//Trail Status mouse over Java // 8th Annual Brown County Breakdown

Author Topic: 8th Annual Brown County Breakdown  (Read 32475 times)

heartland

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • powered by peanut butter.
    • View Profile
Re: 8th Annual Brown County Breakdown
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
Is there or has there ever been a bike stuff swap meet at the Breakdown? If not, would there be any interest in having one this year? I know I've got a bunch of bike parts and clothing that I need to get rid of, and it seems like there may be one or two others in the same boat attending the Breakdown this year. Thoughts?

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »
I believe that Park Regulations do not allow for a swap meet.
HMBA: Director of Trail Development / Secretary

heartland

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • powered by peanut butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »
 2012 BCBD route News.
In the past, the route has used trails on State Park, National Forest, and Private Land. Working out the details and permits for multiple properties can sometimes be tricky.

This year we were surprised to find out that Hoosier National Forest (HNF) had re-evaluated their Special Event policies and decided that in addition to buying permits for each rider ($7.5 each), HMBA would also be required to pay a hefty special event usage fee. The amount of the fee has been difficult to get an answer on and the HMBA and IMBA continue to work with the HNF on a waiver, but due to the uncertainty we have sought alternate routes.

We reached out to Indiana’s State Forests and asked if we could use trails and fire roads in the southern parcel of Yellowwood State Forest. They have come through for us and the 2012 BCBD will have some fantastic new routes! Some of HMBA’s trail crews have been out scouting the area and we are very excited with what we have found.

We will continue to work with HNF to get the Special Event fee waived in hopes of getting Nebo and Combs Rd. included into the Breakdown route, but even if that does not happen we will have new areas that few mountain bikers have ever seen and plenty of hills and challenges for those daring (and crazy!) enough to try for 100 miles.

Since many riders expect Nebo and Combs as well as trails in Hickory to be part of the route, we wanted to let you all know about the changes as quickly as possible. Indiana’s State Forest came through for us quickly and we rallied to get out and ensure we had some do able and fun alternative routes available.

We are still working on the final routes and trails in Yellowwood are NOT CURRENTLY OPEN TO MOUNTAIN BIKING, so please wait for the Breakdown to explore these new trails. For those who like the brutal climbs in Hickory, you will not be disappointed as there will be plenty of climbing in store!

An additional bonus is that this new route involves a return other than the fire road leading to the cabin, so two-way traffic on that trail will not be an issue.

We have always wanted to include Yellowwood in the Breakdown route and we would like to work with State Forests to get access for permanent trails. This would give us a route to connect Hoosier National Forest (NEBO Ridge) to Brown County State Park.
 We are looking forward to the 2012 BCBD. It will be another great day in the woods with a few hundred of your closest mountain biking friends!

Thanks,
 Paul Arlinghaus
 President: HMBA-IMBA

Tania and Jonathan Juillerat
 Event Directors
 Sub-9 Productions

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »
Still plenty of volunteer opportunities for the upcoming Brown County Breakdown!

Follow the link below to sign up.  Plenty to do on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Thanks in advance and we look forward to seeing you all at the 8th annual event!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqfwV3A4sOJWdGNuYUhaazlTb1VrT21JeEx0U0RRSmc#gid=0
Tell me and I forget; show me and I remember; involve me and I understand.
       - Anonymous

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:16 PM »

This year we were surprised to find out that Hoosier National Forest (HNF) had re-evaluated their Special Event policies and decided that in addition to buying permits for each rider ($7.5 each), HMBA would also be required to pay a hefty special event usage fee. The amount of the fee has been difficult to get an answer on and the HMBA and IMBA continue to work with the HNF on a waiver, but due to the uncertainty we have sought alternate routes.

This may seem like a dumb question (and I may already know the answer), but how can the Forest Service ask for a flat fee AND a daily pass? If someone is in possession of a daily pass,  how can the FS keep them from riding in the HNF regardless of their participation in the BCB?  Something's not right here, and based on the information provided it seems like the FS doesn't want us out there riding in HNF in large groups.

Dave
David Gardner
Husband, Granddad, Mountain biker
Southwestway Trail Bum

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »
This may seem like a dumb question (and I may already know the answer), but how can the Forest Service ask for a flat fee AND a daily pass?

