Author Topic: Trail Conditions  (Read 27838 times)

smackgilbson

  • Should be riding....
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
    • View Profile
Trail Conditions
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:14:39 AM »
Post Current Trail Conditions
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:24:18 PM by Sparky »
-ride on, Zach

Dead Possum

  • Moderator
  • Training wheels on
  • *****
  • Posts: 32
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:25:10 PM »
We had a brief opportunity to check out the trails over the past weekend.


They were in pretty rough shape, with many rutted-up damaged areas.


Please continue to check the trail status, and avoid riding while the trails are wet.








bholcomb

  • Training wheels on
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »
Do you think that without any rain the trails will be good to go this weekend?

Dead Possum

  • Moderator
  • Training wheels on
  • *****
  • Posts: 32
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »
Based on the forecast, and with some luck, the trails may dry out more this week.

There are still many seeps and springs flowing, and until things green up more, groundwater will continue to be an issue.

The trails took a serious beating this winter, and there are a number of wet and muddy sections that require attention.

When you encounter them, please ride through the mud and not around it to help prevent additional damage.

goatbike

  • HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Opps I did it again!
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »
Camp group trail is a definite yellow but the fire tower trail is red (wet). The trails are in bad shape but a group day and some well placed drainage would do wonders.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dead Possum

  • Moderator
  • Training wheels on
  • *****
  • Posts: 32
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
Short sections of Fire Tower were wet and sloppy, but I broke through some of the dams and berms today. With any luck, they will drain better and begin to dry out.


Group Camp Trail was mostly dry and in pretty good shape.


If you come across standing water, please take a stick, dig a channel and try to get the water to flow off the trail.


There are a few trees that will require attention.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:45:28 AM by Dead Possum »

thehoov

  • Training wheels on
  • *
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »
A group of us were planning to travel from Evansville Saturday to ride OBSP, but it sounds like trail conditions aren't good - mud and trees down.  Is it rideable/worth the 1.5 hour drive?

Dead Possum

  • Moderator
  • Training wheels on
  • *****
  • Posts: 32
  • O'Bannon Trail Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Trail Conditions
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
I was just looking at the forecast for the week. There is a 70% chance of thunderstorms tonight and a 60% chance on Thursday night. They are also saying long-range a 20% chance on Friday and Saturday. Being an optimist, that means there is an 80% chance that won't happen, but if any of the rain ends up being heavy, it will definitely take a few days to dry out.


The trees that are down aren't really a big deal--just a small detour to walk around them, although a couple can be hopped. The mud will continue to be an issue until the seeps and springs stop flowing and we can get a volunteer crew in to do some rock armoring and repair work.


 

Important Links

Join HMBA

 

Calendar

 

Trail Guide

 

Links