Author Topic: Wapehani Trail Conditions  (Read 24892 times)

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Wapehani Trail Conditions
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »
I went out yesterday for a bit but didn't stay.  Much of the trail was pretty soft.  Since we got even more rain overnight, I'd imagine we should leave the park alone for a few days.  If any of the storms forecast for the beginning of the week materialize, I'd say leave it alone until next weekend.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:27:42 AM by Alex »

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Wapehani Trail Conditions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:52:36 PM »
Just this one for now:

Speaking of features, someone dismantled the rock filter up at the top of the black diamond jump line.  I restored as best as I could in the time that I had.  I'll be modifying it to make it more permanent and tamper-proof.   

If you don't understand why the rock filter is there, please go read the black diamond thread.

(Also: I just pruned this thread in a big way.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:17:52 PM by Kevin M »

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
A couple pics of the new bridge:

There's still a couple hundred feet of steep sideslope on either side of the gully to be brought down to trail grade.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
Red for today...and probably all weekend.

The jump is now roll-able.  The safety ramp extends not quite 4ft from the jump deck.  If you're hitting it fast enough to jump, you'll clear the ramp.  If you hit the feature and for whatever reason feel like you have to change your plans, you can now drop your front wheel over the front, put your weight back, and roll.  This is in addition to the ride around through the woodchips.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
City trails are green.  PIC stuff is full of mudholes.

The spillway connector is getting plenty of traffic.  Keep it coming; the soft sections will firm up with time. 

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »
There is no longer any entrance to the park from the south. The informal cell tower trailhead is closed b/c Tech Park Blvd is closed.

The road has technically been the property of Hoosier Energy for several months, but it is now fenced and gated. It is not a public right of way--it's a construction zone. H.E. has begun clearing its Tech Park lots for its new corporate HQ. The clearing comes right up against the park property line. Please stay out of the clearings.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
Some of you will have noticed by now that there are a lot of new survey stakes along the west edge of the park.  They are topped with yellow marking tape.  They are related to I69.  Many of them are in the woods, some of them are close to the trail, and one of them--just installed today--is directly in the middle of the tread.

I have asked that the one in the middle of the trail be moved so that it is not a hazard.

Please do not disturb these stakes.  That would only make it more difficult for us to plan for trail relocation.  If you feel other stakes than the one I've already reported are too close to the trail, please let me know. 

Allen Edwards

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »
I just saw those stakes this afternoon while I was doing our monthly trail inspection.  None of them seemed hazardous to me but I didn't go on the trails between the cell tower and the highway.  Maybe that's where it was or maybe it's been moved already?

I'm not sure exactly what the stakes are indicating but I suspect there are some re-routes in our future.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »
The stake to look out for is on the south side, at the bottom of Hwy Hillside, in the sassafras stand just before you connect to the Lake Loop.

Much needed storm just rolled thru. Stay off the trails tonight; conditions should be ok tomorrow unless we get more rain overnight.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »
Red.  Currently raining and likely to continue off and on all day.  (Weekly trail work tonight also cancelled for the same reason.)

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »
Drying out nicely except for the PIC mud holes.

Green by the end of the day.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 08:18:53 AM »
The final south side reroute is now open! Thanks to Allen and the Bloomingfools for the initial work, and to Tim and Jeremy for plugging away at it with me on Thursdays.

Allen Edwards

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »
That's great news!  I can't wait to put some tires on it.

Allen Edwards

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30:11 AM »
Got in a night ride yesterday after work.  The new stuff rides great!  If we get this rain in the next couple of days, it will go a long way toward setting the new trails.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
Red. The rain will be good, so long as people stay off the new stuff while it's soft.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links