Author Topic: Tire blew  (Read 1018 times)

gt ss

Re: Tire blew
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »
Your car windows will blow out as well.  We get calls all the time suspecting someone has vandalized their car when they left it sitting in the sun in hot temps with the windows rolled up.  Crack a window and all will be good.
Could this be the broken glass were seeing in the TRTP lot?? Probably not :(

ryantrek

• Patches, the marble jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
 The other day in a BCSP thread, I said.... "you can't fix stupid" and even noted that at times, I am known to pull a dumb move or two.... Needless to say, I brought my bike to work with me today so I can meet up with my group tonight at TRTP after work, and I went out to my car earlier to grab something. I just got done replacing my blown tube. Not a giant blow out by any means, but I had patched this tube, and the patch had literally melted off the tube. Nope, can't fix stupid.

Shark

• Should be riding....
  • I was already riding.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 06:26:08 PM »
Years ago there was a place on the way up to the lake that sold large worn out truck/tractor inner tubes for $5. great for taking to beach & floating.
One overly hot day it was sitting on the hot sand for hours, & BAM! exploded....:) Fun stuff.
Fat is where it's at!......Tires that is.
Moved to Idaho....:) Now I actually *mountain* bike.

Shark

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »
I should mention, if you guys would get with the program, it's all about running low pressure nowadays. This wouldn't happen if you ran under 10 PSI like I do.

john7722

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 06:43:05 PM »
I had one blow off the rim while hitting the tire with  Co2 in Moab. Not only dud it blow off the rim! It bent the rim and broke 7 spokes and scared the crap out of us when it blew.

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 09:00:10 PM »
I should mention, if you guys would get with the program, it's all about running low pressure nowadays. This wouldn't happen if you ran under 10 PSI like I do.
well when I get my moon lander I will run those tire pressures but until then ill have to run my 40 psi on my 5inch travel beast.
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

Shark

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »
well when I get my moon lander I will run those tire pressures but until then ill have to run my 40 psi on my 5inch travel beast.

Moonlander is a cool beast of a bike! The big boys are now releasing some as well, Spec, Trek, & Kona all have some in the works.

40psi?? wow! back when I was on skinny tires I found 25 - 28 to be plenty.....depends how much you weigh though don't want pinch flats (if you run tubes)

Raleighguy29

• Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 06:06:38 PM »
I'm tubeless on my stumpy but I have a 100oz pack I carry now and less then 40 on the rear just wasn't  kosher. And I think I'll stick with the guys that have been making fat bikes the longest and shoot for the moon!!!(lander)
Tubes we don't need no stinking tubes!!

WheezerMF

• Administrator
  • Should be riding....
  • Yep, eleven...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »
The Stan's wasn't as bad to get off as the the glitter was. Had added glitter couple weeks ago to help seal a gash that was having trouble sealing.

When you trade in the car, just tell 'em it's a custom metal-flake treatment.
My collarbone's stronger than your collarbone-- It's ironic!
Give blood; ride a mountain bike:  http://www.cirbc.org/
HMBA Director-at-Large & Comm'ns Dir.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
    • Bicycle Outfitters Indy
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »
I had a tire blow on my bike down at the BCSP DINO, but it didn't happen during the race.  It happened after I loaded the bike in the car. We watched the Cat 3 start, then decided to go eat at El Nopal in C-bus.  When I got to my car, I noticed the rear tire was flat.  Upon closer inspection one of the beads rolled over the rim and there was still Stan's sealant fumes in the air.  I thought, I know I only had about 25 PSI in that tire.  When I got home and removed the tire, I found the culprit:  the kevlar bead failed.  It might have been damaged on installation; I had to help it on the wheel with a lever. 

I was bummed out, cause it was a nearly new Schwalbe Rocket Ron.  I was more surprised that it didn't fail during the race.
David Gardner
Visit Bicycle Outfitters Indy--Indy's Westside Bike Shop
Southwestway Trail Bum

beer_belly

• HMBA-IMBA Member
  • Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »
Thats the same tire I had blow off.  Upon furhter inspection the bead on this tire was also damaged and would not seat, tire had to be replaced.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links