Author Topic: Dirt Bike Race?  (Read 2822 times)

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
  • HMBA/IMBA member and I have the socks to prove it!
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
Re: Dirt Bike Race?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
Will the course be marked by Friday afternoon?

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 11:01:10 AM »
Ryan, the first section you told me about being too soft to ride rode as well as it ever did in the past.
The stuff that was FINISHED rode very well. At the rate they were going, they should have finished it all by the weekend.

Anyone ride it on Saturday or Sunday? Everything else is speculation.

Here's a report I rerad from someone who did ride on Sunday:
Logansport Mtn Trail update. I just returned from riding the trails with C**, J** and P**. I think the race is going to be awesome. While the moto race definitely changed some things, it's pretty much the same but with new trail sections that really make it a fun course. First, I'd like to suggest pre-riding, but ONLY if you are really familiar with the trails there. It's never been easy to find the race trail there, and with the new trails cut haphazardly, it's really hard to find it, so I'm willing to bet most people frustration right now is they can't find the course. But that's ALWAYS been the case, this isn't new. Second, the ruts: there are no 2ft deep ruts. The single track sections are still all the same (except better!) it's just that some of the double track section are now lumpy instead of smooth. I liked it, made it more like a mountain bike course and less road. Third: while some of the single track sections were overgrown (I'm sure that will get cleared by race time), the new sections WERE AWESOME!!! Holy cow, the climb up to what was the walk up is sweet. Technical. Imagine cliff side but a little more rocky. Very cool. Brian, can I assume we're going over the log bridge all the way to the top and turning hard left at the top like before?
I would say the trail is much more full suspension friendly now. I would not suggest riding rigid unless you're in for a bumpy ride. Some rain on Wednesday would be good to stamp down some of the bumpy parts, but the Xterra race on Saturday will actually help smooth in a groove I think. I heard talk of the grating some sections, I really hope they don't do that.

I saw who wrote this.....interesting that this person has never raced a Cat 1 race there.  If I was running 1 lap or 2 then I would suck it up but I don't.  Correct and correct?  Brian I don't blame you one bit for this debacle.  This was all on the park.  They saw $ signs.  They saw NO conservancy.  Racing at other venues when the weather plays a factor on whether to race or not is another subject.  I don't get into that.  I've always thought you made the right call and the race turned out fine.  I'll support ya on this one but please don't down play what we saw and what I think the race surface is gonna be like...   

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • http://www.DINOseries.com
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »

Actually, the person is a Cat1 racer, and has raced Cat1 at France Park.
I'm not thrilled by the way the woods looked after the ATV race, but I'm confident the course itself will be fine.

Whatever. I'm just getting really tired of this issue, so let's just see what everyone thinks after racing and go from there concerning next year and future DINO & HMBA involvement.

playa_lot

• Dry+trail+bike=good
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 08:24:56 AM »
I started this thread and have already commented how disappointed I am in the trail system's condition. Let me give one more piece of info and leave it at that. 

So, I rode the course again last night.  My opinion has completely changed.  After riding the race route -- some things have changed.  1. the bull dozing efforts have compacted the trail, albeit double wide now, into a nice rideable surface.  2. Having a week for it to dry out has made a big difference.  3. the exposed roots and rocks that were once covered, in my opinion, have added a new characteristic to the trail system.  3.  I found out this Motorcross circuit bought out the entire park for their race -- spent a helluva lot of moolah and it went directly to the park.

Look, I hate change as much as the next rider.  The park knows its timing here was awful and is upset at themselves and is worried about how this race and riding in general will be affected at their park.  I spent work sessions their this winter and most definitely overreacted to someone pissing in my sandbox.  I am completely confident in the park and DINO too -- to make this a great race.

I have raced the Xterra race a couple times at France Park but have yet to run the DINO -- I am super exited to go out and compete(i say that loosely) in my first DINO race.

I hope this persuades others to as well.

Slowly dredging trails on my bike.

Bentcrank

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »
Bravo!!! The only good thing about someone taking a dump in the sand box is that it will clump up and can easily be scooped out if you wish.  ;)

RT

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
Lets go racing!

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 03:59:44 PM »
Forgive me for quoting myself, but...

Will the course be marked by Friday afternoon?
?

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »
The course will be marked Friday afternoon... BUT it will be marked for the triathlon. (a similar course, but part of the MTB race course is cut out to become the triathlon run course). You could ride the MTB course by ducking under ribbon in a couple spots.

We will switch markings to be the MTB course by 1 pm Saturday.

Dave Tozer

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
Thanks Brian.

I am studying the MTB and Xterra course maps and it seems to make sense. It looks like "Biker's Surprise" isn't included on Saturday. Also, the run course isn't tied into the MTB course.

So, I will add Biker's Surprise and cross the wooden bridge after doing Stonecutters and Prarie, looping back down on Paw Paw.

gt ss

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
I started this thread and have already commented how disappointed I am in the trail system's condition. Let me give one more piece of info and leave it at that. 

So, I rode the course again last night.  My opinion has completely changed.  After riding the race route -- some things have changed.  1. the bull dozing efforts have compacted the trail, albeit double wide now, into a nice rideable surface.  2. Having a week for it to dry out has made a big difference.  3. the exposed roots and rocks that were once covered, in my opinion, have added a new characteristic to the trail system.  3.  I found out this Motorcross circuit bought out the entire park for their race -- spent a helluva lot of moolah and it went directly to the park.

Look, I hate change as much as the next rider.  The park knows its timing here was awful and is upset at themselves and is worried about how this race and riding in general will be affected at their park.  I spent work sessions their this winter and most definitely overreacted to someone pissing in my sandbox.  I am completely confident in the park and DINO too -- to make this a great race.

I have raced the Xterra race a couple times at France Park but have yet to run the DINO -- I am super exited to go out and compete(i say that loosely) in my first DINO race.

I hope this persuades others to as well.

optimistic view-sounds like plenty of room to pass or be passed  :)

holzhaus

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 07:59:42 AM »

quadracer12

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »
Well, how were the trails?

gt ss

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
as I stated earlier, I have not been to France park in several years so I wouldn't know exactly what to expect.

I though they seemed like rough mtb trails. Sure, I could imagine that a few miles of the double track could have been smoother but I wasn't there on my cross bike so It was ok. It probably helped ME out that it was bumpier than folks were used to. All of the singletrack I saw was in great shape and the new rocky climb was cool. Tough to race on (panting, legs weeping in pain) but very cool.

LEE3

• Do It!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2013, 06:58:56 PM »

Probably 13 years since I've seen Logansport and I have to say I really enjoyed myself today.  An army with rhyno's could do wonders and I'm guessing it will take forever for them to really get the drainage figurd out, but for a race course and hearing that they plan to do the dirt bike race following the mountain bike race next year... I'll be there to race with DINO.   I'm confident they still have a ton of work and that if fine if that is someones job.   It sounds like they want this to be a recreational event venue and to do so it will take the dedication to clean up and readjust for the next big show.   Convention centers, arenas, and concert venues do this all the time and this park is learning.  The atmosphere was great.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links