//Trail Status mouse over Java // Brian's Free Ridin' Trail

Author Topic: Brian's Free Ridin' Trail  (Read 3507 times)

Matt E.

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Brian's Free Ridin' Trail
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »
At some point in time, was this trail more difficult then it is now? I walked this trail today and it seemed to be nothing more difficult then the southern half trail that runs next to White Lick Creek. The sign seems kinda out of place warning folks if they don't have the skills, stay out.

I'd actually see the warning sign being more beneficial at the beginning of Willow Ridge more so due to the technical climbs (and more climbs) and a few technical descents then where it is now.

Also, just because I'm already writing here. Are plans in place to help Bluebird in the middle section where water seems to still cause the trail to be muddy? I've not seen the way the water flows when it rains, but I'd imagine that the Oriole side of Bluebird, at the top of the hill that is, wouldn't need all the gravel as the water would be flowing downward and you would probably want to avoid it pooling at the top before it started to flow down the hill into the seasonal creek bed. I'm new to the sport, so I don't know who is managing this part of the trail system, but I have been an avid hiker for years and have seen trails with water management a little different then that section of trail is being managed now.

Matt E.

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Brian's Free Ridin' Trail
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:26:47 PM »
I finally got a chance, after almost a month of being out in this park, to speak with another Mountain Biker who informed me of the reason to why that trail is marked the way it is.

dprimm

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
Please share ... I'm now in Avon and have been wondering. 

Matt E.

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »
The guy I talked to informed me that years ago the first bridge, the smaller of the two, used to be longer. A rider, never was told a name, was riding this section and fell off the bridge, when it was longer, and hit his head just right that it killed him. The park requested that bridge be reworked and so now it is smaller and a little safer in that spot.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:02:07 PM by Matt E. »

Matt E.

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
Here is a link I found explaining the incident,  http://flyergroup.com/local/x797275862/Bike-ride-leads-to-weekend-death

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links