About the Big Woods Brown County Epic
Experience the best mountain biking in the Midwest at the Big Woods Brown County Epic Mountain Bike Festival, October 13-15, 2023. Located in Brown County, Indiana the 2023 Mountain Bike Festival and Epic Ride will offer tons of flowing single track during prime Autumn riding Season. The Epic Ride with SAG support will take place on Saturday, October 14. Routes of varying lengths will be available for participants. This is not a race, just a ride in the woods with friends. Sleep in Sunday and take an easy ride before breaking camp.
Last year’s event included the newly completed West Gate Trail and Gnawbone trail was just getting burned in. This year they should be more dialed in and in better shape.
The trails at Brown County State Park exist because of Hoosier Mountain Bike Association (HMBA) and the many volunteers who contribute thousands of hours each year. This event supports those efforts and more.
Expect 2023 to be another no brakes, all gas event with bands, raffles, great food, and epic riding!
Special notes for 2023:
- The 2023 Epic Ride routes will be posted on Trailforks closer to the start of the event. There will be limited signage on the routes during the event. Please download the gps routes, print maps, and/or use the Trailforks app.
- T-shirts will be guaranteed for early registrations. Please register early to guarantee your t-shirt. You will also save some $$ as the price will go up closer to the event and there is no guarantee that shirts will be available for day-of-registrations.
- Camping will be available by the pool on Friday and Saturday evening and must be purchased through Trailforks at the time of registration
Registration for the Epic Mountain Bike Festival includes:
- Unlimited good vibes for giving back to the local trail system!
- Recommended routes on Trailforks
- Food, drinks, and basic bike assistance (lube, pumps, tools, etc) at all aid stations
- Swag bag with cool stuff including an event t-shirt
- Post-ride dinner
- …and more to come, not to mention all proceeds go to HMBA which goes back to the trails you’re riding!
- To be announced
Friday October 13th
Noon – 9 PM Registration Open
Noon – 5 PM Product Expo
9:00: Down Hill and Flow Clinic by DNK Presents (must register on Bike Reg)
1:00PM: Down Hill and Flow Clinic by DNK Presents (must register on Bike Reg)
5:00PM: Women’s ride: Lower Parking lot (Pine Loop Trail Head) – Limited amount of women’s Transition Demo Bikes (1st come first served)
5 PM – 10 PM: Quaff On! BEER GARDEN and LIVE MUSIC
11 PM: Quiet hours begin
Friday nights entertainment will be a night full of original Southern Indiana music brought to you by Rainwater studios!
Local Duo D&O will get the music going with their dulcet harmonies, and local Legends Flick and Rainwater will be joined by Banjo Dave for some ass kicking, Brown County Music!
Saturday October 14th
7 AM – 6 PM: Registration / Check-In / Merchandise OPEN
7:53 AM Sunrise
8 AM: 62 Mile Riders Start****
9 AM: All other riders start***
***Arrive at start/finish area 10min before designated time for a safety / course condition review. Saturday rides are non-competitive. Choose a route/start time you are comfortable with. Please pay attention to support hours below:
8 AM – Noon: Weedpatch Sag
9 AM – 4 PM: Crooked Creek Sag (LUNCH 11 AM – 4 PM)
3 PM – 7 PM: Dinner provided by Sugar Creek BBQ (price included in registration)
3 PM – 10 PM: QuaffON! Beer Garden
4:10 PM: The Banister Band
7 PM: The Haters
7 PM All riders due back
7:10 PM Sunset
11 PM: Quiet hours begin
Sunday October 15th
10:00 AM: Limited amount of Demos available. Enjoy the park for one more day of riding!
Break camp and head home
Start planning for the next Brown County Epic!
2022 Official course links (Trailforks):
- 2022 Brown County Epic – Best of BC Flow (25 miles)
- 2022 Brown County Epic Route – 41 miles
- 2022 Brown County Epic Route – 61 miles
- SRAM Gravel Ride – Sunday at 10 AM (Map My Ride)
Download a compressed .zip file of all the gpx files above here: 2022_EPIC_gpx_files.zip (brought to you by trailforks)
Volunteer: (Volunteers will get a free t-shirt and tent camping)
- To be announced
- The course will not be marked! The official route is posted on Trailforks. Please use this app or download the gps routes to your computer. You can also use the Trailforks web page to print maps.
- All fires must be in elevated fire pits (no fires on the ground)
- Official route does not include Nebo and Combs Rd. If you ride these trails, you will need a Hoosier National Forest Trail Permit.
- State Park and State Forest Trails require a DNR off road cycling permit (can be purchased at BCSP gate)
- It’s a fun ride and not a race. Riders may start any time and modify the official route as desired.
- The course uses some public roads and goes through the campgrounds. Please be respectful to other park and road users.
- Trail D and 10 O’Clock Line trails are open to horses. Please stop if you encounter horse riders and ask them how to safely pass.
- This is not a race!
HMBA (Hoosier Mountain Bike Association) is a 501c (3) non-profit representing Central Indiana area mountain bikers. HMBA built and maintains most all of the natural surface mountain biking trails in Central Indiana, including the trails at Brown County State Park. HMBA members contribute more than 5,000 volunteer hours annually and have constructed over 125 miles of sustainable trails in Indiana.
Our sponsors are a HUGE part of making the Big Woods Brown County Epic Mountain Bike Festival such an amazing success. If you have questions about sponsorship please contact HMBA at firstname.lastname@example.org