Author Topic: Thursdays (weekly trail building)  (Read 1654 times)

tmac

• View Profile
Re: Thursdays (weekly trail building)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 07:36:42 AM »
I should be able to make it. See you tonight.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 08:42:46 AM »
We're on for this evening again, at the same spot as last week. Head west from the trailhead where the drive meets the parking lot and you'll see us at the first intersection you come to. We'll work on improving that intersection with a proper switchback. 

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »
I've had one cancellation message and no one else is here except for a coue of riders.
I'm headed home; hopefully we can get something done next week.

Also, the kiosk plexi has been smashed. Anyone ride yesterday or today?
Notice anyone hanging around the lot?

meech

• HMBA-IMBA Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
In was car-less again and at 96 heat index it was hard to get motivated to ride out there. I plan on making it next week.

Bummer about the plexiglass. If budget allows, polycarb (lexan) may be better choice. I'm trying to remember what the Brown county kiosk looks like. Of course, that one is better watched.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Since there's a big work day this Saturday, let's forget about this Thurs evening.  We'll have all fall to make small improvements.  Plus I'm in the middle of packing up for a cross-town move.

(Kiosk has been repaired.  I'm not sure what brand of plastic was in there before, but it's 1/4" Lexan now.)

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:10 AM »
No session tonight.  Self-paced pruning/lopping encouraged.  If you have a weed wrench, you're also welcome to thin out the saplings in tight corridors.  I recommend cleaning up the main blue line between the parking lot and the northwest corner of the Lake Loop. Please post up if you get anything done.

Looking forward to getting back to bench cutting next week. The Hash House Harriers cleared a lot of corridor last weekend on the south side, in addition to cutting in the new switchback below the cell tower. We'll be focusing our efforts there until that reroute is open.  It also looks like we'll have to move the topmost switchback; apx 150 ft of trail encroaches on the cell tower lot, and that belongs to Hoosier Energy now. More on that later.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »
Weather permitting, tonight's session is a go.  5:30-7:30.  Work site will depend on the radar: if it's iffy, we'll stick close to the lot; if not, we'll head over to the south side and work on the reroute that the trail runners started the other weekend (look for the "Trail Closed for Rerouting" sign by the cedar cribwall).

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »
Should be a nice cool evening for benching on the southern slopes.  Hope to see a few people in the parking lot at 5:30.  If you come later, head to the south shore of the Lake Loop and follow the trail up from the "Trail Closed for Rerouting Sign."

Now that local schools are back in session and the IU fall semester is almost here, it's a good time to think about our schedule. Is there another weekday evening that works better for more people?

Update: Heard from the regulars that they can't make it tonight. Let's try again next week.
If you're new and want to get involved, please register so that you can post.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:58:58 PM by Kevin M »

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
I've had a couple of email confirmations, so we're on for tonight. 5:30-7:30, same work site (south side, head up the reroute from the trail closure sign--we're close to the top!).  Feel free to bike up to the site.

New folks, don't be shy.  I'll have work gloves if you need 'em.

Mt. Bike

• Training wheels on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »
Kevin,  This is Jeremy.  I don't know if you guys are planning on working or not, but I'm not going to come tonight.  Let me know next Thursday.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
Sorry for the late posting, but no, let's forego working this week.  The ground is just parched and all of our spoils piles are dust.  We're close to completing the final southside reroute, though.  Hopefully we'll get some significant precip soon.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 09:18:34 AM »
Should be a beautiful evening for it.  Please post up or email me by 4 PM if you can make it.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
Too wet to work tonight.  Next week the focus of the session will be prepping the park for Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day, coming up October 5th.  Stay tuned for details.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »
Thursdays are back! Our focus this week and next will be on grooming the Lake Loop and 1/8 mile challenge loop for TKMBD.

Assemble in the parking lot at 5:30. The kids' loop begins and ends in the lot, and that's where we'll start. There's also a corner on the green connector near the lot I'd like to improve.

Kevin M

• Global Moderator
  • Should be riding....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 08:14:27 AM »
Jeremy and I got the kids' loop cleared and pruned, and we started on the lil' ttf's.  Same time next week to finish up.

Important Links

Join HMBA

Calendar

Trail Guide

Links