Author Topic: Old Ft Harrison Trail building updates - Locked  (Read 97774 times)

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
Old Ft Harrison Trail building updates - Locked
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
I worked this afternoon removed two stumps on the trail, finished benching the steep backslope section, worked three diffrent areas where crossed logs were opened up. I raked and raked and raked....... I did a couple grade reversals, build a couple log options (let me know if they are ok). If my body recovers from todays work out I may go back out tomorrow. I love skipping out of work to play in the woods!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:43:28 PM by jasonhilt »
HMBA Grill/Brewmaster General
I may be slow but I get there!

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
Re: Ft Harison Trail building updates
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
I walked the entire benched trail to date raking and tweeking. The very new benching done near crossing 2 needed lots of TLC. It looks very presentable now. I worked between crossing 1 and two completing trail connections and grade reversals. Another great day in the woods. Remember to come over to Southwest Way Saturday. I am cooking the festivities start at 9am! East of Mann Rd and South of Southport Rd.

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »
Armored Crossing 1 is complete I attached a couple of pictures (you have to be logged in to see the pics). Once the crushed stone is washed from a couple of rains there will be some beautiful granite rock. Those granite rocks were heavy! I dropped off a wheel barrow load of crushed lime stone at crossing 2. I was going to start collecting rocks for crossing two tomorrow.

[old attachment deleted by admin to free space]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:58:04 AM by Kirk Wheeler »

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:39:25 AM »
 I will lead a trail work day at Ft Benjamen Harrison this Saturday April 10th, start NLT 9am stay as long as you like. For those that have not participated after entering the park follow the signage to the horse stables at the top of the hill take a left at the next intersection take another left into the old campground area. Park on the right. My truck is a Chevy Colorado dark cherry red that needs a bath really bad. We will be working in the woods near the Aggregate Piles. You will see them as you make your first left at the top of the hill. Please post up if you are coming out Saturday.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:19:40 AM by Kirk Wheeler »

john7722

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 04:53:30 AM »
I will be there after a mandatory safety meeting at work.. Should be @ F H by 11..

MikeVK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:25:04 AM »
I plan to be there at 9 and work until lunch time.

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »
I will be out at Harrison Woods tomorrow and Saturday. For Saturday I will wait around until 9am then I will be in the woods to the left (Northwest) working on new benchcutting trail flagged by Hufhand. I also will be working on rock crossing #4. Rumor has it that there will be a reinactment going on on the two hills at the northend of the picnic area so be watching for traffic. My Truck has been washed so look for a dark cherry red Chevy pickup. See ya there!

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »
It was a great day at the Fort today. I started and finished armored crossing #4. A big thanks to Nick and Mike for come out and benching new trail. It was a beatiful day to be outdoors. Check out the 2010 DNR outdoors magazine the cover will be loved by every mountain biker. ;D See everyone out there tomorrow that can break away from their honey dos.

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 06:54:15 PM »
The Harrison woods were beatiful and there is even more new trail to brag about today. A big thank you goes out the Mike, Gary, Jeff, Chris, Jake, John and Stephanie for the excellant bench cutting and racking. The job goes very well with a smooth oiled team. I think Mike Hufhand will be impressed.

Terrapinpedaler

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
Is there a weekday evening trail build?

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
My next availability week night trail work opportunity will be Wednesday night thru Friday. Monday and Tuesday are out. We got so much done last week that a pause is necessary to get leaderships input on the next move. The one thing that can be done is dressing up the trail by pulling down leaves and sticks to dress up the uphill and downhill sides of the trail. To make the brand new trail look like it has been there forever. Thanks again everyone for coming out!

bobboyan

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »
Kirk, Let me know if you or anyone else is going to be working on the trail this week. I've got some free time Wednesday through Friday, and I would love to help out.

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:37 PM »
I plan on being out there Wednesday thru Friday in the evenings. Wednesday and Thursday I should be out there around 5:30pm and Friday about 4:30pm. Saturday is a possibility to do reclaimation and tweeking of the trail. Find my truck and walk north on the two track look to the right. I will be down armoring another crossing more that likely during the week.

Kirk Wheeler

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
  • Homebrewing is Forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »
Finished another large rock armor crossing and got some bench cutting in as well. A big thanks to Steve King for coming out and helping bench cut more sweet trail. The trail is now at the honey suck itching to move north! ;D

MikeHufhand

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 11:01:23 PM »
Finished another large rock armor crossing and got some bench cutting in as well. A big thanks to Steve King for coming out and helping bench cut more sweet trail. The trail is now at the honey suck itching to move north! ;D

Go north young man!  Well...and abit west. (for this saturday)
HMBA Trails Advocacy Leader
Trail Building Junkie
HMBA member since 1999

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links