Author Topic: BCSP Trail Conditions  (Read 192766 times)

lenlog

• View Profile
BCSP Trail Conditions
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:31:33 AM »
I am going to keep the BCSP trail conditions thread pruned down to only those posts relevant to current conditions.

If your post is of "archival quality"  please use another thread.

..moderator
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:40:24 AM by Alex »

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
Re: BCSP Trail Conditions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:20:31 PM »
Now that I got my smart-ass comment out of the way, let me tell you what I found today.

Yesterday there was a small water-filled spot on GV that I rode by (figured it was small, it'll dry up). Guess what? Today it was still holding water. Every time a rider goes through it, it'll cause a deeper hole in the mud, or riding around causing the trail to widen.

Now....on to the stick-drained locations, at least 3 - 4 good ones on GV alone. I'm talking 12 - 24" across and a couple inches deep. They were bone-dry today. The two guys I was riding with couldn't tell which spots I had drained. Hell I had a hard time on a couple I didn't think they would have dried up so nicely based on how bad they were yesterday before I drained them.

I'm not arguing that true work-day trail maint with proper tools is the best way to do things, but simply draining problem spots & scraping the leaves & mud away from the downside (think hockey stick lol)  is pretty good preventative maintenance I think. The spots I opened are now totally dry & will likely drain quite well for the next few months.

If more riders would do simple things like this, there would be many less "problem areas" that have to be addressed by full-on trail work days.

:)
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »
 I wasn't trying to say that your effort weren't worthwhile or appreciated.  My point is that we also need to have organized trail work days at Brown County. 
Whenever I talk to State Parks or State Forests about more trails, their biggest concern is whether or not the mountain bike community can maintain more trails.  It is the most important thing we can do to allow us to continue to get access to build more trails.
Organized trail work days are important for several reasons.  First, it is how we teach mountain biker how to maintain trails.  New riders likely do not how to work on trails.  It is dangerous to encourage people who have not worked with experienced trail workers to do self-paced work.  If we want to continue to instill in mountain bikers the need for mountain bikers to take charge building and maintaining our trails, then we need to promote and lead organized trail work days.
Another reason is that there are many tasks that need to be done that require planning and tools.  We need to strive to make long lasting repairs.
The best strategy is to be preventive.  That means to address issue prior to the trail being damaged.  While riding, you are likely to only notice spots that have become issues.  If you walk the trail, and know what to look for, in many cases you can spot areas before they become issues and easily address them. 
The bottom line is that organized trail work days are required to continue to build new trails at BCSP.  I would really like to see some local riders step up and organized some regular trail work days at BCSP.  When I feel the trail maintenance is under control, then I can focus on building new trails. 

HMBA President

too_many_cats

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 03:53:53 AM »
There was a tree down on HP before the storms came through. It was uphill from the bridge. 10-12", I think, and directly in the trail. Folks moved it aside to ride around it, but it was still there when I left as the rain started.

Also, turns out Mike Pence was staying at the Aynes House. I was taking a break at the top of Aynes when he and two friends walked up. I didn't know who he was, so I treated them like I treat all hikers. They were going to walk the fire road but wanted a longer hike than that, so I directed them around the Aynes loop and gave them one of the spare maps I carry. Then Pence introduced himself and shook my hand. If I hadn't been really surprised by the whole thing, I would've said something other than 'have a nice hike.' That's probably a good thing. Hopefully he got a sense that mountain bikers are a helpful, friendly lot.

However, it's too bad I know too little about the state's involvement and that someone else who does know enough wasn't there to give him the trail advocate word. :/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:03:59 AM by too_many_cats »

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:39:59 PM »
First, please report trail issues on the trail issues forum thread.

Second, we error on the side of leaving logs on Schooner.  Schooner does not need to be 100% Rideable.  Please leave the logs for now, until we have time to get some eyes on them. 

Paul
HMBA President

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:23:31 PM »
Not forgotten,  more like bundled.
By that I mean that I have been working on the much larger picture this Summer and Fall.  While we did get formal approval for the Hobb's Hollow Flow trail and conditional approval for the HP Bowl Trail, we still don't have final approval of the whole next phase (Limekiln Return, HP East, Weedpatch Connector, HP Bowl, and Hobbs Hollow).  The problem with getting approval for one trail at a time is that changes to one trail can impact other trail alignments.  That was what happened with HP bowl.  Changes to the Weedpatch trail required us to make some changes to the HP bowl.

