Author Topic: Winter Trails  (Read 993 times)

harcuvar

Winter Trails
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
Where are the closest trails to Indy that are ridable all Winter and do not get snow? They can be out of state. I'm looking for weekend drive trips.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:33:06 PM by harcuvar »

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Trails
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
I'd guess some of the closest would be southern Kentucky.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

harcuvar

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:03:01 AM »
Do you have any trails names? Is there anywhere I can monitor the status of these trails so I don't drive down there for nothing?

Thanks.

LedPeddal

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 07:47:49 AM »
That would be the Sheltowe trace trail near London Ky. No way to check conditions. Look at Radar?
  You could just get a Fat bike and ride here all winter with that dude they call  "SHARK" ?
   Don't let the name fool ya   I heard he's a nice guy.  Likes to climb and breaks the sound barrier on downhills!

mhhigain

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
Laurel Lake is what you'll find down near Lodon. The sheltowee is part of that trail system but there is off shoots of other trails. Your best bet is to head over to ICS and talk to Scott Irons. He'll probably have maps or he'll draw something up. Locally, VBR will be leaf covered and probably hold up better (it gets no traffic). Also, you can ride the gravel roads down near Hickory (close to Nebo) to keep the legs going.

bradnelson

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:23:20 AM »
The Laural Lake trail and adjacent trails on the Sheltowee are rideable almost all winter. Not even rain will make these trails muddy. Just north of the lake trail the Sheltowee gets very technical (picture Pisgah with 10min climbs instead of 1hr climbs), and the drive is about 5hrs from Indy. I go to school in the area and am pretty familiar with the system. Anyone feel free to message me if they are interested in riding here and I would be glad to show you my "secret" winter stomping grounds!!

davebik

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »
Just went to Chattanooga last weekend and had a blast riding Raccoon Mtn.  It's a bit of a drive (6.5 hours) and can be closed with lots of rain, but it's about 20 miles with all levels of riding including rock drops up to 5 feet tall.  We hit hamilton creek park outside of Nashville TN on the way back to Bloomington and that was also really fun/rocky.  It was so fun to ride on rocky trails where you can pick different lines to take. we were in shorts and tee shirts 8)

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links