//Trail Status mouse over Java // Passing Tip

Author Topic: Passing Tip  (Read 5707 times)

Mad Mikey

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Passing Tip
« on: May 11, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »
Quick tip for passing people - if someone is kind enough to pull off and let you by, be sure to let the rider you are passing know if there are 2 additional people in your group BEFORE or AS you pass them, not 15 yards down the trail.

Luckily a collision was averted (barely) last night.

Cheers!

Kswiss

• Kyle Schwab
    • View Profile
Re: Passing Tip
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:03:59 PM »
And always thank them!

Range_Rider

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:49:46 AM »
I wish more people made me aware that they were behind me. I try my hardest to be aware of riders coming up on me, but I'm a noob and sometimes i'm too fixated on the trail and the next thing i know someone is on my ass and hasn't said a word.  At least cough or something!

gt ss

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:07:48 PM »
I wish more people made me aware that they were behind me. I try my hardest to be aware of riders coming up on me, but I'm a noob and sometimes i'm too fixated on the trail and the next thing i know someone is on my ass and hasn't said a word.  At least cough or something!

If they don't say anything, don't get out of their way until they ask. It's their responsibility to let you know IF they want to go around.

Same thing goes for racing IMO.

faster on a 29er

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
I'm with gt ss.  Ride your ride unless a pass is called for.

I can usually size up a rider's skill set and I know where the safe passing zones are, so unless it's closed course racing, I'll keep quiet until we can arrange a pass. At that time I'll say "one back, you call the pass". Then depending on which side of the trail you pull over to, I'll say "on your (left/right), thank you"

For those mouth breathers that somehow loose the ability to formulate effective speach, I have a mirror. Then I can choose (or not choose) when, where or who I want to outrun.

Seth Hildebrand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:58:06 AM »
Would be nice if there was an agreed upon side which all passes are made. That can be confusing sometimes when a rider suddenly pulls to one side and hits the brakes where and when you aren't expecting them to hit the brakes.

Also, when being passed its usually fine to just slow down slightly and hug one side of the trail (such as the right side). That's typically all that's needed to let the passing rider slip past. I've seen riders go barreling completely off course and even crash in some cases to get out of the way.

Finally, passes don't always succeed. If the pass doesn't work and the passer backs off its no big deal, just keep riding until another opportunity presents.

Range_Rider

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:34:23 AM »

If they don't say anything, don't get out of their way until they ask. It's their responsibility to let you know IF they want to go around.

Same thing goes for racing IMO.

I'm completely new at all this and still getting my legs underneath me. I HATE when someone sneaks up behind me without saying anything and then rides inches off of my back tire. Tell me you are behind me and then i'll get over first chance.

Matt Ploch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
I always say "Howdy" and then "No hurry just make room when you can".  Some people are in the zone so I make no assumptions that they hear me even though my free wheel sounds like a horde of bees.  Now If I'm racing I usually size up if I'm actually competing in their class...if not I just say gotta go make room....if they're in my class then well that's what my sharpened elbows are for.

Sometimes the revolution is kind.

David Kuehnen

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA-IMBA member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
Would be nice if there was an agreed upon side which all passes are made. That can be confusing sometimes when a rider suddenly pulls to one side and hits the brakes where and when you aren't expecting them to hit the brakes.

Also, when being passed its usually fine to just slow down slightly and hug one side of the trail (such as the right side). That's typically all that's needed to let the passing rider slip past. I've seen riders go barreling completely off course and even crash in some cases to get out of the way.

Finally, passes don't always succeed. If the pass doesn't work and the passer backs off its no big deal, just keep riding until another opportunity presents.
I always try use the left side on the road, trails and on greenways , but regardless I call  out the side i passing ("...passing on your left..")...before i commit to passing.   
I agree with GTSS that anyone who shadows you without announcing their presence deserves to blocked.  A nice friendly "Rider Back" called out when you are still 20 to 30 feet back always seems to work.  The important thing is to never rush someone to let you pass.  Ask them politely if they can let you by when they find a good spot. Stressing out a newbie rider is a good way to get them to crash.
David Kuehnen, PE

FHSP    - 16 hr
TRTP.     - 8 hr

Attila

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »
I always yell out "rider is coming", if I see the trail narrows and the person scrambles to let me by I say "take your time". Also it's important to note how many are in your company.
2005 Haro Extreme
2005 Cannondale Scalpel
2008 Cannondale Scalpel
2012 Cannondale Scalpel

IndyScott53

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »
I have a small bell on my bike that I'll ding once as I'm approaching a slower rider ahead.  I think that's a good way to give them a heads up with plenty of time before I get up to them. 