We expect final approval for the whole phase soon. 

And we really picked up speed this summer at Yellowwood State Forest. I have just put together a rough concept for the South East Park of Yellowwood State Forest. 

In the next few weeks, I hope to have approval for some work at Yellowwood.  So I will likely hold hold a meeting at BCSP/Nashville to discuss the big picture.  There are some trails that we will need to fund raise for and completely build professionally, some will be all volunteer built, and some will be a hybrid of both. 

So HP Bowl is not forgotten, we have just been working on the much bigger picture.

Paul

HMBA President

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 05:03:28 PM »
We have volunteers who are approved for chainsaw work.  If you have chainsaw experience and safety gear (helmet, chaps, ear, and eye protection) and would like to do chainsaw work for HMBA you could work with me tomorrow and get on the list. 

But we also need non chain sawyers.  Typically when big stuff is down there is also lots of little stuff that can be moved by hand or sawed by hand.  Also want to have helpers for the chain sawyers. 

It also is a good time to look for sections holding water and doing routine maintenance.  So we can put everyone to work.  I will also be bringing the needed tools.

Paul

HMBA President

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:14:40 PM »
Red today, while much of the trail was drying up, the spring seeps are really running.  Until the leaves come out and the trees start sucking up some water, the trails will take a full day to dry out.

Also, we need to get the leaves blown off the trails asap as they are holding water on the tread.  I expect yellow conditions by tomorrow afternoon, but the trails need TLC to stay ahead of the spring riders. 

The HMBA leaf blower is at Hesitaion Point Bike Shop.  If you have time to leave blow a trail, please contact Tad and arrange to pick up the blower. The leafs are holding moisture on the trails and blocking drainages.  Clear the tread and in wet areas, blow the leaves off the back slope and out of the drains.  We took care of pine today.  Please post up if you leaf blow a trail so that we know what trails have been cleared.

This photo shows leaves that are dry on top and yet are holding water on the dirt underneath.

Also please note the new gates on Pine Loop. Pine requires extra time to dry out, and we do not want to wait until Pine drys out to turn the status to yellow or green.  There are now gates on both ends of Pine.  The good news is that armoring we did last year really worked and we did more armoring today.  By protecting Pine in wet times and staying ahead of the maintenance, Pine will be ready for lots of use this summer.  Please respect the trail closed gates.  We will open Pine as soon as possible.
HMBA President

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »
And, Park staff cleared the big tree off of Limekiln.

HMBA President

Steve King

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
I'm new to this site, and I'm interested in trying Brown County's trails.
So basically, if brown county is in the red then the trails are closed? What if it's in the yellow?
I was planning to make a trip there Sunday, like to know how to tell if the trails will be open. Thanks

See this link.

http://www.hmba.org/wp/trail-guide/explanation-of-trail-status-indicators/

Otter

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
I wouldn't say it dries quickly, but some parts are better than others.  My suggestion/guess would be to go ride Nebo or HNF on Friday AM and give the trails a little more time to dry.  I'm betting by Friday PM the trail status will be yellow as the temps are supposed to be pretty high.  You might avoid Pine and Green Valley the first day and give those 2 problem areas extra time to dry out.  I would think Saturday will be awesome...but busy!

Nate Hawkins

• HMBA Board
  • Administrator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA web lackey and GIS guru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »
Looking at the precip maps here:

http://www.hmba.org/wp/trail-guide/brown-county-state-park/

Parts of brown county got less rain than a lot of other areas in central Indiana over the past 24hrs, but over the past week, parts of it got nearly as much as parts of Indy.  It will probably start drying sooner, but until someone reports from the trail, I can't say much more than that.
2014 HMBA/IMBA At-Large Board Member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association
Indy Ride Guide Program Coordinator
INDYCOG

bikerman

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:44:30 AM »
Hello, Can someone give an up date on the new Hobbs Hollow trial as of 9-22-14? When it will be open or how much work is needed?
Thank You!
Bikerman ;D   

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »
Hobbs Hollow has not been started.  We will be starting up fund raising this fall to build the next wave of trails at BCSP.  Start and completion dates depend of our fund raising efforts.

Thanks,

Paul
HMBA President

vette-ss

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »
FYI,
They will be working on the ramps at Columbus exit this weekend.
Good news on the trail, but not on the roads.  What should someone not familiar with the area do coming in from the north?  Get off at the exit before (76) and take 31 to Columbus?  Planning a Saturday noonish arrival.  Thanks!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links