//Trail Status mouse over Java // Lights for night rides

Author Topic: Lights for night rides  (Read 10421 times)

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Lights for night rides
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 10:58:26 PM »

Steve,  I think you will find that those lights are a branded under another name and are simply denoting that the LED emitter is a Cree XML, which is the emitter that I have in my most recent Magicshine Light.

^^This. Cree is a USA LED manufacturer and does not make/rebrand/sell/lend their name to bike lights. The Chinese light manufacturers and re-sellers will use any name anyway they want. At least they do use the Cree emitters.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:00:10 PM by gmcttr »

orestespd5

• Are you ready to ride the best? Ride RNP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Just had my 1st night and well I think I'm in love!!! While I only had one 900 Lumen light i was kinda nervous I wouldn't have enough light. But after the 1st lap at Rangeline I was pleasantly surprised!!! I ended up riding 15 miles. Thank you John for lending me your light for the weekend. And I need to apologize to my wife in Advance because I think most of my Date nights will be spent in the woods!

I did end up ordering a magic shine 1600 lumen and magic shine 1000 lumen light from Action about 7am Friday and according to FedEx tracking they will be here tomorrow!!!! Now that's  Service  ;D. So my next night ride ( Saturday night ) should be even better!!!  I know one guy who rides 99% of the time at night and now I know why. It's freaking amazing!

Thank you everyone for you help.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:45:17 PM by orestespd5 »
2013 Giant Trance x29 (1)
(My other trail Rig) 2011 Jeep Jk, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex system, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Nitto Tg 35x12.50/17, procomp 7069 17x9,4.56s, Ace bumper with stinger, Smittybilt 8000 lb winch, Ace sliders

LelandYoung

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »
I like my magic shine, use it on the bars.  I have a Denotte on the helmet, also a good led lights.

Can you share some more details of light along with pics.. I am looking to get similar lights so please help if you can..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:12:26 PM by LelandYoung »

Steve Smith

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »
You can't go wrong with Magicshine. I have the MJ-880 2000 Lumens for my helmet. Price was $175.00 from Amazon.

john7722

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »
These are what I use during all my nite riding and  at the SWWay nite race. Very brite (just as brite as my friends $400 lite)..
  And for the money !!!  If u crash and break a high dollar lite?  Do you have $300 to $500 for another name brand light?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KXDO8Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steel

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 07:59:59 AM »
I know where I work (ICS) has a 1000 lumen light for $200 and a 1500 lumen for $350
'11 Specialized Camber Expert
'95 Cannondale Killer V 500
and looking...

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »
If you're not buying local...get your lights from http://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/bike. They are in Illinois, have great service, stand behind what they sell and are a warranty center for the brands they carry.

Hocky

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
If you're not buying local...get your lights from http://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/bike. They are in Illinois, have great service, stand behind what they sell and are a warranty center for the brands they carry.

Yep.  I have a couple of magicshines from there.  They shipped quickly and work great.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »

Agree, I buy Gemini lights from these guys for night work. Good service & the Gemini lights have been great too. I think they still have the Titan on clearance. Hard to beat for $75.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

gt ss

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »

Agree, I buy Gemini lights from these guys for night work. Good service & the Gemini lights have been great too. I think they still have the Titan on clearance. Hard to beat for $75.
I've got two of these but I've only tried them once so far. Nice, light, easy to operate and I bought a lens that spreads the beam out wide.

beastiestew

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 09:51:42 AM »
Night riding is a blast. Only wish I could do it more often.  One other thought - if you're a member of HMBA/IMBA, check out the Promotive discounts.  Awesome deals on some Light & Motion lights. I like to ride with a light on the bars and one on the helmet. Right now I've got an older Jet Lites x51 for my helmet and, for the bars, a Light & Motion Taz 1200 I picked up on Promotive for a steep discount. Great set up - brighter than car lights!

SpeedyChix

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »
Light & Motion lights have been great. Urban 700 and a Taz 1200 make a solid pairing. The Promotive deal makes it even sweeter.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links