Author Topic: High School Mountain bike leagues?  (Read 1152 times)

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
High School Mountain bike leagues?
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »
I've been reading about it for several years now in Mountain Bike Action Mag.  Has anyone tryed to get this started?  Seems to be very popular in the states that have started it.  I think with the network of trails that have come on board the last several years that it could fly.  I would love to throw the idea out there for some of the Hamilton County area schools or any schools for that matter but would need some help otherwise getting it going.  Ryan   

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: High School Mountain bike leagues?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 07:55:40 AM »
I was actually getting ready to post an update.  We talked about this about 2 months ago and I have been e-mailing NICA.  Basically I have already asked my Superintendent at Wayne Township (Ben Davis) and he is on board for me to start a club team at my alternative school and the high school.  What I will need is to start finding some other people interested in starting up a team at other schools and which schools they are.  I can work though the central office of these schools and see what we can get.  Brian (DINO) and Paul have offered support and advice with any questions I have.  For any of you PM your interest with a particular school and we can get the ball rolling.  I know one group of youngsters already race the DINO series and I think they go to Brownsburg according to the article I read.  If anyone wants to talk I will be at the DINO Race.
Bob

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:22:05 PM »
Some updated info about HS mountain bike leagues came out of Interbike today.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/high-school-racing-continues-to-grow-in-united-states

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »
  What I will need is to start finding some other people interested in starting up a team at other schools and which schools they are.  I can work though the central office of these schools and see what we can get.  Brian (DINO) and Paul have offered support and advice with any questions I have.  For any of you PM your interest with a particular school and we can get the ball rolling.  I know one group of youngsters already race the DINO series and I think they go to Brownsburg according to the article I read.  If anyone wants to talk I will be at the DINO Race.
Bob
Bob, I know that Hillary Church, Naturalist teacher at Oaklandon is starting a mountain bike club for their school. They have ordered and received mountain bike and they want to come help work on the trails at Fort Harrison State Park.
HMBA Grill/Brewmaster General
I may be slow but I get there!

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »
Ok thanks!  We are currently getting a club started at Ben Davis and I know the group at Brownsburg is in.  So, I think if we could get a couple of more schools to start we could get a few kids out for a season real soon.  Pass my info on to her.  e-mail bboehman@lycos.com and cell 317-696-6991. Thanks.
Bob
Anyone else know of interest at other schools?  I am in contact with NICA now and using them for ideas, but really at this point we just need some kids.

zacdeitch

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:51:19 AM »
Just found this, but I go to Center Grove and would be interested in it. More so meeting you at SWW to ride. Ben Davis is just a little too far on a school night. Can you let me know of a schedule when you get one?  Thanks
SWW Trail Bum
Bridge #10 Boy/Creator

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »
Not a problem, we will actually be going to SWW so as we get going after spring break you are more than welcome to join us.  Also, I talk to the boys from Brownsburg this week at Tsali and they are in for a team there as well.  I am currently contacting other Principal's I know and seeing how many schools we can get on board to start.  My group will be starting to just ride in the next week or so, races hopefully down the road.
Bob

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA - IMBA Member
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
Wow, this is cool. First I have heard of it.  If any anything develops in Fishers I would be interested in possibly helping out.   :D

bboehman

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:32:06 PM »
Dave,
  This was my first year as a Principal and it was even busier than I could have imagined, but I will be working on this more in June once the teachers and students are out of the building and the office is empty!  SWW will see us real soon though if it is dry, as in Tuesday possibly.  I will let people know for sure in case someone wants to show us around Tuesday evening.
Bob

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links