Author Topic: Forum Issues  (Read 4031 times)

gmcttr

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Issues
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2013, 02:54:21 AM »
...Basically, anything in the State of Indiana dealing with IDNR property and mtb trail building, has to go through HMBA.  Even if a Southern Indiana advocacy group was formed, it will have to be affiliated with HMBA in order to deal with Indiana.  Am I not correct with this assessment?...

....The long term goal in Indiana is for HMBA to become a Central Indiana focused group, with IMBA chapters around the State.  The IDNR relationship would shift to IMBA to oversee and ensure each local Chapter is working within the guidelines of the IDNR.  As we transition, local groups and choose to not be part of HMBA and IMBA and focus on local parks, they can become IMBA Chapters and work with Andy to develop trails on IDNR property, or they can work under HMBA’s umbrella until they can form their own local chapter....

Sounds like by the time you could form a Southern Indiana advocacy group, you would only have to work with IMBA to access IDNR properties.

wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
That may be what HMBA wants, gmcttr, but it's not up to HMBA unless they simply choose to retract their commitment and leave everyone hanging.  IDNR will have to make this decision and be willing to alter the relationship and deal with multiple organizations or deal with IMBA directly.  As stated, it was IDNR who wanted one state wide representative.  I don't see the relationship changing any time soon, it took this long to get a relationship even established.

deanarammalamma

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »
Hasn't this freakin' thread died yet? GET ON YOUR BIKES AND RIDE! 8)

Paul_Arlinghaus

• Paul Arlinghaus
  • Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • Follow me to the next work session at Town Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
HMBA is an IMBA Chapter, so in reality HMBA and IMBA are the same group.  We have explained this relationship to State Parks, and they understand and are excited about having a paid staff person as a resource.  So, this means that as other local IMBA chapters develop, HMBA will work with the IMBA representative to make sure the local chapters understands the requirements of the MOU and the expectations of the IDNR.  Then, HMBA will be willing to step back and let the local chapters and the IMBA rep take control.

Because of HMBA's location (Central Indiana), HMBA will likely continue to provide support state wide.  We will go to NRC meetings, meeting with State officials, look for State Grants, cover the Trails Advisory Board.

HMBA President

Fett

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
Hasn't this freakin' thread died yet? GET ON YOUR BIKES AND RIDE! 8)
Dean, I think this thread has had some good dialogue and help many people gain a better understanding of how HMBA actually operates. I think there are a lot of misconceptions out there. It has been a net positive. 
Let me help you take advantage of these all time low mortgage rates.  Click here: https://www.mainsourcebank.com/jefffetterer.htm

wanderer

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
If a local chapter is what is needed, then let's get one established here in Evansville. I already have somebody in mind to head it up, just need to ask him and see what he thinks.  I believe he's the perfect man for the job, but he may have a different suggestion, who knows.  Clearly nobody else has been willing to step up down here, so we'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:38:50 AM by wanderer »

Scottyo

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2013, 11:04:08 PM »
Paul, thanks for sharing a brief history on the HMBA. I really appreciate the insight and as a result have a deeper respect for the time and effort put in by everyone involved. Indiana Mountain Biking is the best it has ever been and I personally would like to thank all who have laid the ground work and who continue to build and maintain such an amazing network of trails.

carriek

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »
I understand the issues that are steering you towards the closing of the forum to non-HMBA members. Good leaders support and protect their top performers with utmost priority. The loyal volunteers deserve that.

I would ask you to also consider that HMBA has become not only a regional leader, but also a role model for similar groups.  The HMBA forum is educational and empowering for others who strive to accomplish the same caliber of mountain biking in less mature clubs.  I am no longer living in Indiana, but am still an active participant in the community.  I am an IMBA member and also a KyMBA Bluegrass Board member.  I value this forum as a resource to me and my local club.  I think access to this forum shows why being an IMBA member and having a local IMBA chapter is so important.  I think a less open forum may make more sense in the future when your paid IMBA staff is established and takes over some of the duties that have been taken on by HMBA.

I appreciate those who spend time moderating this forum... must be a huge pain, but your active and engaging forum is really something special.
Bluegrass KymBA Board
IMBA Member
IMBA-ICP Level II Skills Coach

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links