//Trail Status mouse over Java // Smash and Dash Alert

Author Topic: Smash and Dash Alert  (Read 21543 times)

MikeHufhand

Smash and Dash Alert
« on: June 22, 2012, 02:20:08 AM »
There has been several vehicles broken into at Fort Harrison lately.  Smash and dash if you will. The criminal smashes a window in and takes whatever he or she wants. Then they quickly move to another trailhead and do it again. It has happened at almost every trailhead.  The DNR has hired a couple of security guards that drive around the park patrolling, but even that didn't stop whoever has been doing this today. It is truly a shame, but I guess this is the world we live in.   Please lock up all valuables and keep them out of sight or take them with you while parking at Fort Harrison.  Spread the word.

Range_Rider

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Smash and Dash Alert
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:07:53 AM »
Bastards. Might be smart to buy one of those $30 keychain video cameras and mount it in/on the car somewhere and hit record while out riding.

AL

• Volunteer and help build Mountain Bike Trails!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:06 AM »
Strange for a park with a gate fee. Most likely subjects are hiking in or maybe living on the property.  I have never noticed any homeless camps in the park but I imagine that there are either in the park or adjacent to the property. Maybe something to keep an eye on and report to DNR

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
Happened last weekend at our local pool to the car 2 spots from mine.  Crazy thing is how bold these fools are nowadays.  Broad daylight and the lifeguards saw the guy pull up get out look in the car bust the window grabbed a purse and flew the scene all in less than 30 seconds.  They had a great discription of the guy and the car he was driving but he never got caught.  I heard the cop telling the lady who owned the car that these crooks are looking for a quick grab and to not leave things for these guys to see visible in her car.  No penalty nowadays.  I think we need to start cutting off hands like they do in other countries if caught!? 

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:37:05 AM »
Strange for a park with a gate fee. Most likely subjects are hiking in or maybe living on the property.  I have never noticed any homeless camps in the park but I imagine that there are either in the park or adjacent to the property. Maybe something to keep an eye on and report to DNR
Nah They are driving.  Probably scoping out the victim and then waiting on them to enter the woods knowing full well they have tons of time and then hitting the car.  By the time the victim realizes it the guy is outta the park.  Best thing I would do is call the gate but I don't think they could search vehicles without a reasonable suspicion.  I don't know the laws. 

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »
Wow, I know it's not feasible for everyone, but all the more reason for me to bike rather than drive to the park.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:16:19 PM »
We've had occasional break-ins at SWW.  RT's advice is the best, cause if there isn't anything there to steal, they won't risk getting caught breaking a window for nothing.  They're looking for computers, phones, ipads, money, even small change. 

Also don't leave any clothing laying around visible.  Some riders may change in their car, or wear street clothes over their riding clothes.  Crooks can reasonably assume one might leave a wallet or money in the pockets of pants.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Sshick

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
Can we set up a sting?

GChambers

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »
Wow, I know it's not feasible for everyone, but all the more reason for me to bike rather than drive to the park.

Yep. We usually park at Triton, ride into the park and back to Triton for an after ride beer. I feel better about leaving the car on the street at Triton than in the park.

WheezerMF

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
  • Yep, eleven...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
I use the "Park next to the Porsche" security theory.  Park by the fancy Porsche with a purse and a phone on the seat.  Their window may get smashed, but your car will just have butt prints on it.
My collarbone's stronger than your collarbone-- It's ironic!
Give blood; ride a mountain bike:  http://www.cirbc.org/
HMBA Director-at-Large & Comm'ns Dir.

Wef

• Training wheels on
  • Jeep. Bike. Dog. What else could one need?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
This has been happening fairly often at Broad Ripple Dog Park if anyone visits there.

Keep an eye out. They will get what is coming to them.

Cannondale Flash Alloy 29'er 1
Green 1998 Jeep Cherokee
German Shepherd/Husky mix

merrill714

• Ol Kute
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »
Just leave your windows down, if they steal something at least you won't have to pay for a broken window!

Wef

• Training wheels on
  • Jeep. Bike. Dog. What else could one need?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
Just leave your windows down, if they steal something at least you won't have to pay for a broken window!

Hmmm...true...I'll have to consider that next time I ride!
Cannondale Flash Alloy 29'er 1
Green 1998 Jeep Cherokee
German Shepherd/Husky mix

Range_Rider

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »

Hmmm...true...I'll have to consider that next time I ride!

Thats a good idea. I know if i have my windows down and lock my car... the alarm will go off when someone unlocks it manually. Would give them a good startle at least..

jdncpa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 01:40:24 PM »
I just found a blue/black messenger bag that appears to have been stolen then dumped on Schoen.  I assembled all the contents and turned it over to the tall blonde at the entrance.  She said two cars had been broken into this AM and she would call the police.

It was close to the road so I am guessing someone threw it out their window or something after they got what they wanted out of it.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:55:32 PM by jdncpa »

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links