Author Topic: Firearms Season for Deer  (Read 2839 times)

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Firearms Season for Deer
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:57:54 PM »
Starts tomorrow.Be heads up. Best to stay out of HNF or other trails not inside the park lines. Also for parks, special hunts will be Nov 15,16 and again on the 29th,30th. Check out DNR for more in depth info.

Bigdaddy

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile

fortvillian

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
Re: Firearms Season for Deer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 06:48:38 PM »
just wear your bright orange jerseys and helmets!!

gnawbonelefty

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »
Once you get more than 200 yards into the woods the number of hunters you'll encounter is close to nill.  No one wants to haul a big buck out of the woods from far away from their vehicle.  you'll be fine as long as you don't where your dear skin team kit.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:20:47 AM by gnawbonelefty »

JClasen

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:04:11 PM »
Just wondering...Have hunters mistaken mtbers for deer in the past? Has anybody been shot at while riding their bike on the trail?

mhhigain

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:54:46 AM »
I went to Nebo for a ride about 5 years ago on opening day by accident. I did have my orange Jersey so I went for it. As I tried to leave the parking lot at Hunter gets my attention and asked me if he could borrow some tools to put together his tree stand. 20 minutes later and his stand was built so I made him promise not to shoot me. Plus I figured exactly what Rob said. There was no way he was going to drag that stand up the hill to were I was going. And he was going to have to use the same trail I was using so the likely hood of being mistaken is very doubtful.

ess121212

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »
My life is not worth taking any chances with a shot gun hunter. I am a deer hunter and I am staying out of the woods where people might be hunting during shot gun season.

Dan71

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
Two years ago at Nebo I think all the vehicles in the parking lot were hunters.  I talked to many while climbing the hill.  I got a little nervous and went home.

Today I rode BCSP and there was a group of three hunters walking the trail looking for a spot to hunt this week.  No guns.

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Stay out of Nebo!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »
About 4 years ago a buddy and I decided to ride Nebo during gun season.  It was mid-day and mid-week so we thought things would be cool.  Not far after passing the pond you can see a road again, we noticed an old truck parked there.  Discussed briefly the idea that it was probably a hunter, but kept going.  On the way back, shortly before seeing the truck again, a hunter proceeds to fire a shot over our heads :o!!!  We kicked it into high gear and got out of their ASAP.  Needless to say, I won't do ANY riding in those areas while gun season is in progress.  Take it for what it's worth, but I'll leave these areas to the hunters this time of year.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:08:26 PM »
What are you guys worried about?
Just don't wear this helmet....

Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

jim_michaux

• View Profile
    • vagoscribe
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »
As an HMBA forum newbie...(see left)

I don't mind the deer hunters, and I especially don't mind a little venison in the chili pot.  

A while back I decided to buy an orange mid-weight riding jersey, hoping it might deter bullets from flying near my warm-blooded torso.  So far, it's worked, including a stint at 'poo where voices from the camo said, "we see you."  I responded, "Good luck!"

It's been cold, wet and soggy, and not mtb-favorable of late in our Indiana homeland. Who remembers this late 2009 day?  Warm, sunny, dry...about the same time of the month when it was cold, wet, snowy this past year...

http://vagoscribe.com/2009/12/12/deer-me-an-in-mtb-trifecta/

I don't hunt, but I like when hunters share their wealth!  

SplashofPee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »
It will soon be turkey season.  So watch out for the turkey hunters as well. They dont wear orange.

All I want for Xmas is empty trails --
THANKS TRAIL BUILDERS!!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links