//Trail Status mouse over Java // Pickup bed rack

Author Topic: Pickup bed rack  (Read 8314 times)

ScottC

• View Profile
Pickup bed rack
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:04 PM »
Ok, had the bikes for 5 days and can't stand laying them down in the bed of the truck to be transported.  I am very anxious to buy something to transport them in.  Any suggestions?

Matt E.

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Pickup bed rack
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »
You could probably save some money and build your own,  http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodies/TruckbedBikeRack.htm.

beer_belly

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:07:01 AM »
These are cheap option. If you have a factory bedliner there is usually a place up near the cab for a 2x4 to run from bed side to bedside that you can mount these to for easier removal.

http://www.truckchamp.com/products/Truck-Bed-Bike-Racks-Thule-Low-Rider-Part-Number-821.html#

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:48:35 AM »
These are cheap option. If you have a factory bedliner there is usually a place up near the cab for a 2x4 to run from bed side to bedside that you can mount these to for easier removal.

http://www.truckchamp.com/products/Truck-Bed-Bike-Racks-Thule-Low-Rider-Part-Number-821.html#

I built this and it was great.  I made the spacing a tight fit for the wheel to fit in and it did a good job locking the bike in place.  Sometimes I would run a bungee cord over the bike tires and connect the side of the bed but was not necessary.  Highly recommend this.

jasonhilt

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Brakes!!! We don't need no stinkin' brakes!!!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Videos
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:36:21 PM »
I used the axle clamps bolted to a 2x6 treated board.  Painted it black.  Works great, plus it's easily removed and stores under my truck in the garage.
You could also get the locking kind of clamps for security or use a cable lock through the fork.
Shin guards! We don't need no stinkin' shin guards!
DOH!

Ed Strobel

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »
I built a version of what is in the link Matt E. posted.
Cost about $25 for everything, including paint. Bolted it to the accessory rail in the bed. Been used for a little more than two years with no issues. Hardly any paint has come off as well.

orestespd5

• Are you ready to ride the best? Ride RNP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »
I built a version of what is in the link Matt E. posted.
Cost about $25 for everything, including paint. Bolted it to the accessory rail in the bed. Been used for a little more than two years with no issues. Hardly any paint has come off as well.

Will it work for 29ers or do I need to make it a little bigger?
2013 Giant Trance x29 (1)
(My other trail Rig) 2011 Jeep Jk, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex system, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Nitto Tg 35x12.50/17, procomp 7069 17x9,4.56s, Ace bumper with stinger, Smittybilt 8000 lb winch, Ace sliders

Ed Strobel

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
It works with 29ers, but my truck bed is short enough that my 26er touches the tailgate, so I put 29ers in by the rear wheel and just turn the front wheel.
That might not be an issue if you have a full size truck. I have a Toyota Tacoma.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
The PVC bike rack I built I used for my 29er with disc brakes, worked awesome.  Also carried 26 inch mountain bikes.  The skinner road tire bikes did not work good, need to use straps or bungees. 

I recently sold my truck and no longer have use for my PVC rack.  Free to anyone that wants to pick it up in Columbus, IN.

ScottC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »
Dan, if it is still available, I am interested if it will hold two or more bikes.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »
Dan, if it is still available, I am interested if it will hold two or more bikes.

Holds three bikes, I will pm you

BLOWNDFIZ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
Here is a pic of one I built.  I bet I have less than $25 in it and that includes the screws and d-rings...

It will hold 5 bikes with both tires attached.  I use bungees to pull the tires forward, and a ratchet strap through the spokes to keep things in place.  It has worked great for over a year now and that includes 2 trips to Snowshoe with 3 heavy DH bikes back there.

Brandon
09 Santa Cruz Superlight
98 DBR V8 (down for repairs)
98 Specialized S-Works Team

mdurkee

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
I purchased 2 Yakima Bedheads for transporting our bikes in a F150.  Easy installation and work great.

jimhike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
Here is my solution.  It will hold road or mountain bikes very securely and bike loading is fast.   www.WheelWally.com

tgentry

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »
I prefer one of these. Easy to load/unload bikes and easy to remove the pad when it's not being used.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links