Author Topic: Trail Conditions  (Read 29396 times)

smackgilbson

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Trail Conditions
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:14:39 AM »
Post Current Trail Conditions
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:24:18 PM by Sparky »
-ride on, Zach

Dead Possum

• Training wheels on
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »
The trails were in great shape earlier today. Get out and ride!

JonnyB

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:59:01 AM »
Any word on the conditions for a ride today?

Dead Possum

• Training wheels on
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »
We've had some showers in the area the past couple of days, and the trails could be muddy in the usual locations, but for the most part, should dry off quickly. Watch for downed trees and limbs.

RJ Reynolds

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:02:16 PM »
Trails were perfect this AM (7/11/14)

sherrijane

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:41:54 AM »
There is also a tree down on Group Camp, same place that grape vine had been hanging before right around the group camp past the bridge going downhill.

Dead Possum

• Training wheels on
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
The trails are freaking awesome right now. You should be riding.

There is a tree across the Group Camp Trail, between the Boy Scout Bridge and The End of the Road. It was too big for my hand saw.

Dead Possum

• Training wheels on
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:57:54 PM »
Chigger Alert!!!

The nasty blood-suckers are out in force. Bug repellent is strongly recommended, unless you like to itch and scratch or are somehow immune.

I sprayed before I rode last week, but they managed to get through the mesh on my shoes, which I didn't spray as heavily as I'd sprayed everywhere else.

MTBRDK

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »
Has anybody laid eyes on the trails? It's showing as red above, but I called the park and was told they didn't have much rain and the trails should be fine. 

Dead Possum

• Training wheels on
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:02:54 PM »
I was out there early this morning doing some trail maintenance. When I got there, it was still wet, with some puddles. By the time I left at 10:30, things had dried out nicely, with only a few of the usual wet areas left over.

Very humid...

sherrijane

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
Thanks for the update! maybe the rain will hold off

RIC0

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 07:33:11 AM »
How much rain in that area i know sellersburg got hammered
Doin the possum trot

ericoneal

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »

I did a section of the AHT last week and got destroyed with chiggers that showed up a few hours after the ride.  Lots and lots of those spiders that like to build webs face high right in the trail too.
BUT..NOT ONE TICK!

Chigger Alert!!!

The nasty blood-suckers are out in force. Bug repellent is strongly recommended, unless you like to itch and scratch or are somehow immune.

I sprayed before I rode last week, but they managed to get through the mesh on my shoes, which I didn't spray as heavily as I'd sprayed everywhere else.

Dead Possum

• Training wheels on
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »

I can feel the itch just thinking about it. They seem to be quite hungry right now. Nasty little buggers--I had bites between my toes--a place I'd never had attacked before.

What section of the AT were you on and other than the insects, how were the conditions?

I did a section of the AHT last week and got destroyed with chiggers that showed up a few hours after the ride.  Lots and lots of those spiders that like to build webs face high right in the trail too.
BUT..NOT ONE TICK!

Chigger Alert!!!

ericoneal

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »

I did the other side of the road Firetower down to the road where you turn around and go back, but instead of that, I went down the road to the Potatoe Creek trail and took it out to the shelter on the river overlook.  One section there of thick brush, but it was almost all rideable with the exception of a log or two.  Great trail. 
Went back to the road, then up the AHT across the street to the campground, then hit the Rocky Ridge.  That section was not bad, but again, a couple (not many) waist-high logs and one overgrown section.
I'm really looking forward to doing the whole trail when the bugs die.  I did the southern half last year and it was alot of fun.

I can feel the itch just thinking about it. They seem to be quite hungry right now. Nasty little buggers--I had bites between my toes--a place I'd never had attacked before.

What section of the AT were you on and other than the insects, how were the conditions?

BUT..NOT ONE TICK!

Chigger Alert!!!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links