum and just got my bike last week.  If you could keep this link updated I would be very interested in the ride, I just wont be able to make tomorrow night.

Kevin

Wingspan

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
I'll be out at Avon Tuesday 7/31 around 6:30pm in the lower parking lot near the water park. I'll be heading out for the ride around 6:45pm. Depending on the temp outside, I'll probably put together about a 5 mile ride around the park hitting the southern loop at least twice. Going to shoot for a nice easy ride to make sure we don't drop anyone as we are going around, if anyone is out there with me.

When you turn onto CR 525 E (the road that takes you to the park from US-36), go to the stop sign and turn left. Follow that road all the way until it dead ends at the parking lots and that is where I'll be.

I should be able to make it. 

Mark

dhorner

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
I might be able to come by as well.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
I set this thread as Sticky to keep on top.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

RF

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Sounds fun I will be there

Matt E.

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Going to do the ride again next Tuesday. Meet at the same time at the same place. 525E is the turn in off of US-36 and then turn left on Broyles Road to get down to the water park. After you go down the hill, just turn right (the only way you can go in a vehicle) and you'll eventually wind around to the splash pad.

We mapped about 6.5 miles total tonight with an average speed of about 6.6 mph while moving. Moved for about an hours worth of time over an hour and a half elapsed time. If you feel you might be lacking in the skills department to ride on trails, don't fret. I can help teach you how to ride everything in the park that we covered today and if you don't feel comfortable, I will even walk it with you so you don't feel guilty for holding up the group (as that should NEVER be the reason for not riding in this group).

My aim is to help new comers to the mountain biking scene get an entry into the sport with discussions (as well as instructions for as much as I can help instruct). It is a no drop and we will just ride around to have fun as a group. I'm also aiming to get a couple more seasons HMBA vets to visit every once in a while to help with spreading the word on trail work days and such to help around the city with the trails we have so we can enjoy the possibility of even more venues to visit for riding.

Vets are welcome, but just be aware that we aren't racing to put 20 minute lap times up on the board. We are out to have fun and just get riding.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links