Author Topic: VSP Trail Conditions  (Read 105899 times)

Guy

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
VSP Trail Conditions
« on: May 24, 2006, 05:51:59 AM »
Post trail conditions here.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:42:09 AM by Alex »

Guy

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: VSP Trail Conditions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:10:00 AM »
Freeze/Thaw....Freeze/Thaw........Freeze/Thaw

Well, it's that time of year again. When the temperature dips below freezing at night, and goes above it during the day.
Try to ride early in the morning while the ground is still frozen. Once it thaws out, the trail will be very slick, (greasy), on top from the moisture that has been forced upward during the night. As the day warms up, the trail can become soft down several inches. Which is when riders can do some serious damage, leaving ruts that stick around for a long time.

Sometimes late in the evening also works for a ride after a freeze/thaw cycle, especially if it has been a sunny, warm day.

Late morning, when most bikers are used to rolling into the trailhead parking lot, can be the WORST time to start a ride in the winter. Midday doesn't work during freeze/thaw!

Some other winter riding tips;
Try to find out beforehand if the day is going to be sunny or not before riding. Cloudy days can increase your riding time by an hour or so, even if the temp goes above freezing.

If it is going to be a sunny day, try to ride the sunny side trails early in the day while they are still frozen. South facing trails can turn soupy even at below freezing temps, once the sun hits them full-on.

Leaf cover can also make a difference. Well covered trails might not freeze at all, and if they do, they thaw out slower.

Try to be closer to the trailhead as the temps warm up. Conditions can change rapidly, and pushing a bike with two inches of peanut butter mud on the tires back four miles to the truck is pretty frustrating...... Been there, done that! >:(

Winter riding can be a challenge, but also a rewarding experience if you plan ahead....... (And you don't feel as guilty about watching football the rest of the day.  ;D)

Don't be a Smuck, and ride trails when they're Muck.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:13:49 PM by Guyfry »

Guy

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:19:35 PM »
What are those new dining options?  I'll be camping there Oct 25-28 and might like to go out for a meal or two.

There's a new Gold Star Chili on Hwy 50 and there's also Crossroads restaurant on the west end of town. The Mexican place got closed recently by the law, for questionable accounting practices.
Ernies Pizza, on Hwy 421 south is good. And I believe that The Yellow Dog Tavern is still open on the downtown square.

Rich_Ries

• View Profile
    • Big Ring Adventure Team
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »
Crossroads is a good choice as is Gold Star. Yellow Dog keeps erratic hours and has been closed every time we've gone by. I think Hong Kong Dragon has closed. Super Val is gone and the grocery store that will replace it is not yet open. CVS has their typical assortment of food items.

ELduder

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • CORA homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
I'll throw a vote in for Ernie's pretty good and cheap a great pizza combination and there is a booze shop right on the way.
Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association member
International Mountain Bike Association member

Guy

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:20:39 AM »
...so when every thing else drys out. shadow is still closed till the fence comes down.

Just curious if Shadow Run just takes longer to dry or if there are other factors/unique work to be done on that trail in particular.

~Yet another Dave

Yes. the Shadow Run trail generally takes much longer to dry out than the other trails @ VSP. Especially in the cooler months. I'm no geologist, but it appears that certain areas store up water over the winter and release it in the spring. It's like a giant sponge that someone is stepping on. About the only thing you can do with the trails in those locations is be patient and wait for the water to quits seeping out of the ground.....And keep people off of them.... Unfortunately somebody rode Shadow earlier this year and make many deep ruts, slowing the drying process, and creating more work for the few volunteers there are here.
Thanks for the offer to help down here. I'm sure Mike can find something for you to do.
BTW, the official Faceboook page is called; Versailles State Park Mountain Bikers.

beer_belly

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 07:05:22 PM »
Playing hookey from work on Friday and going down for my first ride at VSP ;D

Shreti

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »
Is there a trail that can be ridden on the Hassmer Hill side?  And if so, how do you get to it?  I'm camping in the park through Sunday night and would love to check it out?

DITCH

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »

There are no actual trails built on Hassmer Hill yet. Only a trail there and back. The old road base of Finks Road goes down into the park to the old 4H retreat. It is very cool and worth the ride.
 The trial connects off Grand View at the far north. The connection will take you west down County Road 200N, blacktop/downhill. At the bottom is a small parking area and the trail is just to the right. The first 100 foot section to the creek crossing is rough, but fun. Cross the creek, up the hill. Tough dirt uphill. The trail at the top comes out on Finks road, turn left, 200 ft in through the gate, follow the old road base and injoy.
 If you cannot find the connection off Grand View. Take the fire road out to 200N and go west down the hill.  8)  Thanks to the vision of all the trail volunteers.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:41:34 PM by DITCH »
I would rather ride than walk. Own a bike or two or three.  Life is Good.

M Hill

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »
This warm weekend will be bad for the trails. please remember if you ride do it early when there frozen.  Freeze/Thaw....Freeze/Thaw........Freeze/Thaw
IMBA Member- HMBA Member -CORA Member

cjken78

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »
Anyone been on the trail this weekend ?
Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.
John Muir

DITCH

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
Looked good yesterday. Sprinkles in Oldenburg right now.

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »
Didn't cover Shadow, but everything else is green.  Deadfall on Grandview where it crosses the service road by the back gate.  12-14" log on ground, quick work with a chainsaw.  Everything else cleared, drained.  You don't get a green day in mid December without a lot of upkeep work by the trail crew.  Thanks guys!

DITCH

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »
Road today at 9:30 am. Had a blast. Couple of trees down.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links