Author Topic: East Trail?  (Read 647 times)

tvaughn69

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
East Trail?
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »
Brand new to the sport and this page. I really appreciate all of the info! I live really close to Town Run. While doing research, I saw a map that mentions an East Trail. It looks like you enter at Autumn Woods apartments and it runs all the way to BGI. I drove my car through the apartment complex and couldn't locate the entrance point to the trail. Does anyone have better info on that? Here is the link:   http://files.meetup.com/1044568/Town%20Run%20Trail%20Park%20%26%20East%20Trail%20MTB%20map.JPG    Thanks in advance. Tom

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
Re: East Trail?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
There are user built trails on that side of the river. 

The best way to find them is to park at BGI and Keep heading North.

Because there are no recreational easements on that side of the river, HMBA can't do trail work there or publish maps of the area. 

HMBA President

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bgindy.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
The southern trailhead is behind Arhaus furniture, across the parking lot from BGI.  The trails really do not link up with the ones behind Autumn Woods anymore due to the floods this past year.  But they do come out behind River Bend Apartments, right by the tennis court.

BGI had Spectrum Trail Designs put in a new half mile loop last year, and there is another loop off that trail that adds another half mile.  Beyond that, there's a few other trails, but really just one main one that goes underneath 465 to to River Bend.  Riding the trails up the east side of the river, then roads to TRTP, a loop of TRTP, and back is around 13 miles.

The trails are beginner friendly, and need more tires on them!  I plan on doing some more work to these trails later this fall and winter.  While there is no recreational easement, the trails are ok to ride.

Send me a PM if anyone has questions.  I work at BGI and look out my window at these trails every day.

Nate Hawkins

• HMBA Board
  • Administrator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA web lackey and GIS guru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
I was back there yesterday.  The trails DO still connect up north of 465.  I never found the BGI East trail, to be honest.

The trails back there are quite a hodgepodge.  They are not all user built.

Here is a track of what I rode:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/378084772

There's the BGI trail that's pretty easy to find, behind the Arhus furniture store (kinda behind their dumpsters).  It connects to a trail that appears to have been originally built when the Allison Pointe office park was built.  It has railroad tie posts along it (straight trail along the western edge of the gravel pit) and it connects to paved portions of trail that head into the office park.  It's the green bike path that appears in the Google Map layer.  Go under 465 and you wind up on another trail that appears to have been built by the apartment complex.  There are a few fitness apparati in the woods.  I found what appeared to be a situp bench, and some pullup bars.  At the northern end where I stopped, there was a trailhead parking area with benches and stuff.  There looked to be some trail that went further north, but it got thick with vegetation at times.  That area is kinda poorly defined.  Several spurs that disappeared into the woods and nettles.  I came out with swollen fingers and ankles because the nettles got so thick at times.  The nettles are probably the reason I couldn't find the BGI East trail.  I also saw several printed signs that appeared to be from a nearby Lifetime Fitness.  I also encountered a couple trail runners out there.
2014 HMBA/IMBA At-Large Board Member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association
Indy Ride Guide Program Coordinator
INDYCOG

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:13:36 PM »
You just missed the eastern trails!  After you cross the ditch behind BGI, it used to be pretty clear, but the last flood deposited a beaver lodge (yes, there are beaver back there) right on top of the 3 way intersection, and it's too tangled to remove.  Planning on a re-reroute there this fall.

Nate Hawkins

• HMBA Board
  • Administrator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA web lackey and GIS guru.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:38:25 PM »
You just missed the eastern trails!  After you cross the ditch behind BGI, it used to be pretty clear, but the last flood deposited a beaver lodge (yes, there are beaver back there) right on top of the 3 way intersection, and it's too tangled to remove.  Planning on a re-reroute there this fall.

I wondered if that eroded out ditch was hiding an intersection.  Either way, the connection on the northern end of that loop is also obscured.  I looked, but could not find anything.
2014 HMBA/IMBA At-Large Board Member
Hoosier Mountain Bike Association
Indy Ride Guide Program Coordinator
INDYCOG

tony

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
Just gotta keep looking to the right as you head north along the river.  Hopefully we'll get it cleared out better and ridden in this winter.

tvaughn69

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »
I appreciate all the input. Thank you!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links