I actually get passed more than I pass others, and I usually just pull off at some spot where there's enough room for me to get out of the way.

GChambers

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 06:58:14 PM »

I agree with GTSS that anyone who shadows you without announcing their presence deserves to blocked.  A nice friendly "Rider Back" called out when you are still 20 to 30 feet back always seems to work.  The important thing is to never rush someone to let you pass.  Ask them politely if they can let you by when they find a good spot. Stressing out a newbie rider is a good way to get them to crash.

Really? I usually don't announce my presence when coming upon someone. It ain't a race. I don't need to get right by. If anything, when I know that they've noticed me the first thing I say is "You're good. Take your time." Then they get a "Thank you" as I go by. Most riders are aware enough that they don't need to be told there's a rider back and they don't need to be told you want to pass and they're considerate enough to pull over. IMO, it's kinda rude to tell someone, when you're 20 feet behind them, that you're wanting to pass them. Just my opinion.

Now, different story for the two guys today that felt it necessary to stop right at the north base of the bridge blocking almost the entire trail coming from and going to the North Loop. I saw them both see me coming from the south loop. Didn't move. Didn't acknowledge I was there. Didn't move when I was coming up on them telling them I was wanting through. Didn't acknowledge the sarcastic "Thanks" they got as I barely missed one's back tire as I tried to get by to climb back up onto the North Loop. Apparently they feel they can just stop and block the trail at their leisure.

Problem is I'm preaching to the choir here. The inconsiderate riders probably don't read this forum.

john7722

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »
Passing etiquette is lacking everywhere?
A lady friend of mine is now bruised up one side and down the other and broke her index finger.
the D&%K just ran her of the trail on a down hill switch back. He never announced his presence and never stopped to see if she was alright after running her down.

WheezerMF

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
  • Yep, eleven...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »

Really? I usually don't announce my presence when coming upon someone. It ain't a race. I don't need to get right by. If anything, when I know that they've noticed me the first thing I say is "You're good. Take your time." Then they get a "Thank you" as I go by. Most riders are aware enough that they don't need to be told there's a rider back and they don't need to be told you want to pass and they're considerate enough to pull over. IMO, it's kinda rude to tell someone, when you're 20 feet behind them, that you're wanting to pass them. Just my opinion.

Now, different story for the two guys today that felt it necessary to stop right at the north base of the bridge blocking almost the entire trail coming from and going to the North Loop. I saw them both see me coming from the south loop. Didn't move. Didn't acknowledge I was there. Didn't move when I was coming up on them telling them I was wanting through. Didn't acknowledge the sarcastic "Thanks" they got as I barely missed one's back tire as I tried to get by to climb back up onto the North Loop. Apparently they feel they can just stop and block the trail at their leisure.

Problem is I'm preaching to the choir here. The inconsiderate riders probably don't read this forum.

Amen, brotha.
My collarbone's stronger than your collarbone-- It's ironic!
Give blood; ride a mountain bike:  http://www.cirbc.org/
HMBA Director-at-Large & Comm'ns Dir.

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 09:52:22 PM »
Every time I am traveling either direction approaching 465 I assume there are people stopped, doing nonsensical things under the overpass. Mr. Chambers' encounter is all too familiar. It's a dangerous area. A good number of people stop anywhere they want and are in their own little world.

That being said, I assume idiots are lurking around the corner and try to be prepared. To be fair, many are new to the sport and simply don't know better.

Also, I feel I have to be responsible with my speed. Meaning, that if I'm motoring pretty hard, that places a lot of responsibility on me.

OK, I'm rambling. Time to shut up.  :-X

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links