//Trail Status mouse over Java // What do you think about......

Author Topic: What do you think about......  (Read 2157 times)

crit5

What do you think about......
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »
What do you BCSP guys think about O'bannon Woods SP ? I really, really like BCSP and VSP. I've not been to OWSP but want to on the next weekend or two

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about......
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:35:58 AM »
What do you BCSP guys think about O'bannon Woods SP ? I really, really like BCSP and VSP. I've not been to OWSP but want to on the next weekend or two

Disclaimer:  I haven't yet ridden the new Firetower extension at OWSP, but I understand it has more elevation change than BCSP and is more technical than Walnut.  I have ridden the original Firetower trail and Rocky Ridge, and enjoy both.  Firetower flows nicely but IMO rides better from the Firetower to Rocky Ridge, but has it's fun spots going from RR to the Firetower.  RR is two miles of sweet technical rocky bliss!  OWSP is much different experience than BCSP, lots more rock and overall has the potential for much more elevation change.

To make a good day of riding, you could do OWSP, then travel a few miles west to Ferdinand State Forest.  They have about 12 miles of trail there IIRC.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
The new purpose-built mtb trails are great, haven't ridden the newer one mentioned above though.

The adventure trail (26 mile loop) is pretty steep/unrideable in some sections, was interesting to go out & explore, but you spend more time pushing your bike up hills than riding I found.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

chmaeet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »
This spring my buddy and I took off for a long weekend of riding in Southern Indiana.  A group of normally 3-5 of us makes our way to NC and make stops along the way but this year there were only two of us so we didn't want to burn the gas.  I agree with Dave in that OWSP is rocks, rocks and more rocks compared to BCSP.  I didn't feel like I could get in a good rhythm and I would classify it as more technical than Walnut.  The tread is narrower in spots and you have to carve your way around trees, etc.  Parts of the trail system are just good 'ol straight ahead riding but it can change quickly.  It started raining on us so we only got in about 6-8 miles and had to ride the road back.

Our trip consisted of starting at Nebo Ridge, then to French Lick, then to OWSP.  After that the rain was too much and we had to cut our trip a day short.  You have probably already ridden this trail but I would suggest French Lick (middle ground between BCSP and OWSP).  OWSP is a very nice trail system with a lot of potential but above my comparisons are to BCSP.  If you like Walnut more than any other trail at BCSP, OWSP might just be the ticket you are looking for.  Myself, I like everything from the North Gate up to HP and Limekiln.  I make my way through Walnut and usually have to clip out 3-4 times but I wouldn't like to do 20 miles on that sort of trail.

Hope this helps with comparing the two!

crit5

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:04:04 PM »
Sounds great! Walnut is probably my favorite at BCSP, I enjoy all of it though. Thanks everyone!

chuckdlou

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »
o'bannon has more potential than anything in the state...the new section of firetower that connects down to the group camp is the portion that i would define as more difficult than walnut (maybe)...that said, it's funner'n a sack o kittens...don't ignore the AHT...there is hike-a-bike but you get the backwoods feel...i like to start with a section of the AHT:  park at a road intersection (any of them), ride the next portion, then go back to the car a la pavement (i like the areas down near the river)...then drive to the firetower and finish the day with firetower and rocky ridge...alternative is to start at the north end of the AHT where it intersects 462 and ride counterclockwise to intersect the firetower trail...do that and rocky ridge then slog back on the AHT or take pavement (a pretty fast downhill that way, tuck and roll)...

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links