Author Topic: Combs Rd., etc.  (Read 1199 times)

pigfarm

• View Profile
Combs Rd., etc.
« on: June 07, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »
I'm thinking about expanding my horizons a bit and covering some new (to me) ground in the HNF area.  I'm considering putting together Nebo, Combs, some gravel, and some of the favorite HNF loops in past threads here.  Can anyone give me an idea how grown up some of these areas are right now?  I'm looking forward to some old school trail, but a half day of thorny face-slappers is no fun. Also, is Story open on Sundays to buy a tag?  Thx.

Steve Smith

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
    • Smith Brothers Precision Air Systems, LLC
Re: Combs Rd., etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 06:15:10 PM »
Everything out there is good to go, but I think you will probably find a lot of the trails in the HNF are not in great shape at this time due to a lot of horse traffic. I would also avoid the double track part of Nebo. Story Inn is open 8:00am to 2:00pm on Sunday.

luv2hunt

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »
Two questions is the jackson county side of combs road where it starts to get really rough (do to 4x4s ) open for bike riding and also is the road/trail going to the old browning bridge embuckment (Its the road following salt creek past robertson cemetery) open to bikes. I know these places are rough terrain but I llke to explore.

Steve Smith

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:46:27 PM »
Two questions is the jackson county side of combs road where it starts to get really rough (do to 4x4s ) open for bike riding and also is the road/trail going to the old browning bridge embuckment (Its the road following salt creek past robertson cemetery) open to bikes. I know these places are rough terrain but I llke to explore.
Everything you mentioned is in good shape, fun to ride and all open to bikes.

Dave G.

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
  • HMBA Southwestway Park Trail Rep
    • View Profile
    • Bicycle Outfitters Indy
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 11:49:14 PM »

Be prepared to do some climbing!  Last time I drove the road past Robertson Cemetery north, it was pretty steep going down to Salt Creek, and the road tended to disappear into the marsh.
David Gardner
Visit Bicycle Outfitters Indy--Indy's Westside Bike Shop
Southwestway Trail Bum

chuckdlou

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »
if you want some more exploration climb the gravel from nebo parking lot through elkinsville...at the T intersection take a right (a left here would take you up and over combs rd) and cross the old bridge...that road leads all the way to crooked creek boat ramp...

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
I was just wondering about that the other day.  I kayaked an out and back from CC boat ramp to the bridge.  I thought I could see it along the bank.  It looked like it had been mowed at least a aways in from the bridge when we climbed up to take a look.  Does it stay clear most of the year?

I'm going to try to get down to help Alex and crew tomorrow to learn more about that corner of the world.

luv2hunt

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:49:35 AM »
Yea.. three or four years ago my son and I were walking down the road going past robertson cemetary to the browning bridge (and yes those holes are massive also). Well we heard ATVs running and I thought to myself someone is up to a no no.  We keep walking and it was five CO's on ATVs. They grilled us pretty good just for walking...(they wasnt very nice) I started asking questions and they didnt seem to knowledgeable.. The marshes used to have signs that the were closed certain times of the year and they didnt seem to know anything about this.. I asked about bikes and they said as long as I stay on the trail.. (I see CO's down there often while hunting so next time I'm asking again). One of them was a well Known CO... so yes Im sure they werent hooligans impersonating officers. I hate to know how they would have acted if we were doing something wrong... but I know they do have to deal with a lot of crap..

Also they asked me if that was My truck parked a little down from the bridge that is close to the marshes and I said yes is that OK?... they said yes but a few hundred yards and it wouldnt have been... I said well there used to be a gate right past where I was parked. They said someone keeps illegally pulling it down.... since then they have put big limestone slabs up to try to keep the 4x4 out but recently I was down there and someone has went around those.

When I was younger ( 25+ yrs ago) there was a whole abandon farming combine past rough spots.. when we were down there walking this was almost totally gone.... I always thought it was kindof neat because it was out in the middle of total nowhere.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:51:06 AM by luv2hunt »

Steve Smith

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »
Hasn't combs road been reclaimed and closed to 4x4's and all traffic except hunters?
Yes, several years ago and it is being somewhat maintained by a family that has property back there.

chuckdlou

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »
i tend to ride there mainly in the winter when it's frozen as it can get really muddy...plus, i don't think meth cookers prefer temps in the 20s...

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »
I'm planning on a little trip and I need some advice on the trail going north from Robinson Cem towards Salt Creek.  Is it possible to get your bike across the creek at the old bridge abutment if you're willing to get wet?  I'm good with neck deep water and carrying my bike overhead, but I'm not cool with a full blown deep water swim.  I'm looking at a loop from Elkinsville south down Combs to Maumee, then back north past Robinson, across the creek to the trail east back to Elkinsville. Seems like this came up for the Death March or Gravel Grovel, but I cant recall the answer.  Thanks!

Allen Edwards

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »
I wouldn't recommend trying to cross at that old bridge abutment. It's too dangerous.  The bank is steep and muddy, and I suspect the bottom is, too.  Plus, there's deadfall everywhere.  You never know what your legs might get tangled in under there.

About a mile or so upstream is an old bridge that you can get across.

pigfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
That's what I needed.  Thank you!

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links