Not a dumb question at all, but I don't have a good answer for you. 

If someone is in possession of a daily pass,  how can the FS keep them from riding in the HNF regardless of their participation in the BCB?  Something's not right here, and based on the information provided it seems like the FS doesn't want us out there riding in HNF in large groups.

The breakdown will not have any sags in HNF or put up any markings.  But you are correct in that if you take a break from the breakdown and with pass in hand ride Nebo, there's not much anyone can do to stop you!

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »
seems silly they wouldn't want more riders exploring out there in the HNF, sad they are being difficult, especially since they still make money off the regular passes.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »
The Breakdown is less than two weeks away... are you signed up yet?!?

We cannot WAIT for this year's event and the opportunity for folks to ride trails NEVER BEFORE OPENED TO MOUNTAIN BIKERS!  If you've ridden the Breakdown in the past and thought you'd done it all, than this is your chance to ride something new!  Trails in Yellowwood are only open to mountain bikers for the Breakdown on Sunday, October 14.  This is your one chance to see what Yellowwood could have to offer if we're ever given permanent access.

The Breakdown is also the HMBA's largest (well, only!) fundraising event of the year.  The Breakdown helps the HMBA fund new and current projects and grants throughout the state, and with nearly 15 more miles of trail close to approval at Brown County State Park, this is the perfect opportunity to show your support and help the HMBA continue to be one of the leading mountain bike organizations in the Midwest!   

We have a full weekend planned that you are NOT going to want to miss.  This is a family-friendly event, so bring the wife/husband, kids, friends, etc and join in the fun!

- Anonymous

yellowrocketbike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
This may seem like a silly question, but will there be any food vendors near the pool area during the Breakdown? We are bringing my motorhome, and will be staying in the park campgrounds, and I know about the hog roast, but am wondering about having to travel back to the campground for lunch / dinner times on Saturday.

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »
This may seem like a silly question, but will there be any food vendors near the pool area during the Breakdown? We are bringing my motorhome, and will be staying in the park campgrounds, and I know about the hog roast, but am wondering about having to travel back to the campground for lunch / dinner times on Saturday.

I'm looking into some options... Give me a day or so and I'll get back to you!
       - Anonymous

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
While I'm looking into the consessions, I will announce some awesome prizes we have lined up for this year's event!

We'll have tons of great items to give away.  All participants are automatically entered into a drawing on Sunday during the ride (you find out what you've won when you return!)  This year we're giving away a medium Niner EMD frame (thanks to Niner Bikers!), two carbon Niner forks (thanks to Bicycle Outfitter Indy!), REI Castleton has donated a camping package (includes REI Hobitat 4-person tent, REI Connect tech garage, 2 REI camp chairs and 2 Camelbak REI bottles!) and a Kona Big UNIT large frame from Kona Bikes, just to name a few!

But that's not all we have this year...  We'll be selling raffle tickets throughout the day on Friday and Saturday for a chance to win a 2011 Cannondale RZ One Twenty 2 (size large) full suspension mountain bike!  Retail value at $2599.  Winner will be announced during the live bluegrass music on Saturday night - must be present to win. 

Huge thanks to Cannondale and Nebo Ridge for this fantastic prize!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:22:23 PM by tjuillerat »
       - Anonymous

Doe

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
I'd like to go to the Breakdown but I don't think my husband is interested in going.  Trying to figure out a way....

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »
I'd like to go to the Breakdown but I don't think my husband is interested in going.  Trying to figure out a way....

There are a bunch of ladies with the Indianapolis Women's Mountain Bike Meetup group who are going. 
http://www.meetup.com/Womens-Mountain-Biking/events/72587372/

You might consider meeting up with some of these ladies!
       - Anonymous

tjuillerat

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »

Looks like the pool concession will be open on Saturday from Noon to 6 p.m. offering a limited amount of items (sandwiches, pretzals, some drinks, etc) for sale.  Don't forget we'll have the hogroast on Sunday starting at 3 p.m.  Non-participants hog roast tickets are still available for family and friends who wish to come down and take part in the festivities!
       - Anonymous

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links