Author Topic: Wapehani Trail Conditions  (Read 27426 times)

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Wapehani Trail Conditions
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »
I went out yesterday for a bit but didn't stay.  Much of the trail was pretty soft.  Since we got even more rain overnight, I'd imagine we should leave the park alone for a few days.  If any of the storms forecast for the beginning of the week materialize, I'd say leave it alone until next weekend.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:27:42 AM by Alex »

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Wapehani Trail Conditions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:52:36 PM »
Just this one for now:

Speaking of features, someone dismantled the rock filter up at the top of the black diamond jump line.  I restored as best as I could in the time that I had.  I'll be modifying it to make it more permanent and tamper-proof.   

If you don't understand why the rock filter is there, please go read the black diamond thread.

(Also: I just pruned this thread in a big way.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:17:52 PM by Kevin M »

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:41:42 PM »
Tread is in good shape, but there's some major blowdown on the south side of the Lake Loop. I partially cleared one tree just after the spillway crossing, and then there's a big red oak crown down across the intersection with the cedar cribbing. I won't be able to finish clearing those until Sunday's afternoon's volunteer session.

The storm also shook loose lots of small stuff. If you ride this weekend, please take 5-10 minutes to pick up little limbs and branches. Post up if there is more chainsawing to be done; I didn't have time for a full trail system inspection today.

KB

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
Rode yesterday and picked up most of the small branches along the east and south sides.  There are two trees down across the trail in the most southeast corner of the park. Didn't have time to make it up to the northwest section.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »
Thanks a lot, KB! Are the two trees in the southeast corner the ones that have been down for a couple of years near the informal entrance from the field (near the old tires)? Or are they fresh blowdown?

I'm not going to clear the old ones; that's not officially part of the park, and there are easy ride arounds. If there are new trees down on the PIC property, I may or may not clear them depending on how big they are and how much they interfere with the flow of the trail.

KB

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »
Well, the two trees are in that general vicinity.  I hadn't been down in that corner in a while, so maybe they've been there?   I rode down the eastern perimeter of the PIC trails, and the first tree was just before the bend as you head west toward the creek.  It looked fresh and you could barely pass a 29er underneath.  I then took the next right as if to head back toward the parking lot.  The next tree was probably 100 feet up that trail.  It looked like maybe it had been there a while.  I could ride under it, but some of the limbs hanging off it probably could be trimmed up to make it safer.

If this is old news, I apologize!  Awesome work you've done the past few years, btw!

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »
Sounds like we're talking about different trees. I'll take a look; if they're hanging over the trail I'd like to bring them down.

Update: Thanks for the pics, KB. I cut the one that was lower over the trail. The other leaning trunk will be a little trickier, but I should be able to get to that next week.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:57:28 AM by Kevin M »

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Red for sure. Hope the rest of the week is sunny.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:52:34 AM »
As of yesterday afternoon there was a lot of puddling around the Lake, the spillway was running hard, and all the southside springs were steady flowing (and reminding me of all the potential armoring projects...).  I would wait until tomorrow to ride.

MicroTim

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »
Was wondering, thanks for the update!

donjoses

• Training wheels on
  • nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 10:54:21 PM »
Couple trees down that could be removed. 1 on the long climb up to the cell tower. It's not large but it's pretty high off the ground. 1 on the decent down outcrop hill. 1 on the trail that winds down to the stream crossing from the parking lot area (after the log jumps). 

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 07:27:24 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! I'll try to get to those as early as I can next week.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
Yellow.

KB

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:16:11 AM »
Trails were in pretty good shape last night, with the exception of the usual soft spots over on the east side.  In addition to the trees listed above, there is a small treetop down across the connector from the lake loop to the creek crossing (hard left after crossing spillway bridge). 

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em coming.

All reported blockages chainsawed today.

I'll start laying out the I-69 reroutes after the holiday, and hopefully we'll be swinging rhinos by the end of the month.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links